Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Alamo

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Alamo map [12/24/12] Pg15

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:33 am

Couple of things gh this time around, firstly, great work so far. Secondly, a couple of graphics things.

See if you can sharpen up the edges for the gold stars. They seem rather blunt.
Gray territ, needs to capital the G
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:28 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Couple of things gh this time around, firstly, great work so far. Secondly, a couple of graphics things.

See if you can sharpen up the edges for the gold stars. They seem rather blunt.
Gray territ, needs to capital the G

Thanks buddy.
HaHa I finally found it. I was looking for the gray territory thinking to myself I don't have a gray shaded area anymore and then realized it was the
area labeled gray. Blonde moment except I am not blonde. :oops: :lol:

I will fix the g=G and the start outline. I will re-do the lines too now that I have a better idea on what to do.

Thanks koontz. Image
Sergeant generalhead

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:39 pm

generalhead wrote:...
Thanks koontz. Image

please don't do this too often...his head will explode. :lol: :lol: :lol:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby generalhead on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Thanks koontz. Image

:lol:
Don't mean to make any ones head big, I am just grateful. :D
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:39 am

cairnswk wrote:
Thanks koontz. Image

Already has.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:27 pm

I tried a few different lines for the territories but can't get any thing to look right but what I already have.
I darkened the outline of the officers insignia
I cleaned up the rope border for the legends
I moved the made by to the left side of the map
Click image to enlarge.

I missed the officer insignia for cox
Sergeant generalhead

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am

This is shaping up nicely generalhead. Pretty solid gameplay. I will have a closer look at bonus values soon but I don't think there should be any problems. And while I'm looking at it, you're missing an "a" in "...and a Texan general to attck our of the Alamo".
Captain nolefan5311

Postby generalhead on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:This is shaping up nicely generalhead. Pretty solid gameplay. I will have a closer look at bonus values soon but I don't think there should be any problems. And while I'm looking at it, you're missing an "a" in "...and a Texan general to attck our of the Alamo".

Thank you sir for checking the game play.
I will fix the typo, thank you.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm

generalhead...some small things...
is it possible to downsize the hospital, chapel and convent text in background so they don't run into other text? Visually to me, it is just a little messy.
also, borders near Romero, Alvarewz and Perez run to the edge of the map....on the other side near Rivera, Vega, Santa Anna, Cos, the borders finish before map edge.
can't quite read your signature
overall though, looking very good. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby generalhead on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:generalhead...some small things...
is it possible to downsize the hospital, chapel and convent text in background so they don't run into other text? Visually to me, it is just a little messy.
also, borders near Romero, Alvarewz and Perez run to the edge of the map....on the other side near Rivera, Vega, Santa Anna, Cos, the borders finish before map edge.
can't quite read your signature
overall though, looking very good. :)

Thanks Carins, I will make sure to address those issues.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I believe I made all of the requested changes
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Alamo map [1/9/13] Pg16

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 am

gh, coming along nicely. A few quick things from me.

Why does the Banks cannon have a double glow?
The borders between the bonuses have a burn layer, turn this of as it looks bad and also nit really needed. The line is thicker, you have coloured glows on all names.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 am

koontz1973 wrote:gh, coming along nicely. A few quick things from me.

Why does the Banks cannon have a double glow?
The borders between the bonuses have a burn layer, turn this of as it looks bad and also nit really needed. The line is thicker, you have coloured glows on all names.

ty koontz.

The Banks and Ceza cannons can attack two regions. This is the only way I could think of to signify that they attack two regions
is to have both regions glows on the cannons.

nolefan5311 requested an easier way to be able to distinguish between the different regions.
should I try something different or just eliminate it all together?
Sergeant generalhead

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am

I think you can get rid of it completely. But to make the regions stand out better, do this for the background.
backgroundbackgroundbackground
What you will have is the same colour all over like you have now, but make each bonus region more stark with the colour choice. Think light, dark, light again. That should get rid of all need for the border burn layer.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:41 am

worked on background colors
How does this look?
Also worked on impassable rivers walls ext. in legends
changed color of the river to make it look a little more realistic
Sergeant generalhead

Re: Alamo map [1/12/13] Pg16

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

Much better IMO. Now I will bug you about some of the other big things. ;)

I hope you saved the territ line paths layer. (You will find this under paths tab). What you need to do is make a fresh layer and redo all the paths. But make sure you use a slightly thinner brush (hope you remember which one you used). Stroke the paths and then erase all of the ones you have now apart from the bonus borders. What you will end up with is two different sizes of territ lines. Thick ones for bonuses and thin ones for regions. Do this right and you can may be put this to bed. Remember what I said earlier to make the paths more natural looking. Less sweeping curves or straight lines, more natural as if the lines are going around things. Think topography maps here.
show: example of topography lines
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 am

generalhead, this is looking real good and you shouldn't be far off from receiving the GP stamp. Quick question though...in your starting territories spoiler in the first post you indicate that 2 and 3 player games each player will start with 12 regions, but then you say that each player will start with 6. Which is it? I'm not sure if you're aware, but players starting with 12 regions is a no-no, so perhaps you need to update that list, or code some neutrals so that each player starts with 11.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 pm

BTW, I'm going to sticky this for the GP stamp. I don't see any glaring issues, just make to answer my question above.

Consider this the last call for any gameplay related comments. If nobody has any issues this will receive the stamp in 48-72 hours.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:BTW, I'm going to sticky this for the GP stamp. I don't see any glaring issues, just make to answer my question above.

Consider this the last call for any gameplay related comments. If nobody has any issues this will receive the stamp in 48-72 hours.

I'll get right on it, thank you sir.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby MagnusGreeol on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:30 pm

-- Wow-- General--
This really has come light-years from when it was first intoduced-- I love it-- Many hours of hard persistent work paying off here-- It looks like a map from the War-list 4sure-- To You and All who have helped along the way- I Salute-----)
Colonel MagnusGreeol

Postby generalhead on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm

MagnusGreeol wrote:-- Wow-- General--
This really has come light-years from when it was first intoduced-- I love it-- Many hours of hard persistent work paying off here-- It looks like a map from the War-list 4sure-- To You and All who have helped along the way- I Salute-----)

Thank you my friend.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby generalhead on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Territory drop count spread sheet has been added to front post.
Territory drop count has been updated.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby ViperOverLord on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:55 pm

The map by gh and tk sig is slightly obtuse. I don't see anywhere to really put it though w/o a map restructure. However, you could get inventive and write it faintly into the water. Something that nobody would usually notice unless they were really looking for it. That'd be kind of cool.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Nice work GH, you should be proud of what you've accomplished so far.

Couple things from me:
- The legend text is a little too black for me, maybe it's my eyes, but I'd like to see it a little toned down.
- The top legend background. It's always bugged me, with that "rope-worm" thing at the bottom, and the one at the top, but especially the bottom one is really throwing it off for me. I think it would be better served with just a plain wood background like the one at the bottom.
- I agree, you need to find a different place for the signature. Possibly on the bottom of that top legend, or like ViperOverLord said somewhere else creative.
- Anyone else think the Ceza and Banks cannons will need to be explained a little? I mean, the double color make sense to me because I've followed the thread, but others may not. I like it, but just wanted to throw it out there.
- I think it would look better to have "Chapel" at the bottom so that it's not under so many lines.
- As you're re-doing the tert lines, it's good to get in the habit of immediately deleting any parts of the lines that overlap things, like the Crockett wall line, etc.
- I would get rid of the black line where the moat hits the edge at Morales and Roz.
- I like the water, nice work on it. Pause...Sorry to say though, I'm just still hung up on the whole water moat itself. The immpassable is nice for gameplay, and I know you tried other ways to show it and have worked very hard on it, but for me I liked it better when it was dirt, and more accurate to the site itself. I mean adding a water moat to the Alamo is a pretty big deal, and a pretty far deviation from reality. It would work just as well being dirt, right, as it would be listed in the legend. It's gotten support this far, but that's just my feeling on the one and only Alamo map the site will have.

Keep up the good work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Winged Cat on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 am

Seamus76 wrote:- Anyone else think the Ceza and Banks cannons will need to be explained a little? I mean, the double color make sense to me because I've followed the thread, but others may not. I like it, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Yeah. New to the thread here, so fresh eyes, and the only thing that didn't make sense was which cannons were pointed at what. Several of the colors are too close together to tell, and it looks like at least one of the Mexican cannons fires clear over the Alamo to bombard Mexican territory on the other side.

Maybe a short note under each cannon saying what it bombards?
Sergeant 1st Class Winged Cat

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box