[Vacation untill July 2014] Massacre à Paris

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [1.12.12] V7-P3 Gameplay

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Looks nice, much easier to read now.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:58 pm

And 2 days later we get this. :D

See cairns, the anticipation of a stamp makes it all the more sweeter when you finally get it. ;)

But GL in the MFW.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 am

koontz1973 wrote:And 2 days later we get this. :D

See cairns, the anticipation of a stamp makes it all the more sweeter when you finally get it. ;)

But GL in the MFW.

Thank-you koontz....i would do if i could have but i couldn't so i'll have to keep criticizing. :twisted:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 am

Criticize all you like. It is like waters of a duck back. Image :P

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:43 am

koontz1973 wrote:Criticize all you like. It is like waters of a duck back. Image :P

My goodness, i have got you in a "good" mood :P
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Ok, I hate to be the one and it may be somewhat due to colorblindness but I have a hell of a time telling which duelers can attack the building without looking very carefully. Cairns, are you completely set on those colors for the pants and how adverse would you be to making them more contrasting for quicker scanning of the map? I think the black pants is a great idea but the other guys have dark pants as well so it takes some effort to make them out at this point.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:Ok, I hate to be the one and it may be somewhat due to colorblindness but I have a hell of a time telling which duelers can attack the building without looking very carefully. Cairns, are you completely set on those colors for the pants and how adverse would you be to making them more contrasting for quicker scanning of the map? I think the black pants is a great idea but the other guys have dark pants as well so it takes some effort to make them out at this point.

NP terrance...there was a suggestion about changing the building guards to their proper uniform which may solve some part of this dilema....i'll see what i can do.
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:52 pm

cairnswk wrote:NP terrance...there was a suggestion about changing the building guards to their proper uniform which may solve some part of this dilema....i'll see what i can do.

Awesome. :)
I'm very much excited to try this map out.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [14.12.12] V8-P3 Gameplay

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
cairnswk wrote:NP terrance...there was a suggestion about changing the building guards to their proper uniform which may solve some part of this dilema....i'll see what i can do.

Awesome. :)
I'm very much excited to try this map out.

FT....i have coloured *HA in the colours of the guards and he has a balck hat. What can you see and is it distinct enough?
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: Massacre à Paris [14.12.12] V8-P5 GP - Guards

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 am

HA stands out a lot better.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am

koontz1973 wrote:HA stands out a lot better.

you can see and i can see it but can FT see it better :)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 am

cairnswk wrote:

Don't care about FT, as long as I can see it and he cannot, should be some easy points for us. :lol:

But seriously, having another man their helps.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 am

koontz1973 wrote:Don't care about FT...

Just as I thought, selfish koontz! totally unsporting.
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:36 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Don't care about FT, as long as I can see it and he cannot, should be some easy points for us. :lol:

lolz!

Purple sleeves and black hat? Oh yeah, I can see it! If the rest of the guards of the buildings are going to have that same outfit it will be most excellently visible. Sorry koontz, looks like it will be an even playing field after all. :D

For future reference I thought I could add some colors that I generally get mixed up/can't distinguish. I do have a pretty common form of color-blindness so it may be useful:

Navy Blue/Black/Dark Grey: These all look more or less alike.
Pink/Light Grey: These tend to look identical a lot of the time.
Brown/Red/Black: Unless the brown is really light(tan) these all look pretty close as well.

The thing about partial colorblindness from what I can tell is that it's all about saturation. If color is on the light or dark side it makes it immensely harder if not impossible to tell the difference, depending on the level of saturation. For example, maps like Iberia are a piece of cake while something like Waterloo is quite challenging.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

lolz!

Purple sleeves and black hat? Oh yeah, I can see it! If the rest of the guards of the buildings are going to have that same outfit it will be most excellently visible. Sorry koontz, looks like it will be an even playing field after all. :D

For future reference I thought I could add some colors that I generally get mixed up/can't distinguish. I do have a pretty common form of color-blindness so it may be useful:

Navy Blue/Black/Dark Grey: These all look more or less alike.
Pink/Light Grey: These tend to look identical a lot of the time.
Brown/Red/Black: Unless the brown is really light(tan) these all look pretty close as well.

The thing about partial colorblindness from what I can tell is that it's all about saturation. If color is on the light or dark side it makes it immensely harder if not impossible to tell the difference, depending on the level of saturation. For example, maps like Iberia are a piece of cake while something like Waterloo is quite challenging.

Thank-you FT. I'll put that in my bag of tricks for later reference! :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Massacre à Paris [14.12.12] V8-P5 GP - Guards

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:56 pm

FT, what about Moscow?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 pm

OK, can anyone think of any better way to indicate the duelers that attack across borders.
At present the guards can attack across the building borders once conquered.
And the other duelers that can attack across borders are indicated by * in front of their name, but i am thinking maybe we can do better than that. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby nicarus on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:48 pm

can HC, CE, CF, and HG attack each other through the shrubs, and if so why not CI and CJ?
Major nicarus

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (7)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:53 pm

nicarus wrote:can HC, CE, CF, and HG attack each other through the shrubs, and if so why not CI and CJ?

You didn't read the legend...sorry nicarus
"All buildings, walls, fences and bushes are impassable"

Plus they are not marker with the asterisk.
"*Duelers marked with an asterisk have access to assault across region borders"

but thanks for taking time to have a look at map. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Massacre à Paris [23.12.12] V9-P5 GP - Guards

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Version 9.
All guards now in picture...8 of them
Guards now have designation G in front of them
plus the legend has been changed.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:11 pm

cairnswk wrote:OK, can anyone think of any better way to indicate the duelers that attack across borders.
And the other duelers that can attack across borders are indicated by * in front of their name, but i am thinking maybe we can do better than that. :)

How about pools of blood at their feet that connect duelers? Sorry that's all I've got atm, I'll think about it. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
cairnswk wrote:OK, can anyone think of any better way to indicate the duelers that attack across borders.

How about pools of blood at their feet that connect duelers? Sorry that's all I've got atm, I'll think about it. :)

1. would you see them except in a colour that isn't blood red? ;)
2. there is already a lot happening at their feet with armies and names.
3. i like that you'll think more about it! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:56 pm

cairnswk wrote:
1. would you see them except in a colour that isn't blood red? ;)

Good point lol.
2. there is already a lot happening at their feet with armies and names.[/quote]
True, but that's where your eye tends to go I think.
3. i like that you'll think more about it! :)[/quote]

Ok, a couple more ideas to denote adjacents:

Dotted lines
Swooping arrows
Footprints (bloody? :P )
Shadows (shade)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
cairnswk wrote:2. there is already a lot happening at their feet with armies and names.

True, but that's where your eye tends to go I think.

Mmmm, now i;m totally doubtful /coz you used "i think" :)
cairnswk wrote:3. i like that you'll think more about it! :)

Ok, a couple more ideas to denote adjacents:
Dotted lines...
Mmm...i was hoping to stay away from these this map, but i'll consider if nothing better arises

Swooping arrows
Mmm, 8 arrows...more stuff to take in when the legend already tells us about bordering duelers
Footprints (bloody? :P )
...Nah! been there ;)
Shadows (shade)
...then somebody would ask why all the others don't have shadows :idea:

I was think about trying to indicate with the directions of the swords so they form a X across the borders, but would also have to have the swords doing the square thing also
like a cross inside a square image.
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 am

cairnswk wrote:
Shadows (shade)
...then somebody would ask why all the others don't have shadows :idea:

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe a tree or a wall or a flag or something casting a shadow on the adjacent duelers but I'm no mapmaker so I don't know how feasible something like that would be.

cairnswk wrote:I was think about trying to indicate with the directions of the swords so they form a X across the borders, but would also have to have the swords doing the square thing also
like a cross inside a square image.

Hmm, yes that could get tricky since the duelers are squished pretty closely as it stands; It may make it hard to tell what's actually going on. Besides, I think that the duelers look pretty cool in the positions they are now, would be a shame to spoil the continuous look of the battle.
EDIT: New Idea. Use the same arrow patterns in the legend on the map instead of in the legend. Most areas are self explanatory so you wouldn't need a whole mess of arrows, just ones to clarify the areas where it gets fuzzy(borders). I don't think it would make the map too busy if they were in a bright red color and thin. I think it would look cool tbh.
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box