Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:56 am

All that xml seems possible to me. I might even be willing to code it myself if there isn't anyone else available.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Keredrex on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Coleman wrote:All that xml seems possible to me. I might even be willing to code it myself if there isn't anyone else available.

Awesome Ill Work on an Image
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby turtle32 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 pm

is this map still going to happen, i was really looking forward to it
Sergeant turtle32

Absolutely

Postby Keredrex on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:16 am

YES...YES...YES....I am working on the image

Postby The Weird One on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:15 pm

mibi wrote:i think this is an excellent idea, however, i think it would be cool if every space had a chess piece that could attack in the manner of its piece. that way, it may not look like a usualy board but it would still take some of the critical thinking involved in chess.

I agree, it's a good idea, but, if possible, it should have as much of actual chess incorporated into it as possible.
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby The Weird One on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:18 pm

also, there shouldn't be a bonus for the empty squares (unless, maybe it's for once you have ALL of them)
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby Keredrex on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:18 am

The Weird One wrote:
mibi wrote:i think this is an excellent idea, however, i think it would be cool if every space had a chess piece that could attack in the manner of its piece. that way, it may not look like a usualy board but it would still take some of the critical thinking involved in chess.

I agree, it's a good idea, but, if possible, it should have as much of actual chess incorporated into it as possible.

also, there shouldn't be a bonus for the empty squares (unless, maybe it's for once you have ALL of them)

If the board had a piece on every square...then What pieces would go where...it would be a mess....who knows how many of each piece and there would be debates about not enough of this or that.... If you make it a Game situation with all the pieces in a Mid Game stance then you could have strategic positions for each piece.... it would be a cleaner looking map...

ALSO, Chess is essentially a representation of 2 (OR 4)
armies on a battle field... Or 2 kingdoms fighting for conquest.... So the squares could essentially be Areas of Value....In chess Holding the center is to have the advantage .. So the empty squares Should have Some value since the pieces that occupy the board are All gonna have bonus value... This makes for a balanced Conquer Club Map since you may have 6 players on this board.....I will have an Image up on thursday

Postby john9blue on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:06 pm

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been busy with school, college apps, and such. Looks like this map is making progress without me being here, which is great! I think the next step is to finalize what the rules will be.

It seems from the posts that the movement will go as follows:
-Pieces attack all empty squares they can normally move to, and any opposite color pieces in range.
-Empty squares attack the 4 adjacent squares.

We haven't really decided on the bonuses yet, though. Here is what I propose:
-All pieces start off neutral, and all players start on empty squares.
-+1 for each pawn, +2 for each bishop/knight/rook, +3 for each queen/king. These should be small, or else the game could quickly get very chaotic.
-+4 for holding all bishops, knights, or rooks.
-If King and Queen of a color are held, +2 for each piece of same color, and +1 for each empty square of same color.

Ideas are welcome.

A few notes for Keredrex:
-In a later draft of the map, I put a black pawn on B2. This is a good idea for two reasons: it gives the blank squares in the upper left corner more access, and it endangers the white queen even more. I recommend you do this, unless you have a reason not to.
-Remember to put john9blue on the map somewhere, I'd like credit for my idea. I figured you were gonna do this anyway, just wanted to make sure.
-You, sir, are awesome, and have been a huge supporter of this map. Thanks!
Last edited by john9blue on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:41 pm

is there going to be a update?
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Keredrex on Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:35 pm

john9blue wrote:Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been busy with school, college apps, and such. Looks like this map is making progress without me being here, which is great! I think the next step is to finalize what the rules will be.

It seems from the posts that the movement will go as follows:
-Pieces attack all empty squares they can normally move to, and any opposite color pieces in range.
-Empty squares attack the 4 adjacent squares.

We haven't really decided on the bonuses yet, though. Here is what I propose:
-All pieces start off neutral, and all players start on empty squares.
-+1 for each pawn, +2 for each bishop/knight/rook, +3 for each queen/king. These should be small, or else the game could quickly get very chaotic.
-+4 for holding all bishops, knights, or rooks.
-If King and Queen of a color are held, +2 for each piece of same color, and +1 for each empty square of same color.

Ideas are welcome.

A few notes for Keredrex:
-In a later draft of the map, I put a black pawn on B2. This is a good idea for two reasons: it gives the blank squares in the upper left corner more access, and it endangers the white queen even more. I recommend you do this, unless you have a reason not to.
-Remember to put john9blue on the map somewhere, I'd like credit for my idea. I figured you were gonna do this anyway, just wanted to make sure.
-You, sir, are awesome, and have been a huge supporter of this map. Thanks!

thanks..... Glad to collaborate with you John for this map...it is progressing nicely and there should be an image by MONDAY

Postby john9blue on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm

I've made a third draft, which looks more realistic than the previous two. It actually has easy to understand bonuses this time! I displayed it on my first post as well.

Anyway, since it's Wednesday already, I figured Keredrex was maybe too busy with his schedule to do the map or something. Which is fine by me, it's not like he's obligated or anything. If you are working on a map, Keredrex, feel free to post it whenever you're done, so people can comment on it.

Thoughts on the new map? :P
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:19 pm

john9blue wrote:Thoughts on the new map? :P

1. the frame you used is copyrighted by stockphoto. get rid of it.
2. you're still working in paint. because i admire your efforts i feel the need to urge you to learn a better software. until you do that you'll never get this map quenched. paint simply sux no matter how talented you are.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 pm

DiM wrote:paint simply sux no matter how talented you are.
We could make you eat those words, but I'll hold back... For now...
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby oaktown on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:25 am

DiM wrote:1. the frame you used is copyrighted by stockphoto. get rid of it.
2. you're still working in paint. because i admire your efforts i feel the need to urge you to learn a better software. until you do that you'll never get this map quenched. paint simply sux no matter how talented you are.

The frame looks very nice, but is more appropriate for a painting on a wall than as the border of a chess board. Even if it wasn't stock image I'd say lose it.

And I don't know Paint at all, but how is it that the frame can look so clear yet the text is so terribly pixelated?

some aspects of the legend aren't clear: "With King & Queen of same color: chess piece 2, empty square 1" - I thought this meant you get +1 for any empty square (empty being a bad choice of words to being with, because if it has armies on it it's not empty), which would be a crazy huge bonus in addition to the +6 you alread get for owning the king and queen, but in reading above it's only a +1 for squares of the same color... still a crazy bonus.

Bonuses: I'm not sure about giving a bonus for holding all four rooks, etc... seems like you'd want to give bonuses for holding rooks of the same color if that's the kind of play you're encouraging with the king/queen bonus.

I'd even suggest NOT giving bonuses for single pieces, but only for pairing them up with like colors... if somebody gets lucky on their first turn they'll grab a king on round 1, start round 2 with six armies, take the like color queen in round 2 and the game is over. Make players earn that first bonus - pair the king/queen of each color, knights, rooks, and bishops; give a +1 for holding any two like color pawns. It'll take some work writing the code, but it's workable.

You have two different types of pawns on the same map - inconsistent graphic element.
Captain oaktown

Postby DiM on Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:22 am

Coleman wrote:
DiM wrote:paint simply sux no matter how talented you are.
We could make you eat those words, but I'll hold back... For now...

yes i know by showing me one of those cool videos where a guy draws monalisa in paint. but even if that guy would come and use his great skill in paint to make a map he still wouldn't be able.

one simple request like. move that border or put bevel into that text and stuff like that would mean he has to redo the image instead of applying a simple effect with 2 clicks. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm

That might be a good idea. I'll change the bonuses so that they only apply to both pieces of the same color. The King and Queen will now only give a +2 bonus for each piece of the same color. I still think that I should give a +1 bonus for a pawn, otherwise they might as well be blank spaces. Remember, though, all of the pieces will start off neutral.

After taking a serious look at this map, I'm going to have to agree that MS Paint won't get the job done. I'm pretty sure I've used every tool at my disposal. That being said, I downloaded the Photoshop CS3 Extended free trial and am going to revamp this map sometime soon (once I learn how to use layers, lol). Remember, if you have an inspiration for this map, feel free to create your own image. I'm not exactly a pro graphic artist. :roll:

Update (10/20/07):
I'm mad at myself for not using Photoshop from the start... it's a breeze to learn, and it's so much easier than MS Paint! Anyway, here's the new version:

Discuss, criticize, review, worship, and comment on this map. :D
Captain john9blue

Postby john9blue on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:09 am

Sorry for the double post, but it's been almost a month, and apparently this graphical update went unnoticed. This map has received some support from the community, so it's probably ready to be moved to the Foundry, unless anyone thinks the gameplay needs to be changed. What do you think? :)
Captain john9blue

Postby dominationnation on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Looks great to me but could you please tune down some of the glow comming out form the pieces in the legend. Its sort of distracting.
Cook dominationnation

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:32 pm

surprised there was no mention of this again, its a nice looking map. will look at the playability at a more opportune moment, but keep going with it.

to the foundry, yes.
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Spockers on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:08 pm

Don't really go for it myself, but at least label it right. ie: don't use A, B, C etc. Use 'Queen', 'King's rook', 'Queen's bishop' and so on.
Private 1st Class Spockers

Postby newline on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:38 pm

personally I like with the A,B,C 1,2,3 cause you can attack empty squares, but if you are going to go with the labeling black peices are lower case while whit's are UPPER. the correct labeling is Queen:Q King:K Rook:R Knight:K Bishop:B Pawn:P

on a new topic: the board is completely messed up. the pawns are on the wrong sides, both kings are in check, and anyone with some knowledge of the game would never leave multiple pieces hanging.

other than that I like the idea, keep up the work.
Sergeant 1st Class newline

Postby darth emperor on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm

numbers has to go from down to up
letters has to go from right to left

H G F E D C B A
There's a huge difference
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby unriggable on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Lot of space wasted on instructions, make them not as prevalent in the image by sizing down the text & pictures. We are focused on the map after all.
Cook unriggable

Postby Qwert on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Hes what i see:
1.In legend Letters is very bright.
2.Who size of board is for White and who size is for Black? :?
3.You need explane attack route.
4.How you will put Army numbers?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby darth emperor on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:57 am

qwert wrote:Hes what i see:
2.Who size of board is for White and who size is for Black? :?

H G F E D C B A
8 black
1 white

coz like u did the white have 6 powns to the end and changes a lot,only u have to change the number and all will be right

a1=white
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box