[Abandoned] - Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby newline on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:38 pm

personally I like with the A,B,C 1,2,3 cause you can attack empty squares, but if you are going to go with the labeling black peices are lower case while whit's are UPPER. the correct labeling is Queen:Q King:K Rook:R Knight:K Bishop:B Pawn:P

on a new topic: the board is completely messed up. the pawns are on the wrong sides, both kings are in check, and anyone with some knowledge of the game would never leave multiple pieces hanging.

other than that I like the idea, keep up the work.
Sergeant 1st Class newline

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby darth emperor on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm

numbers has to go from down to up
letters has to go from right to left

H G F E D C B A
There's a huge difference
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby unriggable on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Lot of space wasted on instructions, make them not as prevalent in the image by sizing down the text & pictures. We are focused on the map after all.
Cook unriggable

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Qwert on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Hes what i see:
1.In legend Letters is very bright.
2.Who size of board is for White and who size is for Black? :?
3.You need explane attack route.
4.How you will put Army numbers?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby darth emperor on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:57 am

qwert wrote:Hes what i see:
2.Who size of board is for White and who size is for Black? :?

H G F E D C B A
8 black
1 white

coz like u did the white have 6 powns to the end and changes a lot,only u have to change the number and all will be right

a1=white
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby john9blue on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:33 am

Well, it seems like there's finally some discussion about this map, now that it looks somewhat professional. I took some of your suggestions and redid the graphics, and the latest version of the map is here. Comment and suggest like always. :wink:
Last edited by john9blue on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby Gnome on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:43 am

Why starting a thread in the foundry? this topic will move there once the moderators think it's time to move there...

as for the map:

I like the idea...

-I don't know if you tryed this but maybe you can make the pieces look some more 3D...maybe that looks good?
-I don't get the '+1 per piece of the same colour...
So if you own 2 pawn's of whit you get +2
Or you get +1 if you own 2 of the same colour?

-For the rest of the map...play a bit around with everything, I'm sure you can do better
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 am

My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

Also the black pieces are hard to see on the black squares...

However the board and the rest of the map looks sweet...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby benjikat on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:07 am

yeti_c wrote:My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

I think you've got the king and queen the wrong way round yeti...
Sergeant 1st Class benjikat

Medals: 1
General Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 am

benjikat wrote:
yeti_c wrote:My main concern is that the pieces are in an illegal position - both kings are in check - and this is impossible in a game...

I think you've got the king and queen the wrong way round yeti...

Bugger - I didn't look properly - I looked at this thread the other day and they were both in check...

You're right tho - this is sorted now... ignore that point!!

But the black on black problem is still evident.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby Rictus on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:42 am

Question - can black pieces attack other black pieces? Obviously has a major impact on strategy... Love the idea – hope you stick with it.
Corporal Rictus

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby john9blue on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:16 pm

There seems to be a great deal of support for the idea of a chess map, but this topic has gone inactive twice, even after I took people's suggestions and made updates. This thread is ready for the Foundry in my opinion... it would certainly get more activity there. It would be a shame to see this idea die after 6 updates and support from the community.

Anyway, I made a modification. The Objective feature that I saw in Age Of Might gave me an idea. The objective of this map could be to have every piece of a color, plus the opposing king, similar to a 'checkmate' in real life chess. Also, the name is changed from 'Conquer Club Chess' to simply 'Chess'. This is partly because it gives me more room, and partly because I don't want it confused with Cairns Coral Coast. (One of my favorite maps, by the way.) :)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm

why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 pm

ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

of course thats just from a coding point of view, cause its hard enough already to code
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 pm

bryguy wrote:why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)

neither king is in check

but as to how the queens got in that HORRID position i do NOT want to know, no matter what either player does BOTH of those queens are dead meat
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box