[Abandoned] - Chess

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 pm

Herakilla wrote:
bryguy wrote:why are the kings in check??? and i like the idea, but the map could use some modifications maybe (still looking at it so ill let u know)

neither king is in check

but as to how the queens got in that HORRID position i do NOT want to know, no matter what either player does BOTH of those queens are dead meat

oh those are the queens? look like the kings from one of my chess boards
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:58 pm

ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:59 pm

Herakilla wrote:ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns

that makes no sense, it should be the other way around :roll:
Corporal bryguy

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 pm

bryguy wrote:
Herakilla wrote:ya the king is the one with the more pope like shape and the queens are the crowns

that makes no sense, it should be the other way around :roll:

i remember that old program but i learned with the board game and that has the queen with a crown and the king with a cross (like the pope) so i think this way makes perfect sense
Lieutenant Herakilla

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 pm

chess is so fun! i had a match up for school where i beat my opponent before everyone else was done so he wanted another game

i proceeded to bash him in 14 more games before other people started finishing lol and i used a different strategy for 10 of them, the last 4 all i did was exchange my pieces for his same ones since i can control my pieces better lol, it kept ending up with my 2 rooks and queen vs his queen and king
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby bryguy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:16 am

Herakilla wrote:chess is so fun! i had a match up for school where i beat my opponent before everyone else was done so he wanted another game

i proceeded to bash him in 14 more games before other people started finishing lol and i used a different strategy for 10 of them, the last 4 all i did was exchange my pieces for his same ones since i can control my pieces better lol, it kept ending up with my 2 rooks and queen vs his queen and king

lol last time i played chess with people OTHER than someone im related to, i whooped them all, except the first person i played, me and him got a stalemate :?

oh well, i just thought that the king was the queen and the queen was the king cause u cant see the cross on the kings crown
Corporal bryguy

Postby Rictus on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Rictus wrote:Question - can black pieces attack other black pieces? Obviously has a major impact on strategy... Love the idea – hope you stick with it.

*cough*
Corporal Rictus

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby john9blue on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Nope, it's just like a regular chess game. You can only attack pieces of the opposite color.

Also, I know this is a bad setup, but I am saving any serious discussion about it for a further stage of development. Maybe I can provide a legend that shows how the pieces move, who knows? :)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby hecter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:58 pm

bryguy wrote:ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

of course thats just from a coding point of view, cause its hard enough already to code

I wouldn't worry about coding if I were you. Besides, do you even know xml? It would just look like this:
Code: Select all
<objective>
   <components>
      <component>Piece1</component>
      <component>Piece2</component>
      <component>Piece15</component>
   </components>
</objective>

Do that twice and there ya go. Objective complete!
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bryguy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:10 pm

hecter wrote:
bryguy wrote:ok, i see one thing that may be hard, the objective.

of course thats just from a coding point of view, cause its hard enough already to code

I wouldn't worry about coding if I were you. Besides, do you even know xml? It would just look like this:
Code: Select all
<objective>
   <components>
      <component>Piece1</component>
      <component>Piece2</component>
      <component>Piece15</component>
   </components>
</objective>

Do that twice and there ya go. Objective complete!

forget what i said earlier, that was before somebody came up with a program to help with the placing of armies so now i can do xml with ease

and yes i do know xml
Corporal bryguy

Postby hecter on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:13 pm

What the hell does army coordinates have to do with the objective?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby bryguy on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:41 am

no not the objectives, the xml, im great at all parts of xml EXCEPT for where the location of the armies are on the map
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:32 pm

why was this quit....
Corporal bryguy

pieces +1

Postby herndawg on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

What if all pieces started nuetral and they are +1 bonus when held, or for every two pieces +1, the first to own all of one color and conquer king of other color wins?
Captain herndawg

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby premio53 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am

I used play chess in tournaments. Would it be possible to have several different starting positions for a starting setup? You could have The English Opening, Ruy Lopez, Queen's Gambit, Sicilian Defense, Dutch etc. There are enough openings to be able to have a different start for just about every game. Just a thought.
Major premio53

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:04 pm

bryguy wrote:why was this quit....

I'd be willing to start it up again. People approved of the idea, but it never got moved to the Foundry (where it would get better discussion), so nobody suggested anything more and it died.

herndawg wrote:What if all pieces started nuetral and they are +1 bonus when held, or for every two pieces +1, the first to own all of one color and conquer king of other color wins?

All pieces are starting neutral, and the objective is to hold all of one color and the opposing king. The piece bonuses can change if they need to, maybe later on I'll start a poll.

premio53 wrote:I used play chess in tournaments. Would it be possible to have several different starting positions for a starting setup? You could have The English Opening, Ruy Lopez, Queen's Gambit, Sicilian Defense, Dutch etc. There are enough openings to be able to have a different start for just about every game. Just a thought.

That would be cool, but I don't know if that's possible, I'd have to ask an XML expert or a mod or something. I want all the pieces to start off with a large range of mobility (i.e. no rooks stuck in the corner), which is why they're scattered around like this, and not in the starting position. :)
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:09 pm

john9blue wrote:Image

Well, it seems like there's finally some discussion about this map, now that it looks somewhat professional. I took some of your suggestions and redid the graphics, and the latest version of the map is here. Comment and suggest like always. :wink:

I don't think you should get +1 for holding only 1 pawn and i also don't think you should get +1 for each of the same colour held if you hold royalty as this would just mean that royalty would hold the key to the battle, it gets too big a bonus.

If you did this each royalty would have to start with a neutral of 10 or something.

Otherwise great map. :)
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby john9blue on Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Mr Unbeatable wrote:I don't think you should get +1 for holding only 1 pawn

Possibly, but then there would be no incentive to capture a pawn. Plus, it provides a good starting point for more armies.

Mr Unbeatable wrote:i also don't think you should get +1 for each of the same colour held if you hold royalty as this would just mean that royalty would hold the key to the battle, it gets too big a bonus.

If you did this each royalty would have to start with a neutral of 10 or something.

As far as the royalty bonus, I took that away in the sixth draft, which was posted almost two months ago. You didn't look at the most recent image. :wink:
Captain john9blue

good

Postby baggins994 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:18 pm

ive been wanting a chess map for a long time and i love it

i do like the idea for different starting positions though b/c the one you have just seems random
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
linkspot.weebly.com
^^ Go Here!!! Plz!!^^
Highest Rank/Score: Sergeant 1430
Private baggins994

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:44 pm

well, it might be pretty hard to program, but could it be made so that you can move the chess pieces for "fortification" stage? (this question is for programmers, not the map designers.)
I am voting Republican now. The Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth -Monica Lewinski
Lieutenant Mr_Adams

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 pm

Like change the graphics according to your move?

no.

and i think you should have a scene(is that the right word?) from a famous game.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

well all pieces must be attackable...
I am voting Republican now. The Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth -Monica Lewinski
Lieutenant Mr_Adams

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby lord voldemort on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm

yer how are you doing attack routes etc?
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (3)

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm guessing the way chess pieces move (look at the map where the movement of chess pieces is shown...)
Lieutenant Mr_Adams

Postby john9blue on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 am

Here's a midgame setup I found. Does this look good?

Have +1 for each pawn, +2 for each rook, bishop, or knight, and +3 for each king or queen. They'd start off with different amounts of neutrals.

The kings are guarded and off to the sides, so they will be hard to get to in order to achieve victory.

lord voldemort wrote:yer how are you doing attack routes etc?

Pieces attack anywhere they could move in real life chess. This includes moving onto pieces of the opposite color. Troops on an empty square can move up, down, left, or right. In this particular case, I think pawns should always move to the space in front of them, because in real life chess, pawns like the ones at b4 and b5 couldn't move. Or maybe we should keep it like that? A sort of Alcatraz-like thing. That might be cool. :)
Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box