[Abandoned] - Classic Maya Era

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Herakilla on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:51 pm

you should get a bonus for holding a castle and then an opposing castle's lands afterall they got tribute on the warpath
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:44 am

Alright, putting up a lousy image doesn't inspire feedback. Any thoughts now?

Note that it is still in draft phase... I just wanted to get the basics on there: territories, rivers, mountains, major cities. I'll be adding some subtle color to link the tributary cities with the major cities, and those arrows have to go.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby babinecz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:44 pm

looks great, nice call on the finding the zapotec name for Monte Alban, i didn't know that, i still say the trade route bonus is a cool idea still
Sergeant babinecz

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby RjBeals on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful map already. The bonus structure seems okay also. I really love the look of the map, and I think a lot of other cc'ers will also. Will the major cities start neutral? Nice work oaktown.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:52 pm

RjBeals wrote:Will the major cities start neutral?

I thought about it, but if they did the map would have 36 starting territories, which is bad for gameplay in two and three player games because the first player can instantly knock down somebody else's first turn placement.

The major cities (for which I could use a better name) would only receive a bonus in conjunction with at least three surrounding cities, so my hope is that it would be hard to fluke a bonus to start. Maybe somebody who is more mathematically inclined can figure out what the odds would be of somebody starting with a bonus?

I'm also hoping an XML update goes through that allows continents to be elements within other continents, or else the XML for this will be a drag.
Captain oaktown

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby mibi on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 pm

looks good, but I think the territory borders are too clean and smooth for such a jungle ridden area.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:33 pm

oaktown wrote:I thought about it, but if they did the map would have 36 starting territories, which is bad for gameplay in two and three player games because the first player can instantly knock down somebody else's first turn placement.

Uh oh... My dustbowl starts with 36 territories :)
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:43 pm

RjBeals wrote:
oaktown wrote:I thought about it, but if they did the map would have 36 starting territories, which is bad for gameplay in two and three player games because the first player can instantly knock down somebody else's first turn placement.

Uh oh... My dustbowl starts with 36 territories :)

that's alright, so do many other maps including my berlin. no sweat.

and yes, the borders will be redrawn - i made quick work of those, and they don't even line up correctly in most places.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby Coleman on Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:38 pm

mibi wrote:looks good, but I think the territory borders are too clean and smooth for such a jungle ridden area.
Agreed, at the very least the color is wrong.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:27 pm

Omg, the mts are beautiful!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby oaktown on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Omg, the mts are beautiful!

thanks... I'm especially proud of the volcano up north. :)
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby SWeko on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:40 am

I really like the artwork and the color scheme, please don't change it (much).

However if the cities don't start neutral there might be severe imbalance in the initial drop for 2 and 3 player games (and that usually works against me).
I'll try to work out the probability later, if i have the time.

I would suggest making the cities neutral, and adding a couple more territories to offset the 36 terrs problem (39 should be fine).
Additionally, the cities could start with only 1 or two neutral armies...
Captain SWeko

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:22 pm

I like this idea. Perhaps "metropolis" instead of "majory city"...but that may not fit with the Mayan theme. I seem to recall there being a "historical" term for big cities...but it eludes me.

Perhaps you could use "Sacred Cities"...I.E. implying an important temple or something of the like.

Regarding the bonus structure, so if I held:

Copan (Major)
========
Mixco, Quirigua, Seibal
========
Tikal (Major)

Would I get a bonus of 4? Just making sure I understand the "Adjoining" :)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby rebelman on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:40 pm

instead of major city "ceremonial centres" which is a historically accurate desription of hat they were.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:40 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Regarding the bonus structure, so if I held:

Copan (Major)
========
Mixco, Quirigua, Seibal
========
Tikal (Major)

Would I get a bonus of 4? Just making sure I understand the "Adjoining" :)

That would be no bonus... the idea is that you'd have to hold Copan and three cities that immediately border it. When I get back to work on the map in a couple of weeks I'll come up with some sort of color scheme to indicate which cities are tributaries of which major/ceremonial cities. I already have some thoughts, but for now it's pretty half-baked.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box