[Abandoned] - Medieval Denmark

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Medieval Denmark-Full map is up!

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 pm

for some reason i dont think that the beige "parchment" (the land that is not being used eg. below denmark) - well i dont think that that goes with the theme of the map. the rest of the colours are very dark and to have a light colour i don think that works...i dont know if thats just me or anyone else???
also the legend needs fixing
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 pm

t-o-m wrote:for some reason i dont think that the beige "parchment" (the land that is not being used eg. below denmark) - well i dont think that that goes with the theme of the map. the rest of the colours are very dark and to have a light colour i don think that works...i dont know if thats just me or anyone else???
also the legend needs fixing

Ok, I had been thinking that as well actually, I'll replace it with a dark brown next update
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:53 pm

A good improvement, Balsiefen. Kudos on the work you've put in so far.

Main gripe: Borders are TOO jagged and uneven, particularly around the sea, it looks like a person with rheumatism drew them.
Second gripe: The legend box doesn't contrast as well as it could with the bonuses you put.
Third (and final) gripe: Medieval Denmark looks fine in that font, but the Reign of what's-his-name is almost unreadable entirely. Suggest switching to the font you use for territories and bonuses, which is quite good.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:55 pm

This is looking pretty good. Here are a few suggestions:

The outermost coastal borders are very pixely/jagged looking, and not in a good way. It's kind of hard to look at.

I both love and hate the territory name font at the same time. It does a really good job of conveying the medieval spirit, but is hard to read in a few places. Could you either make the size a bit bigger (not sure if you have room in some of the territories) or change it to another gothic font that's a bit clearer?

The water doesn't look particularly...watery. I think it could go a few shades darker - not much, but a bit. Also, you could consider increasing the opacity of the texture on it slightly to increase the perception of waves.

For ease of viewing purposes, could you switch the colors of the Red (?) and Blue (?) continents? The current red-green contrast (Between Red (?) and N. Jutland (?))will be difficult to see by colorblind people.

It's hard to tell what continent the tiny island in the center (Anund? I'm not positive because the font is small) belongs to. The above change between Red and Blue should help fix that, though.

There's a lake in the unplayable area in Sweden that's not colored in - the northmost one.

I agree that the legend box doesn't look great right now, but I don't really have any constructive comments. Maybe you could move it a few pixels down and left so it gets a top and right border?

I think that about covers it :)
I look forward to seeing the next version.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:39 pm

I have two suggestions to start off:

1. find a different font.
----this one is very difficult to read.

2. make the edges (the big black ones) between the land and water a TON smaller.
----right now they are just sort of dominating the map, and its kinda difficult to see any gameplay with those lines so big.

I'll come back once the black lines are fixed and comment on gameplay. Right now they are blocking the map up too much, making it hard for me to see what attacks what.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:53 pm

That text is horrible, please change it.
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks guys for some really useful posts there, that should keep me going fo' a bit ;)
Right, split up into the main probs:

Font
This is going to be the most interesting one due to rather a shortage of suitable fonts. However, there are a few i have which, while being less medievally, should be easily readable. The next version i post will have a selection of fonts for you to decide on.

Coast boarders
I can see your point with this actually. I have thinner boarders dividing off the continents, do you thing replacing the coast with that style would be better?

Water
Darken the blue and turn up the opacity-no probs

Red/blue cont switch
again, thats pretty easy

Font(for "reign of vlademar ect)
I can change that. Is the rest of the font in the bonus box easily readable to yous?

Bonus box
As this is on a seperate layer, and i can change it anytime, I'll leave it 'till some of the other stuff is sorted.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:53 am

Balsiefen wrote:Coast boarders
I can see your point with this actually. I have thinner boarders dividing off the continents, do you thing replacing the coast with that style would be better?

Yes, that would be a major improvement.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 am

Medieval Denmark V1.1
Click image to enlarge.

Right, this map has got the easy things done, sea is darkened, and cont colours altered.

Graphics test 2
Click image to enlarge.

This map has our tricky stuff on it.
Each continent has its own fonts, I'm afraid these are the only fonts I can find which look good.
I've erased the coast boarders in places and put in three new types of boarder, which is best?

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:27 am

I like the font used on Syaland the best. The coast at the tip of Jutland is the best, I think.

Could you make the sea a tiny bit bluer?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:44 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I like the font used on Syaland the best. The coast at the tip of Jutland is the best, I think.

bluer yes,
why is there some sort of creamy/white-ish boarder on some boarders on the graphics test?
the key/legend looks out of place, like it hovering or fixed there (complete opposites i know!).
im not too keen on the font youre usuing for the key, i know that that goes with the theme but for some reason its not for me - that is probably just me though :)
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:14 pm

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I like the font used on Syaland the best. The coast at the tip of Jutland is the best, I think.

bluer yes,

Will do.

why is there some sort of creamy/white-ish boarder on some boarders on the graphics test?

That is just where i erased the boarder and didn't replace it, dont worry, its only there untill we have a final decisision on coastline.

the key/legend looks out of place, like it hovering or fixed there (complete opposites i know!).
im not too keen on the font youre usuing for the key, i know that that goes with the theme but for some reason its not for me - that is probably just me though :)

like i said, the key is just there because i have not got round to changing it (which i will when the graphics for the rest of the map are more settled) I'll make it look good later, but for now treat it as purely functional.

Postby Balsiefen on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:28 am

Does everyone else agree with this then?

Re: Medieval Denmark-V1.1 and Graphics test! NEW POLL-font/coast

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:55 am

A few more votes would be nice please, and comments are always welcome. :)

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm

I like the red continent (as yet unnamed) and Syaland. Either of them would work for me.

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:38 pm

I changed my vote from Syaland to the Dark Red in Sweden. So far, the old font seems to be winning, though. :(
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:58 am

Yes it definatly seems to be a love it or hate it font, thats quite interesting but also rather complicated :-k

Re: Medieval Denmark-V1.2 and Graphics test! NEW MAP UP!

Postby Balsiefen on Tue May 13, 2008 9:13 am

Medieval Denmark 1.2
Click image to enlarge.

Current map comments
Okay chaps, I've redone the boarders after the results of the poll, Any good? I've also kept the old font for now, but left the poll and graphics test up in case we need to come to a new descision on that.

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 13, 2008 1:59 pm

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think that the map looks "bad" because its borders are TOO accurate. There's no generalization on the edges like in other maps, making any stray pixels look bad instantly. I would say instead of total accuracy, scaling it back a little bit and creating straighter lines will help out the map's look tremendously.

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue May 13, 2008 3:56 pm

I rather like the current style of borders. It looks like it was hand-drawn, which is good for a medieval map.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Balsiefen on Tue May 13, 2008 4:39 pm

One thing about the boarders, i drew them when the background texture was invisible, for some reason, this made rather unnapealing brown bits in the borders, making them look strange. Anyways, I've already started getting rid of those, but it may take a bit before i get enough free time to compleate it.

As for streightening out boarders, I may try to iron it out in a few places where it compromises graphics, but wheter I go further will have to depend on what other people think.

Re: Medieval Denmark-V1.21 & Graphics test!-Boarders touched up

Postby Balsiefen on Fri May 16, 2008 1:57 pm

V1.21
Click image to enlarge.

Touched up the boarders to get rid of those grey bits.

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 2:19 pm

Some of the borders still look a bit pixely.

Do you have names for the Blue and Red continents? I guess you could call them Mid and South Jutland, if you needed to...

I think the water could be made a bit darker still. I like the relative amount of each color in it, just make it darker.

You need attack lines to connect the many island territories.

This is looking good, though :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Balsiefen on Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks Zeak :)

ZeakCytho wrote:Some of the borders still look a bit pixely.

Righto, could someone pick me an example so I know what I'm looking for?

Do you have names for the Blue and Red continents? I guess you could call them Mid and South Jutland, if you needed to...

I'll look into that.

I think the water could be made a bit darker still. I like the relative amount of each color in it, just make it darker.

Sure, I was holding back a little as I'm a little worried about it getting too similar to the blue in jutland, I'll have a little play anyway.

You need attack lines to connect the many island territories.

This is looking good, though :)

Aye aye, I'll take a look at doing that as well. Got a free weekend which should help.

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Balsiefen wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Some of the borders still look a bit pixely.

Righto, could someone pick me an example so I know what I'm looking for?

I think the continent border between Halland and unplayable Sweden, specifically near Hox and Halmstath, is the best example. Other areas include:
Ostaerst - Unplayable
Barae - Othaens
Istathe - Eilaem
Red (?) - Blue (?) continent borders
Lofraeth - Abo

There may be more, but those happened to catch my eye. Also, the border between Laland and Falstaer isn't fully visible - maybe move the Laland text over to the left so it's more clear?
Captain ZeakCytho

Next

Return to Recycling Box