[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:50 pm

t-o-m wrote:i think the legend need lightening up, but it looks good, well done =D>

refresh ;)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v7--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

RjBeals wrote:Looking good Kap.

I think I prefer the white borders over the black, but I'm not so sure about the main continent inner glow. It makes it look kind of weird to me. The slight drop shadow on the whole map looks good. I hope you're going to do something with the background though. It's gotta go. Noise / Motion Blur. No good for Switzerland. But I do like your style - it reminds me of mine!

Also - I'm not too thrilled with the map border and the main title, and you sig. They're okay but I think you could improve. The colors are great, the borders are nice (although my opinion is they almost too jagged in places - they could be smoothed out a bit). The territ names are fine for me. There are a few places that look too cramped and confusing. A smaller font may help.

Nice job though Kaplowitz. You've got good talent.

Wow, i completely missed that post!

1-I can change the BG, i will try some other things next update
2-Thanks about the style comment, actually when making the base for the map and the icy colors i kept thinking of a mix of Feudal War and Iceland. :)
3-I can fool with the title and stuff
4-I just used this map:
Click image to enlarge.
image

for borders, and i figured that jagged borders were just how Switzerland was! I can smooth them out if you think that it is hard to tell what is where.
5-I can make the font smaller
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 pm

I preferred the black text with white glow to this new one, personally. I also liked the black borders better, but these new white one's aren't terrible.

I'd keep the title just as is; I really love the font on it right now.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I liked the black better too, but it really had brightness issues, and this definitely helps that IMO.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 pm

I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm

gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?


Reallyed toned down blues and purples may work. But I think nutral may work better than cold.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm

this is my first look at this map, and i gotta say that i like the look
Corporal bryguy
 
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:50 am
Location: Lost in a Jigsaw
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 am

if you were going for the "cold" theme, you could perhaps have snow-capped mountains, and a little bit of light blue with a very low ocpacity around the mountains and a little on the mountains?

just a thought
Colonel t-o-m
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Redistributing wealth
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I can put a poll.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent

[/threadjack]

personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that), but i think that a switzerland theme would be great if yuo could pull it off, which i think youre capibal of ;)
gl
Colonel t-o-m
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Redistributing wealth
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm

A Poll is up!

t-o-m wrote:personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that)

Sounds like you need a new monitor man ;)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 pm

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent


Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:04 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent


Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.

Yes, i was definately post any other color schemes that looks good after i fool around.

And i havent read that much of the other thread, but IMO that last post ^^^ was handled very well and professionally!
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:And i havent read that much of the other thread, but IMO that last post ^^^ was handled very well and professionally!

lol for once

i just dont like you attitude Z, ok ending now,

lol about the monitor - im using a different comp now and it still looks dark, bur less dark ;) - i like bright things lol , just my opinion
Colonel t-o-m
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Redistributing wealth
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.

Also may I suggest using the three official languages of Switzerland for the name of the map or maybe under Switzerland: Schweiz, Suisse and Svizzera.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.


Do you think it would work if the current colors were shifted around to create more contrast between each continent? Right now all the similarly colored continents are adjacent to each other. If you switch the color of the two +5 regions, for example, you'd get a lot of contrast that would differentiate them better. Along with new colorations, this could be considered in the poll.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.


Do you think it would work if the current colors were shifted around to create more contrast between each continent? Right now all the similarly colored continents are adjacent to each other. If you switch the color of the two +5 regions, for example, you'd get a lot of contrast that would differentiate them better. Along with new colorations, this could be considered in the poll.


Yes that could be a solution, but I think at least one of them needs to be changed or at least given a different tone.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.


Do you think it would work if the current colors were shifted around to create more contrast between each continent? Right now all the similarly colored continents are adjacent to each other. If you switch the color of the two +5 regions, for example, you'd get a lot of contrast that would differentiate them better. Along with new colorations, this could be considered in the poll.


Yes that could be a solution, but I think at least one of them needs to be changed or at least given a different tone.

Sure i can do that. I think that would be the best color scheme considering colorblind people
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Click image to enlarge.
image

Is this better at all?
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:06 pm

whao i like it man NICE, the font MIGHT be a lil non readable or w/e but nice
User avatar
Cook CatfishJohnson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: Michigan
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Nice job, especially with the BG and color-flipping!

Few things, of course:
Could you move the Svizzera/Schweiz/Suisse text to the left a few pixels? Also, is the S in Suisse lined up with the others? I can't quite tell, but it doesn't look like it is.
The army circle for Zug could cause problems with border-visibility when numbers are in there. Maybe it would work better to put the circle in the southeast of the territory and move the word Zug northwest a tad.
The army circle for Chur overlaps the border. You've got plenty of room there, so you could easily move it down a few pixels.
The army circle for St. Moritz does this too. You probaby have room to fit it to the left of where it is now.
Guess what...another army circle! This time, it's in Neuchatel. You could move the text south and the circle southwest to fit it in.
Jura's circle might fit in that little peninsula area north of where it is now if you move the text
Obwalden's text and circle overlap a bit; you can move the circle down a few pixels

*Phew* I think that's everything for now.

Edit: Shouldn't this be an advanced idea by now?
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Ill fix those above adjustments when i get a chance
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 am

[adv. idea]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login