[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:50 pm

t-o-m wrote:i think the legend need lightening up, but it looks good, well done =D>

refresh ;)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Switzerland v7--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 pm

RjBeals wrote:Looking good Kap.

I think I prefer the white borders over the black, but I'm not so sure about the main continent inner glow. It makes it look kind of weird to me. The slight drop shadow on the whole map looks good. I hope you're going to do something with the background though. It's gotta go. Noise / Motion Blur. No good for Switzerland. But I do like your style - it reminds me of mine!

Also - I'm not too thrilled with the map border and the main title, and you sig. They're okay but I think you could improve. The colors are great, the borders are nice (although my opinion is they almost too jagged in places - they could be smoothed out a bit). The territ names are fine for me. There are a few places that look too cramped and confusing. A smaller font may help.

Nice job though Kaplowitz. You've got good talent.

Wow, i completely missed that post!

1-I can change the BG, i will try some other things next update
2-Thanks about the style comment, actually when making the base for the map and the icy colors i kept thinking of a mix of Feudal War and Iceland. :)
3-I can fool with the title and stuff
4-I just used this map:
Click image to enlarge.

for borders, and i figured that jagged borders were just how Switzerland was! I can smooth them out if you think that it is hard to tell what is where.
5-I can make the font smaller

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 pm

I preferred the black text with white glow to this new one, personally. I also liked the black borders better, but these new white one's aren't terrible.

I'd keep the title just as is; I really love the font on it right now.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm

I liked the black better too, but it really had brightness issues, and this definitely helps that IMO.

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 pm

I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm

gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?

Reallyed toned down blues and purples may work. But I think nutral may work better than cold.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm

this is my first look at this map, and i gotta say that i like the look
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 am

if you were going for the "cold" theme, you could perhaps have snow-capped mountains, and a little bit of light blue with a very low ocpacity around the mountains and a little on the mountains?

just a thought
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I can put a poll.

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent

[/threadjack]

personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that), but i think that a switzerland theme would be great if yuo could pull it off, which i think youre capibal of ;)
gl
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm

A Poll is up!

t-o-m wrote:personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that)

Sounds like you need a new monitor man ;)

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 pm

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent

Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:04 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
t-o-m wrote:

Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.

Yes, i was definately post any other color schemes that looks good after i fool around.

And i havent read that much of the other thread, but IMO that last post ^^^ was handled very well and professionally!

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box