Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Postby Ethitts on Tue May 06, 2008 5:36 am

Which of these paths is better: (It still goes all messed up when I try create a poll :( . So no poll for this)
1st: Dirt path
2nd: Concrete path
3rd: Wooden path

Click image to enlarge.

Ver 10:
Click image to enlarge.

Ver 9:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5213 ... er8ob6.jpg

Ver 8:
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/7390 ... er7ak6.jpg

Ver 7:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2651 ... er6mc1.jpg

Ver 6:
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7285 ... er5gf4.jpg

Ver 5:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9538 ... er4pi7.jpg

Ver 4:
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3789 ... er3ar3.jpg

Ver 3:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7089 ... er2oi6.jpg

Ver 2:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4715 ... lesyw7.jpg

Ver 1:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6088 ... itsql3.jpg

Ver 10:
1. Changed the legend to make the territories needed for a bonus clearer (hopefully)
2. Fixed up the Age of realms and AOE naming problem.
3. Connected Feudal Fairway tee with Omaha beach 5.
4. Changed Feudal Fairway bonus from 3 to 5
5. Changed Omaha Beach bonus from 3 to 4.

Territories: 87
Continents: 10
Last edited by Ethitts on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 66 times in total.
Major Ethitts

Re: Golf map

Postby rocky mountain on Tue May 06, 2008 9:17 am

the bonuses seem quite large for a small map... how many territories will there be? it would help alot if you at least mark the territories, so we know what and where they are...
it looks like it could work though. good job so far.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue May 06, 2008 3:27 pm

It has potential, gut it is hard to know what it will be like without the territories and things like that. You should try to get those up, and then we can have a better idea of how the gameplay would work.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

rocky mountain wrote:the bonuses seem quite large for a small map... how many territories will there be? it would help alot if you at least mark the territories, so we know what and where they are...
it looks like it could work though. good job so far.

Mr. Squirrel wrote:It has potential, gut it is hard to know what it will be like without the territories and things like that. You should try to get those up, and then we can have a better idea of how the gameplay would work.

Cheers guys, I just wasn't too sure how I would do the territory borders, any ideas? I'll have a play around tonight and see what I come up with
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Ok, I've added some territories now. There are currently:

71 territories
9 continents

I'm not sure if I should make the paths territories or not. I do need to make a few more paths though, to open it up a bit. Also, I was thinking of adding a driving range and a secret miniput course.
Major Ethitts

Postby rocky mountain on Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Ethitts wrote:Ok, I've added some territories now. There are currently:

71 territories
9 continents

I'm not sure if I should make the paths territories or not. I do need to make a few more paths though, to open it up a bit. Also, I was thinking of adding a driving range and a secret miniput course.

do not rnake the paths territories.
why would anyone go for the beach, if each territory gives -1? its of no use at all... either make it useful, or take of the -1 and add a bonus.
hole 7 should not be +5. it has just as many territories as hole 2 which is only +2.
hole 3 should be the one with +5

Postby Ethitts on Tue May 06, 2008 6:24 pm

rocky mountain wrote:do not rnake the paths territories.
why would anyone go for the beach, if each territory gives -1? its of no use at all... either make it useful, or take of the -1 and add a bonus.
hole 7 should not be +5. it has just as many territories as hole 2 which is only +2.
hole 3 should be the one with +5

My reasoning behind the beach being -1 each territory was because I saw it as a quick path to other continents, rather than having to go through others. But I see your point, i'll make it a bonus or no bonus at all, not -1. As for the bonuses, they were just temporary, but my reasoning for hole 7 being so high was because of the amount of territories that could be attacked. Which is all 6. Where as hole 3 currently only has 3 points to defend. I wanted the bonuses to relate to how many territories needed defending.

Cheers for your feedback, I can't change the map till later on tonight, but hopefully by then there will be even more feedback to help me out on it.
Major Ethitts

Postby rocky mountain on Tue May 06, 2008 7:12 pm

if its gonna be a quick route to other holes, then maybe make there be less territories on the beach; make them bigger to cover more ground. then you can keep the minus 1. cuz its not very quick right now...

Postby rocky mountain on Tue May 06, 2008 7:15 pm

or maybe -1 for every 2 beach territs you hold...
also, i did not notice that hole 7 bordered beach territs also...

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue May 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Ethitts wrote:Ok, I've added some territories now. There are currently:

71 territories
9 continents

Don't make the paths territories, but the driving range and miniput course is a good idea. Also, why not add a yacht and a couple docks on the beach? This will fit in with the country club style scene and will add a use for the beach. You could also add a golf cart depot that could attack all holes on the map, or something like that. There are a lot of possibilities for this map. I live in Florida, USA (nicknamed "golf capital of the world" :roll: ) so if you need any help with ideas or information just ask.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby bryguy on Wed May 07, 2008 11:20 am

Ok this is one of those few maps that i dont care for, but that wont keep me from commenting ;)

1) I dont care for the water texture, maybe make them a solid color?
2) The trees are a nice effect
3) Maybe add some golf club symbols that can bombard?
4) Or maybe, make this an objection game like Das Schloss(B), add some golfer territories that can each attack a different start of a different hole, but cant get attacked. And the objective could be to hold all holes?
5) The sand bugs me, it looks like you used a paintbrush with different opacity at different points

hopefully more later
Corporal bryguy

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 pm

bryguy wrote:Ok this is one of those few maps that i dont care for, but that wont keep me from commenting ;)

4) Or maybe, make this an objection game like Das Schloss(B), add some golfer territories that can each attack a different start of a different hole, but cant get attacked. And the objective could be to hold all holes?
5) The sand bugs me, it looks like you used a paintbrush with different opacity at different points

hopefully more later

My opinions on your comments:
1) The look of the water will come in time. Right now he is more focused on what the territories should be and whether or not he should add or delete a few.
2) no comment
3) I dislike gimmicks altogether, so I am against adding gimmicks to this map
4) No, simply no. :roll:
5) I think the sand looks really realistic. It looks like a real aerial view of the beach.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Wed May 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
bryguy wrote:Ok this is one of those few maps that i dont care for, but that wont keep me from commenting ;)

hopefully more later

My opinions on your comments:
1) The look of the water will come in time. Right now he is more focused on what the territories should be and whether or not he should add or delete a few.
2) no comment
3) I dislike gimmicks altogether, so I am against adding gimmicks to this map
4) No, simply no. :roll:
5) I think the sand looks really realistic. It looks like a real aerial view of the beach.

I agree with Mr. Squirrel on this, I can understand how you don't like the water, but I didn't think there was much of a problem with the sand. As for the comments 3 and 4, I do like some gimmicks but too many can just be annoying, I do not like objective maps. It really is all personal preference though, so if the majority of conquer club players agree with bryguy, then I'll have to make some changes.

Cheers for the feedback, it all helps. I'll hopefully work on the map today and change a few things, maybe add some of those ideas you posted earlier Mr. Squirrel, I like the idea of the golf cart depot.
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Wed May 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok, I have made a few little changes to the map:

Added docks - they can attack each other
Added a secret mini putt course (not very good quality though) - bonus +1
Made hole 7's border with the beach more visible
Made the beach territories larger and smaller in number

Next I'll work on the golf cart depot
Major Ethitts

Postby rocky mountain on Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm

looking better...
how about another dock?

Postby Ethitts on Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 pm

rocky mountain wrote:looking better...
how about another dock?

Not sure if I should add another one, might defeat the purpose of the beach, which is too provide a faster route but at a cost.
Major Ethitts

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 07, 2008 11:11 pm

A few things...

Use the trees a little more sparingly. It looks like this course was cut into a jungle, rather than a finely crafted and well maintained golf course/country club.

Perhaps the addition of some buildings, either for aesthetics or game play, would introduce a "there is life here" in the map.

Additionally, to perhaps escape some the linearity of the map...consider the adition of "rough" or "brush" or "scrub" ...etc between some holes instead of trees.

Also, a large majority of golf courses/country clubs "name" their holes. I.E. Hole 1 = Rosebud, Hole 2 = Pegleg, Hole 3 = Sweet Misery, Hole 4 = Goliath, and so on.

Think up some unique names for the style of course this is.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby InkL0sed on Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 pm

This looks like some interesting gameplay, maybe it will work.

If you like the idea, maybe you can add some comedy to this map? Because honestly, the thought of armies fighting over a golf course is HILARIOUS
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Ethitts on Wed May 07, 2008 11:47 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:A few things...

Use the trees a little more sparingly. It looks like this course was cut into a jungle, rather than a finely crafted and well maintained golf course/country club.

Perhaps the addition of some buildings, either for aesthetics or game play, would introduce a "there is life here" in the map.

Additionally, to perhaps escape some the linearity of the map...consider the adition of "rough" or "brush" or "scrub" ...etc between some holes instead of trees.

Also, a large majority of golf courses/country clubs "name" their holes. I.E. Hole 1 = Rosebud, Hole 2 = Pegleg, Hole 3 = Sweet Misery, Hole 4 = Goliath, and so on.

Think up some unique names for the style of course this is.

--Andy

I have recently added a clubhouse and golf carts to the map. I had thought about putting in territories of rough grass, but wasn't too sure if I would make them different in some way. Losing an army on them was the only thing I could think of, or perhaps they turn to neutral the turn after being conquered? Then they could be used as attack paths that are taken away after.

I haven't really thought about names etc yet, just wanna get the map design going.

InkL0sed wrote:This looks like some interesting gameplay, maybe it will work.

If you like the idea, maybe you can add some comedy to this map? Because honestly, the thought of armies fighting over a golf course is HILARIOUS

I'm not too sure about comedy on the map, I don't consider it as "armies fighting over a golf course", more like conquering each hole ie. being the best at it, and then conquering the whole golf course (being master of the course).
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Thu May 08, 2008 10:54 am

I myself dont really care for this map, although im slightly for it, so im more of a maybe for this map being made

either way, keep up the good work, it doesnt look all that bad, right now tho i would focus on the gameplay

Maybe all golf carts can attack each other?
Or the holes can bombard their entire course?

btw ink, your comment made me visualise spartans fighting against tiger woods :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu May 08, 2008 11:14 am

bryguy wrote:Or the holes can bombard their entire course?

Hm, adding more "Golf-esque" elements could be an interesting way to direct your game play. Perhaps the "Tees" can bombard down the fairways and the holes (on short Par 3's, but perhaps not Par 4's or 5's).

Think of something unique to do with the Hazards also.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 08, 2008 3:35 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
bryguy wrote:Or the holes can bombard their entire course?

Hm, adding more "Golf-esque" elements could be an interesting way to direct your game play. Perhaps the "Tees" can bombard down the fairways and the holes (on short Par 3's, but perhaps not Par 4's or 5's).

Think of something unique to do with the Hazards also.

--Andy

I like that idea, but I think Ill need to add a few more territories for the fairways. I'll add some territories with rough grass too, which will provide some change in game play.

Cheers for the ideas guys.
Major Ethitts

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Idea:
- Original and well-thought-out. You can take this map somewhere, unlike a lot of ideas that are "wouldn't it just be cool if..." with no draft.
- You don't have to go Caddyshack comedy with your map, but a little bit more golf-related paraphernalia wouldn't hurt (a la what Andy said).

Graphics:
- Fairly good for 1st and 2nd versions. The clubhouse and depot look slightly out of place, but I think that's based on the Amazon Rainforest look Andy pointed out needs to change.
- The Docks don't look like docks, they look like powerline poles. I would suggest making them a little bit smaller and shortening up the outward "legs" of the docks to make people reminded of docks instead of their local electric co-op.
- Go with what Andy said for anything else.

Gameplay:
- The depot may end up being a little bit too powerful. Whatever you do, add no bonus to holding it. Its power of being able to break any hole's bonus is power enough.
- The clubhouse serves no purpose other than connecting to the all-powerful depot. Perhaps expand the buildings to include more territories and make the entire complex its own continent?
- Use Andy's suggestions to stir the pot of new ideas for you. This map can go tons of places, but make sure it doesn't go too many places, if you get my meaning.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 pm

The golf cart depot is pretty powerful, I agree. Why don't you make it so that the depot always starts out neutral with lots of armies on it (5-10). Leaving it open for a random drop is pretty dangerous. Or, make it able only to bombard the holes, not attack them.

Also, I support getting rid of a bunch of trees and adding clubhouses and things like that. All of the golf courses around my area are not just golf courses. They often have huge pools, restaurants and sometimes even gyms. You could really expand this map with a lot more territories.

Also, have you considered adding a yacht out on the ocean? It could be just a few territories wide, and have a small bonus. This will serve to add more territories and to add another use to try to cross the beach.

Finally, I have one more Idea. Why don't you add a bonus for holding only holes? For example, if you owned three holes, you get an extra 2 or 3 armies. But, if you hold all nine holes (signifying that you completed the course) you get +10 or so.

Just throwing ideas out there. Good luck.

Edit: I just had another idea on graphics. On many professional golf courses, the fairways often are mowed in criss-cross fashion. This makes them look fancy. You should do that to this map. Not only will it look good, but it will differentiate the fairways from the normal grass that is not part of the course (since there will be a lot of extra grass after you take out some of the trees).
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby rocky mountain on Thu May 08, 2008 9:27 pm

maybe the depot can be a killer neutral with 5 or 6 armies on it!
i agree with practically everything everyone has said...
good luck! :D

Next

Return to Recycling Box