[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Dirt Path
14%
Concrete Path
7%
Wooden Path
54%
Original Paths (in large map)
19%
None. Try something else (please post suggestion)
6%

Total votes : 69

Re: Golf map

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm liking it. As a graphics suggestion, I think in general you need to make more use of layer effects. Especially on the text... you need to make it legible, and say "golf" to the players.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I'm liking it. As a graphics suggestion, I think in general you need to make more use of layer effects. Especially on the text... you need to make it legible, and say "golf" to the players.

Cheers, I'm pretty new at map making so I'm not 100% sure what you mean though.....(In terms of layer effects that is).
Major Ethitts

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:52 pm

What program are you using?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Adobe Photoshop v6.0
Major Ethitts

Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:02 pm

looks quite fun, but i don't think i really get it though, i'm not a golf player myself and i don't really know how to gain a bonus on this map #-o

the concept looks pretty fun but i guess i won't be playing this one
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Sergeant 1st Class zimmah

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby LFAW on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am

I love this map!
Captain LFAW

Medals: 74
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:51 am

I love the concept, and it does look nearly complete! However for myself as a player, The colors are buggin' me. And so is the strategy.

There is too much green. Could you add a garden or something??? (I know there should be a lot of green)

Also, the strategy seems a bit lacking. Maybe you could add a cart path? This could be used exactly like the subways on the NYC map. Allowing you to strike someone farther away across the map. Plus it would help to break up these repetative greens.
If you want things a bit comical, you could add carts along a path. If the carts were territories, but the path wasn't, then you could use the carts to bomb territories along the path. It's easy to do. But!!!!! I do like the set-up that you have now!!! I just like to be all kinds of help.
I can see how you were trying to add strategy by adding the beaches and docks. And I really like that Idea, it's not anything that I would have thought up for sure!
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:03 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I love the concept, and it does look nearly complete! However for myself as a player, The colors are buggin' me. And so is the strategy.

There is too much green. Could you add a garden or something??? (I know there should be a lot of green)

Also, the strategy seems a bit lacking. Maybe you could add a cart path? This could be used exactly like the subways on the NYC map. Allowing you to strike someone farther away across the map. Plus it would help to break up these repetative greens.
If you want things a bit comical, you could add carts along a path. If the carts were territories, but the path wasn't, then you could use the carts to bomb territories along the path. It's easy to do. But!!!!! I do like the set-up that you have now!!! I just like to be all kinds of help.
I can see how you were trying to add strategy by adding the beaches and docks. And I really like that Idea, it's not anything that I would have thought up for sure!

I appreciate your ideas, but some of these points have been covered before. It had been discussed that too many gimmicks can be bad. I would prefer to keep it simple, much like a classic style map, just in a different setting with a couple of gimmicks. The idea of having a path with territories (I know you said only carts as territories, not the path. But it would still be a path but just a path of carts), was shot down early on. As for the too much green comment, I haven't been told that yet, so I do wonder if other people feel the same. But yea, bear in mind it is a golf course..........

To be honest this map kind of died anyway, I'll put up a post to see if the community want me to keep developing it though.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf (Poll - should I continue?)

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:13 am

Even if your not sure if you want to keep devolping the map i give you a few ideas:

instead of makeing the fields togheter why not add Caddies or golf cars as a attacking route between them?

Mission based map? Hold all holes to win?
Private Androidz

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:14 am

Ok, I'll try doing a poll later. For some reason it keeps adding older poll's to the new one, I kept trying to change it but eventually came out like this:

Should I keep working on this map?
No
No
No
Yes
No
No
No
No

I have no idea why
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:15 am

Androidz wrote:Even if your not sure if you want to keep devolping the map i give you a few ideas:

instead of makeing the fields togheter why not add Caddies or golf cars as a attacking route between them?

No, definitely not mission based. Thanks for the suggestion though.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:18 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Even if your not sure if you want to keep devolping the map i give you a few ideas:

No, definitely not mission based. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Np:) hmm makeing the holes bunsed +1 then? In golf the holes is pretty important:D
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:28 am

Androidz wrote:Np:) hmm makeing the holes bunsed +1 then? In golf the holes is pretty important:D

The idea is too "conquer" each hole and then to "conquer" the course. The tee is the attacking aspect/gimmick. It's hitting the ball down the fairway. Owning an entire hole (everything, the tee, fairway, bunkers and green) is like "mastering" the whole, thus you get a bonus.

The golf cart depot aspect of the map is explained on the legend.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:39 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Np:) hmm makeing the holes bunsed +1 then? In golf the holes is pretty important:D

The idea is too "conquer" each hole and then to "conquer" the course. The tee is the attacking aspect/gimmick. It's hitting the ball down the fairway. Owning an entire hole (everything, the tee, fairway, bunkers and green) is like "mastering" the whole, thus you get a bonus.

The golf cart depot aspect of the map is explained on the legend.

Okey, but i never asked about the golfcart depot:O why did you mention that?
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:40 am

Androidz wrote:Okey, but i never asked about the golfcart depot:O why did you mention that?

Yea sorry, I just felt like mentioning it.
Last edited by Ethitts on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 am

The map is a great concept. And very well presented. It would be a shame to let it die.

I could keep lobbing stuff at you all day if I though the map would stay alive.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:14 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Okey, but i never asked about the golfcart depot:O why did you mention that?

Yea sorry, I just felt like mentioning it.

hehe
Private Androidz

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - Poll: should I continue?

Postby Ethitts on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi everyone, I have created a poll for this thread, but as you can see, it's not working correctly. Please don't vote until this issue is resolved.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby edbeard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm

I think it's come a long way but there's a few things I don't like

Gameplay

1. Almost every hole is a one-way track. It'll get kinda boring. Add more things like 3,4 on the 8th hole (Cairns Coral Cart)

2. tees bombard the fairway but they obviously can't bombard the territory that touches the tee. But, if you make the map more interesting by taking away the linear nature, this'll add more places that can't be bombarded. The whole bombarded thing doesn't make much sense to me. Try to figure out something else that the tees can do. Maybe they can hit the fairway anywhere up to 300 yards or whatever a realistic yardage should be for a tee shot.

3. the legend isn't very clear on what the bonuses are. if it's for holding a whole hole, then you need to make what is part of one hold easy to distinguish. maybe a bonus for holding all the beach. maybe for holding all the greens or all the bunkers or something.

Graphics

1. The holes are boring for the most part. The bend on the fourth hole should be sharper so that it matters. Right now players can just shoot straight for the flag. Make them have to lay up straight so that curve is utilized.

2. similar to the first point, make bunkers and water hazards etc.. part of the course. put them in places players will be hitting their balls. Where the tee shot will hit. Right around the green.

3. Overall, you just have to make the whole course more interesting. Make it something a golfer will find challenging and interesting. I'm no golfer but I'm sure there's plenty on here. Find someone to help design your holes.

4. shouldn't there be a path from the 9th hole to the clubhouse? make the connections from greens to the next hole's tees more visible. A few are hardly noticeable.

5. maybe put some houses on the course. It'll be a nice change from the green which dominate the map.

6. try putting some thick brush on the map. it'll add some yellow/brown to the map.

good luck
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby laci_mae on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 am

I would be slightly less confused if the holes were numbered as they would be on the course. The territories could be "Hole 1 tee", "Hole 1 a", "Hole 1 b", and so on to "Hole 1 green". Bunkers and water hazards could have the number of their hole as well.

Some cart paths would be nice as well.

Just a thought.

Best,
L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 am

edbeard wrote:I think it's come a long way but there's a few things I don't like

Gameplay

1. Almost every hole is a one-way track. It'll get kinda boring. Add more things like 3,4 on the 8th hole (Cairns Coral Cart)

Will do.

edbeard wrote:2. tees bombard the fairway but they obviously can't bombard the territory that touches the tee. But, if you make the map more interesting by taking away the linear nature, this'll add more places that can't be bombarded. The whole bombarded thing doesn't make much sense to me. Try to figure out something else that the tees can do. Maybe they can hit the fairway anywhere up to 300 yards or whatever a realistic yardage should be for a tee shot.

I did ask a while back what the tee's should do, but I didn't get much of a response. I will change them from bombard to attack and work out some kind of distance.

edbeard wrote:3. the legend isn't very clear on what the bonuses are. if it's for holding a whole hole, then you need to make what is part of one hold easy to distinguish. maybe a bonus for holding all the beach. maybe for holding all the greens or all the bunkers or something.

The legend was last on my to-do-list. It will be changed once I have sorted everything else out.

edbeard wrote:Graphics

1. The holes are boring for the most part. The bend on the fourth hole should be sharper so that it matters. Right now players can just shoot straight for the flag. Make them have to lay up straight so that curve is utilized.

I'll look into spicing things up a bit.

edbeard wrote:2. similar to the first point, make bunkers and water hazards etc.. part of the course. put them in places players will be hitting their balls. Where the tee shot will hit. Right around the green.

For quite a while I've been meaning to move the bunkers, right now they're in places that don't really add to the game play at all. That will be one of the first changes.

edbeard wrote:3. Overall, you just have to make the whole course more interesting. Make it something a golfer will find challenging and interesting. I'm no golfer but I'm sure there's plenty on here. Find someone to help design your holes.

With the suggestions you have made it should become more interesting.

edbeard wrote:4. shouldn't there be a path from the 9th hole to the clubhouse? make the connections from greens to the next hole's tees more visible. A few are hardly noticeable.

Yes. There is meant to be one, just hadn't put it in yet. I will work on making them more visible also.

edbeard wrote:5. maybe put some houses on the course. It'll be a nice change from the green which dominate the map.

6. try putting some thick brush on the map. it'll add some yellow/brown to the map.

good luck

Don't think I'll do houses, but I'll put some shrubbery in and add some colour.

Thankyou for your suggestions!
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 am

laci_mae wrote:I would be slightly less confused if the holes were numbered as they would be on the course. The territories could be "Hole 1 tee", "Hole 1 a", "Hole 1 b", and so on to "Hole 1 green". Bunkers and water hazards could have the number of their hole as well.

Some cart paths would be nice as well.

Just a thought.

Best,
L

I originally had the holes just 'hole 1', 'hole 2', 'hole 3' etc. That was shot down early on as golf-courses have named holes, usually to a theme also. I have gone with Conquer Club maps as my theme, with a golfing term spin-off.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby edbeard on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:38 am

paths are a good idea.

make the course itself look like a real course and one that golfers would say, "hey I want to play on that course". once that happens, everything else will follow.

possibly add some more depth and height to some of the holes. I'm not a golfer, but I don't think a totally flat course would be as challenging or fun as one with uphill and downhill. It'd only show slightly from this view but it'd still show in some spots.

I thought of a way to do the special attack from the tees graphically. Have a marker on each hole that lists 300 yards or something. Anything territory up to and including this point can be attacked from the tee.

Maybe make your legend into a scorecard?
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:42 am

edbeard wrote:paths are a good idea.

make the course itself look like a real course and one that golfers would say, "hey I want to play on that course". once that happens, everything else will follow.

possibly add some more depth and height to some of the holes. I'm not a golfer, but I don't think a totally flat course would be as challenging or fun as one with uphill and downhill. It'd only show slightly from this view but it'd still show in some spots.

I thought of a way to do the special attack from the tees graphically. Have a marker on each hole that lists 300 yards or something. Anything territory up to and including this point can be attacked from the tee.

Maybe make your legend into a scorecard?

Great ideas! Especially loving the scorecard idea. The hilly fairway as you have suggested might be a challenge for me graphically, but I'll give it a try. I'll incorporate your idea for the tee as well and see what kind of response I get. Thanks for idea's, keep em coming.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 am

Wonderful!

Clan Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box