[Abandoned] - Los Angeles

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Los Angeles - update pg 4

Postby snapdoodle on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 am

oaktown wrote:I'm beginning to hate the way this map looks... is it just me?

I wasn't going to comment yet until I had a clearer idea about the freeways. I'm a little unsure as well.

But since you brought up graphics...

I'm not loving the mountains. I think it's because they are so brown. The color clashes with the light coloring of the rest of the map. Some foliage would greatly help out. Actually some more detail is various places would definitely improve the look. You've already done a great job with some of the landmarks. In fact, the landmarks, and the street grid, and the colors are pretty awesome. But the water, the mountains, and the font in the legend probably need something.

I'll comment on the freeways at a later date.
Captain snapdoodle

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 am

snapdoodle wrote:But since you brought up graphics...

I'm not loving the mountains. I think it's because they are so brown. The color clashes with the light coloring of the rest of the map. Some foliage would greatly help out. Actually some more detail is various places would definitely improve the look. You've already done a great job with some of the landmarks. In fact, the landmarks, and the street grid, and the colors are pretty awesome. But the water, the mountains, and the font in the legend probably need something.

Yep, the mountains are bugging me as well, and I'd also come to the conclusion that they are too dark... I'd like to believe that they can be saved just by lightening them up and maybe adding some green (as if the hill around LA are ever green), but they may just not be playful enough.

I think I've just looked at this one too long - I'll probably jump back and forth between projects for a while as inspiration grabs me.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Joodoo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:51 am

Just to make sure how the freeways work...
Could I directly attack Irvine from Downtown?
Lieutenant Joodoo

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby snapdoodle on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 am

oaktown wrote:but they may just not be playful enough.

I think you hit it on the head.
Captain snapdoodle

Standard Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Coleman wrote:This is all I have to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoD9zWY9Rg

Somewhere high in the desert near a curtain of a blue
St. Anne's skirts are billowing
But down here in the city of the lime lights
The fans of santa ana are withering
And you can’t deny that living is easy
If you never look behind the scenery
It's showtime for dry climes
And bedlam is dreaming of rain

When the hills of los angeles are burning
Palm trees are candles in the murder wind
So many lives are on the breeze
Even the stars are ill at ease
And los angeles is burning

This is not a test
Of the emergency broadcast system
Where malibu fires and radio towers
Conspire to dance again
And I cannot believe the media Mecca
They're only trying to peddle reality,
Catch it on prime time, story at nine
The whole world is going insane

When the hills of los angeles are burning

A placard reads
"the end of days"
Jacaranda boughs are bending in the haze

More a question than a curse
How could hell be any worse?

The flames are stunning
The cameras running
So take warning

When the hills of los angeles are burnin

This always makes me think of Las Angeles,

"the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows
the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood "
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 pm

A little dead flag blues huh - you know your music well my son.

Jacking my own post to link to this amazing spoken word piece by Godspeed You Black Emperor. CLICK TO FEEL IT

As far as the mountains.. eh, I like them, but I'm with the rest - maybe they're just too overpowering and not what most people want to see when they look at an LA map.
Last edited by RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:09 pm

It's funny that this has turned into musical spam, because every time I work on the map I start singing this one to myself...

You walk down Alameda shuffling your deck of trick cards over everyone
Like some precious only son
Face down, bow to the champion
You walk down Alameda looking at the cracks in the sidewalk, thinking about your friends
How you maintain all them in a constant set of suspense

For your own protection, over their affection
Nobody broke your heart
You broke your own 'cos you can't finish what you start

Walk down Alameda brushing off the nightmares you wish could plague me when I'm awake
So now you see your first mistake was thinking that you could relate
For one or two minutes she liked you
But the fix is in

You're all pretension, I never pay attention
Nobody broke your heart
You broke your own 'cos you can't finish what you start
Captain oaktown

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby snapdoodle on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:12 pm

man, you just depressed me...

lol only a little.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 am

Come guys lets get back to making maps, thats much more fun than music 8-)

We got any plans for this in the near future oaktown?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby max is gr8 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:54 am

I think you need a new game play idea, what about in the hollywood you could have an inset, and if you make a movie (camera, actor and director +1) and have cinema's dotted all over the place with sets etc. Go wild, gameplay is more important that the graphics, for now.
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby seamusk on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:45 pm

max is gr8 wrote:I think you need a new game play idea, what about in the hollywood you could have an inset, and if you make a movie (camera, actor and director +1) and have cinema's dotted all over the place with sets etc. Go wild, gameplay is more important that the graphics, for now.

Is there ANY game play to this yet? I'm not meaning to poke but I'm unclear as to what the gameplay idea actually is.
Lieutenant seamusk

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:30 am

There's no idea to hold things from all over and make something, I suppose the age of merchants is similar but in this one you could need a script an actor a camera and a cinema to get a bonus. You could have a hollywood inset at one place. But if you have LA you have to have movies. It's almost the law.
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby equalpants on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 am

Hey, this is pretty cool! About time we had an L.A. map. Just some various suggestions:

1. I think it'd be a little easier to read if the freeways had some kind of marking for each territory they pass through--just a little circle, or an offramp, or something. Right now it's pretty hard to judge distances along the freeway with a quick glance; you have to follow the line carefully and count.

2. Possible freeway gameplay idea: have a killer-neutral "traffic" territory for each freeway, connected to every territory the freeway passes through (and to adjacent freeways). So you can use the freeways for long-range attacks, but you have to wade through traffic (take out the neutrals) first. Or if that seems too powerful, you can make some or all of the territory-traffic connections one-way--i.e. "onramps" and "offramps".

3. Naming issues: the area marked Westwood might be better off as Brentwood; Westwood isn't usually considered to go past the 405. Culver City's a little too far west, too--maybe Mar Vista instead? And although Compton's definitely more famous, it's still kind of weird to have the Watts towers in Compton.

4. Maybe add John Wayne and Burbank and let the airports attack each other?

5. It would be really cool if you could get a hold of the typeface they use in the Thomas Guide, or something close to it.
Major equalpants

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:51 am

max is gr8 wrote:I think you need a new game play idea, what about in the hollywood you could have an inset, and if you make a movie (camera, actor and director +1) and have cinema's dotted all over the place with sets etc. Go wild, gameplay is more important that the graphics, for now.

I'm not a fan of this much at all.
Major Bones2484

Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby max is gr8 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm

We have enough Graphical Maps, but they aren't as good as the others, Which ones do I play, ireland - because its so small, Age of Merchants, new game play style. King of mountains, gameplay far greater than any others. Age of Might, Magic and The other one. Why new game play ideas. Circus maximus great idea, I prefer gameplay over simple repetitive games.
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm

max is gr8 wrote:We have enough Graphical Maps, but they aren't as good as the others, Which ones do I play, ireland - because its so small, Age of Merchants, new game play style. King of mountains, gameplay far greater than any others. Age of Might, Magic and The other one. Why new game play ideas. Circus maximus great idea, I prefer gameplay over simple repetitive games.

I agree, which is why Oaktown is trying to incorporate freeways into a new game play style.

The idea you had is just like AoR and Age of Merchants. It's the same exact thing, but based on an actual map of Los Angeles.
Major Bones2484

Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (23) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (9) General Contribution (1)

Postby oaktown on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:43 pm

seamusk wrote:Is there ANY game play to this yet? I'm not meaning to poke but I'm unclear as to what the gameplay idea actually is.

There is, it's just not very good in my opinion. It's a work in progress - this map may require much time and discussion to come up with a system we like.
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby rocky mountain on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:25 pm

i had some good criticism (i think) typed up but then my power went out and i lost it before posting it... i can't remember all what it was, but i'll try again here...
what are the stars for?
Anaheim is quite a big terit. maybe cut it off around the highway and make it two instead? it looks kinda weird...
are disney land, the compton spire thingys and the miracle mile sign going to be incorparated into the gameplay somehow?
how exactly will the freeways work? can Santa Monica attack Pomona?
i think downtown should have its own bonus because practically all the freeways go through it, so it could be attacked by many places, and attack many places itself. if you do that, then make it neutral.
O.C. should be way more than just +3!
practically all the bonuses should be higher if any freeway terit can attack any other freeway terit...
make holly wood part of the map. have each continent have a landmark, tourist attraction (you have 3 already) and have a bonus for having all of them.
here is my freeway idea: have only certain terits that can be attacked/bombarded along the freeway, shown by exits going off of the freeways. or maybe make it so that the terits with freeways on them can attack 3 teritorries away from it as long as its along the freeway as well.
i must leave now. good luck and happy map making! :D
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (2)

Postby mikeyfranz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm

I really like what you've got so far, and I love the concept. I wouldn't be afraid to break the neighborhoods down even further. Los Angeles is a huge city with a lot of neighborhoods, and this should be reflected in the map. I think the map to model this one after is the NYC map. I think the gameplay of that map is great, it does a great job of depicting the actual NYC geography, and it incorporates the subway system wonderfully. I think you should choose a few of the better known and larger freeway exits, and make those individual terretories in themselves, then each freeway can also function as a potential bonus if you occupy all of it's exits (just like NYC does with the freeway system).

Good luck, and I'll keep checking in on it. I really do like what I see so far.
Colonel mikeyfranz

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 am

oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby oaktown on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:57 am

gimil wrote:oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?

feel free to unsticky it... I've actually reworked the gameplay complete in my head, but as everybody has probably noticed I haven't been very present lately. After this weekend, though, I'll catch up with everything! :)
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 am

oaktown wrote:
gimil wrote:oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?

feel free to unsticky it... I've actually reworked the gameplay complete in my head, but as everybody has probably noticed I haven't been very present lately. After this weekend, though, I'll catch up with everything! :)

If thats what you want

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Here's the gameplay reboot on this map, as promised. When I started this it was all regions, then people wanted freeways and we had a weird classic/rail hybrid. Now I'm going all freeways.

The idea is that you string bits of a freeway together to make your own bonuses. Any string of three gives you +1. A string of four gives you +2, etc. The beauty in this is that a string of four is basically two strings of three overlapping, so I don't have to get fancy with the code. There will be a lot of code, but it will be simple.

Right now there are 78 territories, but it's a mess and I'm thinking that I should remove a freeway or two - the first to go will be the 105, which shoots east-west just below the funny spiral towers in the center. It knocks us down to 74 territories, which is still pretty big!

Downtown obviously is too close together - I'll work on it - and we'll need to be strategic about where there are two adjacent sections of a freeway without an interchange between them, as this will be the key to getting early bonuses.

And yes, the mountains still suck. The graphics reboot will come later.

So, does this look playable??
Captain oaktown

General Contribution (5)

Re: Los Angeles - gameplay reboot pg 6

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:53 pm

It looks like you ripped the cool part of the map (the continents) out in favor of overdoing a good twist to the gameplay. I don't like this iteration at all frankly, and would not enjoy playing it.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Re: Los Angeles - gameplay reboot pg 6

Postby fireedud on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 pm

TaCktiX wrote:It looks like you ripped the cool part of the map (the continents) out in favor of overdoing a good twist to the gameplay. I don't like this iteration at all frankly, and would not enjoy playing it.

I agree.

F.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box