[Abandoned] - Era of the Three Kingdoms

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 8

Postby serata on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:01 pm

This map looks great, can't wait for it =D>
Sergeant 1st Class serata

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:28 am

Ok here is an update, benn I havent impimented any of your gameplay suggestions yet. I need to read over it again.

All I did here was lighten the dark blue region.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:47 am

although it now looks out of place slightly at least you can read it.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 pm

All right ben I reduced northern SHU to three and I shortened the mountain region.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 10

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Is there any way to make the map a bit bigger so Liang North and Jiaozhi don't have part of their territory off the edge?
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:08 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Is there any way to make the map a bit bigger so Liang North and Jiaozhi don't have part of their territory off the edge?

I'd rather gimil not do that. I think maps should be as small as possible -- scrolling up and down gets annoying.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Is there any way to make the map a bit bigger so Liang North and Jiaozhi don't have part of their territory off the edge?

I'd rather gimil not do that. I think maps should be as small as possible -- scrolling up and down gets annoying.

You'd only need like ten pixels at most vertically. Horizontally you'd need more, but that won't affect scrolling.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:45 pm

Gimil - now that the mountains have opened up the green-red-blue border, I'd put Northern Shu back up to 4.

I'd still be inclined to up the Big Blue Northern Plains to +6.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:58 pm

MrBenn wrote:Gimil - now that the mountains have opened up the green-red-blue border, I'd put Northern Shu back up to 4.

Agreed on the bonuses.

Gimil I still think you need to name those regions somewhere on the map.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:42 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Gimil - now that the mountains have opened up the green-red-blue border, I'd put Northern Shu back up to 4.

Agreed on the bonuses.

Gimil I still think you need to name those regions somewhere on the map.

Thanks ben and ruben ill make the bonus changes, but please ruben dont make me add region names, I really dont want to :(

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:55 am

I think something is needed - what are you going to call the gegions in the XML? If they're not named on the map, imagine the confusion that will cause and the "xxxx has a bonus for holding xxxx, but I can't see it on the map" comments that will get posted after forge....
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:05 am

gimil wrote:Thanks ben and ruben ill make the bonus changes, but please ruben dont make me add region names, I really dont want to :(

Hehe Gimil. This comment actually made me feel bad! Don't play psychological warfare with me mate!

Sorry...I just believe it would help during the gameplay. I know I will get confused when communicating with my team mates. But it's your map and your decision at the end of the day.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:36 am

gimil wrote:Image

All right ben I reduced northern SHU to three and I shortened the mountain region.

ok u wanted the names...
dark green is riverlands/lands of shu
light green i dont know, southgern shu i guess
the red with 5 bonus is jing
the red with 3 is lands of wu
light one i diont know
liang and bei ping obvs
and central plains

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 am

gimil wrote:Image

Ok here is an update, benn I havent impimented any of your gameplay suggestions yet. I need to read over it again.

All I did here was lighten the dark blue region.

This version 18 looks much better for the dark blue test. I is happy. ;)

Are you going to do anything further with the mountains?
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 am

cairns friend you dont have a problem with the mountains do you?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 am

gimil wrote:cairns friend you dont have a problem with the mountains do you?

Gimil...can I suggest adding a single mountain at the front of the range between Zhuti and Lingling to make sure people don't think they touch? The Cangwu border is a bit think.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:

Gimil...can I suggest adding a single mountain at the front of the range between Zhuti and Lingling to make sure people don't think they touch? The Cangwu border is a bit think.

no problem buddy.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 pm

Not at all gimil. Just thought i might inspire you, hehehehe :twisted:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:25 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Not at all gimil. Just thought i might inspire you, hehehehe :twisted:

my inspiration levels are struggling these days :P

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby iancanton on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:24 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:ok u wanted the names...
dark green is riverlands/lands of shu
light green i dont know, southgern shu i guess
the red with 5 bonus is jing
the red with 3 is lands of wu
light one i diont know
liang and bei ping obvs
and central plains

one of the green subcontinents is yi. in fact, they might both be part of yi: beiyi (north yi) and nanyi (south yi).
the red subcontinent with 3 bonus is yang.
the southern red subcontinent is jiao.
names will be necessary, especially in the doubles game!

http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/decr ... _map15.gif

the red character is wrong, since it's the character for east, not wu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Wu

is the map supposed to be leaning more toward history or more toward the romance of the three kingdoms novel?

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:52 am

thanks, i knew i didnt uite know the names of the whole conts.

i thought novel since most people know that not history but there isnt a whole lot of difference

Postby gimil on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 am

I dotn have long to comment, but the red symbol is wrong because photoshop isnt picking up the correct symbol when I copy and paste it.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:18 am

bump

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:32 am

waiting on my big hippo friend dropping in with some points.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:42 pm

after a bit of confusion on my part, MrBenn will indeed be wielding the Gameplay stamp for this map... just as well, since he's been following the thread more closely than I anyway.

But since you seem to have been waiting on me, here's my two cents:
• Army numbers are certainly readable against your region colors, but they look terrible. Those blue numbers against the blue hurt. You might want army circles just to improve the look of the thing.
• Quote should be center-justified, and as I like punctuation I say give it a period at the end (before the quote mark).
• Maybe widen your rivers a bit - the territories across the rivers look to be touching in places, which I assume they are not supposed to do.
• Visually, the black outline around the playable area looks out of place because nothing else is black. Lighten it up maybe?
• I guess there's no choice but to make that top left blue region a four territory bottleneck? You start with Liang North, or take it early from Liang, and it's an easy progression to hold that bonus without ever having more than one place to defend.

Here's a thought about army count centering... if you've already done the XML and dropped the army counts where you want them to be, you could add the circles later and you don't have to fuss with the coordinates. Why didn't we ever think of that before??
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box