[Abandoned] - Era of the Three Kingdoms

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 23, 2008 3:42 pm

Bridges look like planks, as Zeak said. Mountains could be better, I would go after snow-capped ones instead of the earth-tone you've got right now. I would suggest darkening the Being Ping Port border even more, as it's still hard to see against that navy blue. Northern Wu's territory names blur out with the color a bit too much, as do Northern Shu's. Bonuses look pretty good right now.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby rocky mountain on Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm

the names are hard to see, especially on the green. could you make them darker?
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (2)

Postby edbeard on Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Bonuses look pretty good right now.

If you're not including the Wu territories then I'd agree...

East Wu and West Wu are worth the same at the moment when they are obviously very different in terms of ease to hold.

West Wu requires holding all 5 of the territories which can be attacked from 6 territories from three different continents.

East Wu requires holding 3 out of 6 territories and can be attacked from 4 territories from two continents.

I'm not sure I'd make East Wu worth the same as South Wu and you certainly can't make South Wu worth the same as South Shu.

Perhaps remove the Yu'Lin to Guiyang border and make South Wu worth 2. Then East Wu being 3 armies and West Wu being 5 armies isn't that bad.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 10:56 am

New bridges and mountains.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 2

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun May 25, 2008 11:04 am

I like the new bridges an mts, they look much better, but they are very transparent, and you can see the river beneath them.
Its also very hard to read specifically "Bei Ping West".
Does Fou-Ling border Wuling?
The bonuses are pretty high too. Wei has only 3 places to defend, but a bonus of 10. Shu has 4/3 places to defend and gives a bonus 8.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

I like the new mountains, but not the bridges. The attack line from Being Ping Port to Ben Hai isn't very clear. I think it should extent all the way to the territory border so there's no ambiguity.

I like the addition of the characters in the northern ocean to fill the dead space, but I still think the water should be a darker color.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 11:58 am

This any better boys?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby pepperonibread on Sun May 25, 2008 12:23 pm

A curvy path may be the best thing to do for that sea route.
Corporal pepperonibread

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby Unit_2 on Sun May 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Wei was the biggest at the time, why is Wu bigger?
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby seamusk on Sun May 25, 2008 12:40 pm

Agree that the sea line needs to be clearer. I wasn't sure if it was attack line when I saw it. I thought you were creating a sea territory.
Captain seamusk

Medals: 68
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (20) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Wei was the biggest at the time, why is Wu bigger?

Because its the best I can do with the geography.

Ans ill make the sea route curved :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 1:37 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong

Its not a one way attack though.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 1:38 pm

gimil wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong

A double-headed arrow, maybe? Or curve it. Or do both.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
gimil wrote:

A double-headed arrow, maybe? Or curve it. Or do both.

I was thinking both.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 2:17 pm

I would prefer a dotted curved line.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Cruved line :D

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 3

Postby t-o-m on Sun May 25, 2008 4:16 pm

is that the same font as the one you used for the fuedal title?
i think it needs changing slightly, although i think it suits this better than feudal.

the terit names are a tad hard to read, maybe add a tiny stroke on there at a lower ocpacity?
i think that more theme in this map would be great - so this is like chinese so maybe add some of those cool east-asian castles or something of a bhudist religion theme?
the terit boarder from Bei Ping West to bei ping port isnt very visible, that needs a lil work
is the grey on the outside changing slightly?

also ide like to make this an [adv. idea] ;)
lol
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 5:29 pm

The dotted line is fine, though I think slightly longer dashes might look better, maybe?

I think the middle part of Wei needs to have a larger bonus. It has 9 territories with 6 borders for a bonus of 5 right now. The west part of Wu gets the same bonus, but only have 5 territories and 5 borders. I'd bump the center part of Wei up to 6 or maybe even 7?

Or maybe split it into two continents? You could make Yong part of the west Wei bonus. I'd keep that as a +1, though, as it's totally linear and only needs to be defended by one territory. You could then make Bing, Ji, and Ben Hai part of north Wei and change that bonus to, say, a +3 (similar to east Wu, the other +3, which has one less territory and the same number of borders). This leaves Chang An, Jei Ting, Xu Change, He Fei, and Xia Pi as a 5 territory continent with 5 borders, identical to west Wu and deserving of its current +5.

Or something like that. Unless your current subcontinent divisions are based on some historical reality that I don't know about. Then your best bet is to just make center Wei a higher bonus.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 26, 2008 8:38 pm

The graphics of this map oddly remind me of Portugal...:) I think it's the general color choice for the continents and the nonplayable area.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am

i THINK nan is jing nan and but sum confirmation would be great, im pretty sure tung an is wuxing and im pretty sure jian ling is yu zhang meanwhile Lin - Ch'uan is Lin Hai.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue May 27, 2008 11:56 am

Api-Yai is Yong Chang, yueh sui is Yunnan and Jianti divided into two. Tsang-ke is Zhuti.

pa-tung is Han Zhong, wu-tu is yin ping and Fu lin is Baxi and Ba dong (left-right) divided straight down. Yong-an is Ba.

i can provide maps if needed.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby gimil on Tue May 27, 2008 12:10 pm

An image speaks a thousand words :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 pm

gimil wrote:An image speaks a thousand words :)

yeh i was going to say - did anyone get any of that!?
other than terit names, gimil, what have you planned?
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 pm

The territ names are a bit hard to read, especially green. I suggest either putting some sort of outer glow on the text, or darkening it some. The smooth borders look great. And you your rivers do as well. I would suggest to keep this from feeling so flat, put some sort of outer glow on the land areas to the sea. Doesn't have to be much. But maybe make the outer glow a deeper blue, or a dark color. Also your non-playable land areas (gray) look very dull. Are there any mountains or textures you could add? Maybe add some monochromatic noise, then use an artistic filter to give some sort of cool texture. Mountains are okay - they get the point across. A little cartoony, but will do.

But I like the map - classic gameplay and very easy to follow gameplay.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Next

Return to Recycling Box