[Abandoned] - Zodiac Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Zodiac Map(v6.4.5 on First post and page 16)

Postby rsacheli on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Yay! I love puppies! Now time for Graphics:
  1. The entire top part of the map - the legend, the title - needs to be changed. The fonts are simply not working for me or this map.
  2. The rifts - they look blurry and stretched, and I think they can be done away with completely. Just nudge the close areas apart a bit.
  3. The icons on the territories need to be more prevalent. I can barely tell those are daisies on the Spring territories.
  4. Also, since you got rid of the color paired bonuses, might as well line them up with the seasons or something.
  5. Experiment with different backgrounds. This one's okay, but I think you can do better ;)

-Sully

I love the font... I can play with it tho...
The rifts do suck... that I agree with...
Ill play with the icons a bit... (they are roses not daisies)
The colors i think should stay as is... it helps to distinguish between the constellations from the one next to it...
Ill play with the background...

iancanton wrote:don't forget to give to leo 1, libra 1, aquarius 2 and aries 2 the same dark look as the other decaying stars!

ian. :)

Good catch! forgot them...
Private rsacheli

Location: Im your neighbor... I have 100 armies with me... What are you going to do?
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 pm

I got some suggestions to hopefully make this map more attractive.

1) get rid of the impassable rifts... those places don't have links anyway, why do they need rifts
2) Change the background to something plain. This is competing witht he glow of the stars too much.
3) find a way to draw an outline of the animals the constellations represent around the stars
4) rename black hole Earth. The constellations revolve around the earth, not a black hole.
5) change the font... its a bit icky.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 am

Industrial Helix wrote:5) change the font... its a bit icky.

I agree! That font must go.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby rsacheli on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 pm

I am working on this... taking my time to get it looking right... please bear with me...
Private rsacheli

Location: Im your neighbor... I have 100 armies with me... What are you going to do?
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 pm

NP, as long as we know it is being worked on.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby rsacheli on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Ok, I give up... I cant figure anything out with the background... I can change the black hole image if its too much... ill dim the background a bit if thatll help but I like the starry background...
I contemplated the black hole being a Star or earth but a decay doesnt make sense... I dont want to change that... this was discussed the first time I started this map... and the constellations are stationary... the earth revolves around the sun... and the zodiac of your birth is the constellation that is behind the sun...

There is not enough room for the animals and I will not use someone elses drawings... plus it would cause this to become much too cluttered...

I love the Font but will look at alternates...

rifts are gone... they were put in originally because a few of the stars are kinda close but dont have a connection...
Private rsacheli

Postby RjBeals on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 pm

personally, I think some things just shouldn't be a risk map. I have no suggestions on what you could do to improve this. A cluster gray circles with a black background.

Well really, I would suggest using the new large map size to expand this out a bit, and show the animal outlines at least.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby rsacheli on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 pm

RjBeals wrote:personally, I think some things just shouldn't be a risk map. I have no suggestions on what you could do to improve this. A cluster gray circles with a black background.

Well really, I would suggest using the new large map size to expand this out a bit, and show the animal outlines at least.

and do what with the small size? unless its changed... there is big and small sure the big may be able to have the pics... but small would not...
Private rsacheli

Postby iancanton on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:14 am

by new map size, i think rj means supersize. u will need to go to the drafting room to seek foundry approval for a supersize map.

MrBenn wrote:Bigger and Better
For as long as I can remember, the Foundry community has been pushing for bigger maps. It gives me great satisfaction to announce that the bigger and better future is now upon us! The Foundry Foreman has now been vested with power from the highest authority (lackattack) to allow maps that exceed the current standard guidelines.... I hereby present you with Supersize Maps!
Maps of SuperSize must be worthy of needing the additional space (ie they shouldn't be unnecessarily big); mapmakers will be required to suggest their intended image sizes during the design brief stage, with permission to exceed the standard guidelines in exceptional cases to be granted by the Foundry Foreman. (In exceptionally-exceptional circumstances, there is the further potential for flexibility)

• Standard maximum sizes: 630x600 pixels for a small map and 840x800 pixels for a large map.
  • SuperSize limits: 1000x800 pixels for a small map, and 1400x1200 pixels for a large map

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=136363

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (8) General Contribution (13)

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 pm

rsacheli wrote:I love the Font but will look at alternates...

Seriously, dude, Papyrus is awful.

Go to http://www.dafont.com/ and find something unique that says "space" and "stars", rather than an overused, misplaced font that says "Egyptian scroll".
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Every time I click on this post, I expect to see something different than what is here. Nothing about it really captures the zodiac. It really just feels like another "Space" map - and we've already got two of those.

I agree that showing the traditional "figures" of the constellations makes a lot more sense than a bunch of colored dots.

Thematically, what does the black hole have to do with the zodiac? I agree that the Earth (or the Sun) would make a lot more sense here than a random black hole. You could easily keep the zombie neutrals (the Earth's inhabitants are rather... transient).

I keep wanting to like this map, but it just isn't there yet. I think you should try going back to the drawing board. It could be a good map, but it has an identity crisis.
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:03 pm

At the very least, you should have the symbols on the map somewhere

http://www.rbamusements.com/zodiac.gif

Another idea would be to explore the Zodiac Circle commonly used in Astrology

http://www.horoscoper.net/images/jpg/Zo ... s-1585.jpg

And lastly, rather than focusing on the "seasons" (which doesn't really make much sense in this context - having sun & snowflakes makes this map very Northern hemi-centric), why not use the astrological Elements of the zodiac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_o ... the_zodiac

Again, I think this could be a great map, but do some more research and try to re-think it a bit.

$.02
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Postby natty dread on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 am

lostatlimbo wrote:Seriously, dude, Papyrus is awful.

Not awful as much as overused.

It sort of fits the theme here, in the sense that every crackpot site about astrology, chakra energies and healing crystals used papyrus at one point... ;)

But I don't think that kind of association is really good for the map, so I recommend changing the font.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:At the very least, you should have the symbols on the map somewhere

http://www.rbamusements.com/zodiac.gif

Another idea would be to explore the Zodiac Circle commonly used in Astrology

http://www.horoscoper.net/images/jpg/Zo ... s-1585.jpg

I will incorporate those similar to the first link... but i dont have the time to create the actual creature type that everyone wants to see...

lostatlimbo wrote:And lastly, rather than focusing on the "seasons" (which doesn't really make much sense in this context - having sun & snowflakes makes this map very Northern hemi-centric), why not use the astrological Elements of the zodiac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elements_o ... the_zodiac

Had it and people didnt like it in game play...
Private rsacheli

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Private rsacheli

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am

The first one is marked "free for personal use" so you can't use it here...

Postby rsacheli on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:01 am

i changed the font and now need to adjust the glows on them to make them more readable... update coming very soon!
Private rsacheli

Re: Zodiac Map(v7 on First post and page 18)

Postby rsacheli on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Private rsacheli

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 am

Well, this map got a whole lot sexier. Maybe use a secondary font for the smaller text, it's a tad hard to read. And the Spring/Summer/Winter/Fall thing at the top-right is really squished, see if you can make it less. And maybe explore new background images, this one doesn't have really anything distinguishable. Also, change your signature font.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:42 am

If you are no longer doing the elements and the seasons, then maybe the colours need to be unified. I mean, if Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces are all winter blue in the legend, shouldn't they be the same on the map?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 pm

ender516 wrote:If you are no longer doing the elements and the seasons, then maybe the colours need to be unified. I mean, if Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces are all winter blue in the legend, shouldn't they be the same on the map?

Well, the issue there is they're all adjacent bonus areas, so it'd be hard to distinguish between them.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Then change the legend to use the proper colours. The seasons are denoted by the symbols on the troop circles. Of course, those will be hidden by the numbers, which is why I originally suggested (I think) that the symbols surround the circles, so that they would be more visible.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 am

ender516 wrote:Then change the legend to use the proper colours. The seasons are denoted by the symbols on the troop circles. Of course, those will be hidden by the numbers, which is why I originally suggested (I think) that the symbols surround the circles, so that they would be more visible.

Which is another reason we are allowing this to go supersize a tad bit to make it clearer.

rsacheli, are you working on a slightly larger version to help with the clarity issues? If so can we please see the larger sizes?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I havent started making a larger version... yet... I want to try to keep this size if I can...
I will change the glows to make it more readable...
Ill also play with expanding the season markings beyond the circles...

As for my signature font, whats wrong with that? It should be different from the main font so that its not confused with the rest of the map text?
Private rsacheli

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Private rsacheli

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box