[Abandoned] - Romania

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Romania Revisited - Updated - Texture and More Terrain

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:00 pm

i think transylvania is fine like that if you keep the mountains there, but then at this point i feel like 10 is too high of a bonus, because if you hold it, the next turn you get a huge bonus, take all of the yellow continent, and just block up those 2 holes...

maybe 6 or 7 at the most would be good for me...
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:57 pm

If you're going for an old parchmenty look then get rid of the drop shadow on the title. It looks really out of place given your theme.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby foregone on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:09 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:If you're going for an old parchmenty look then get rid of the drop shadow on the title. It looks really out of place given your theme.

Throwback that I've never brought into line. Will be fixed in the next ed. Thanks.
Lieutenant foregone

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:42 am

1) I dont really care for the stains, they dont look that good.
2) The shield looks cool! but something about it just doesnt look right... cant figure out what...
3) are you going for a parchment type look? if so, maybe make the colors of the continents dimmer, and if your using GIMP, look at this tutorial if you like: http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/old- ... paper.html
4) Your going for a parchmenty look it seems, and having a scroll of parchment right next to it doesnt seem to fit... maybe move the legend over to that area in the lower left corner? if u change the legend text then it might work :D
5) Speaking about the text, I dont care for the text at all. Its to hard to read.
6) Could you take away the army circles? in my opinion, this map would look better with no army circles :)
7) The borders on moldavia(..?? did i get that right? i cant read the legend name ofor it that well..) looks weird, cause it seems to have a yellowish glow around it

Keep up the good work!

also, maybe if you want to, look at this tutorial: http://www.jezelf.co.uk/tutorials_map02.htm

it may help for the parchment look, if not, thats okay :)
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby foregone on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:54 am

bryguy wrote:1) I dont really care for the stains, they dont look that good.

I like them, but I'll maybe lighten them considerably to give them an older feel, etc. I'll play with it and when I update you could tell me if you still don't like them.

bryguy wrote:2) The shield looks cool! but something about it just doesnt look right... cant figure out what...

Hmmm, I'll see if I can give it different looks.

bryguy wrote:3) are you going for a parchment type look? if so, maybe make the colors of the continents dimmer, and if your using GIMP, look at this tutorial if you like: http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/old- ... paper.html

bryguy wrote:also, maybe if you want to, look at this tutorial: http://www.jezelf.co.uk/tutorials_map02.htm

it may help for the parchment look, if not, thats okay :)

Thanks, took a look at it. I do have a backdrop for parchment on currently. I'm probably gonna fade everything out considerably which will make the texture come out alot stronger. With that I'll be fading out the continent colours and if necessary playing with the colour selection. Should be all right though if I fade them.

bryguy wrote:4) Your going for a parchmenty look it seems, and having a scroll of parchment right next to it doesnt seem to fit... maybe move the legend over to that area in the lower left corner? if u change the legend text then it might work :D

bryguy wrote:5) Speaking about the text, I dont care for the text at all. Its to hard to read.

Definitely, trying to find a way currently to make the legend work better. Also mucking about with fonts at the moment, trying to find something that fits, is more legible and still has the right feel (like handwriting but neat, etc).

bryguy wrote:6) Could you take away the army circles? in my opinion, this map would look better with no army circles :)

Will put up two versions, with and without army circles, for comparison.

bryguy wrote:7) The borders on moldavia(..?? did i get that right? i cant read the legend name ofor it that well..) looks weird, cause it seems to have a yellowish glow around it

Needs some cleaning up. Will be done.

Ta for all the comments. Should be able to put an update up tonight (my time) with changes. Feel free to rip into it again. ;)
Lieutenant foregone

Re: Romania Revisited - v4 -

Postby foregone on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:33 pm

Newly updated for a considerably more parchmenty faded feel.
Lieutenant foregone

Postby bryguy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm

looks much better!

and definately no circles

maybe lower the opacity of the mountain range layer a little? and also, could you bring up the opacity of the start? its hard to see
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby foregone on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:19 pm

bryguy wrote:looks much better!

and definately no circles

maybe lower the opacity of the mountain range layer a little? and also, could you bring up the opacity of the start? its hard to see

Done and done, see 4.1. Assuming "start" = star, they should be more visible now.
Lieutenant foregone

Re: Romania Revisited - v4.1 -

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:26 am

Looks better with the lower opacity colors.
But now I think the green continent might be too faded. could you make the green a bit more visible, but leave everything else the same?

And the borders on the map are very pixellated, especially in the pink continent. Could you try redrawing them so they would be a bit more smooth?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 am

wcaclimbing wrote:Looks better with the lower opacity colors.
But now I think the green continent might be too faded. could you make the green a bit more visible, but leave everything else the same?

I can. Will give it a shot. Because of the nature of the colour if I make it come out too strong it looks overly bright but will try some happy medium.

wcaclimbing wrote:And the borders on the map are very pixellated, especially in the pink continent. Could you try redrawing them so they would be a bit more smooth?

Will do, though thats probably one of those things that'll take a little time, heh. Unfortunately any lurking artistic talent I have does not extend to hand eye co-ords, heh.
Lieutenant foregone

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 am

wcaclimbing wrote:Looks better with the lower opacity colors.

And the borders on the map are very pixellated, especially in the pink continent. Could you try redrawing them so they would be a bit more smooth?

Now updated. The green is stronger. Tried making the borders better, fine difference so not hundreds on how much improvement there is. Take a look and let me know please.
Lieutenant foregone

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

looks much better, although i would like it if you could post the most current images in your later posts so i can see what exactly you're talking about.

furthermore, i think you could go ahead and move some of the country names around to fit more space for army circles. my biggest example would be satu mare or w/e in the upper left in the yellow region. its taking up a big part of the middle of that territ, so maybe tilt it up a little or shrink it and move it up and you'd have more space
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Looking better with the green.
I'm still not satisfied with the colors, but they are ok for now. will probably need a few more changes later, though.

Right now you have the metal emblem thing sitting on the map.
It looks kinda lonely there all by itself. Are there any other things you could put sitting on the map also, like down in the left corner, at least?

And you still need to edit your topic title.
It still says v4.1, when it should say v4.5.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Looking better with the green.
I'm still not satisfied with the colors, but they are ok for now. will probably need a few more changes later, though.

Will continue for now and maybe go back to it later if thats the general feeling. Not hard to strengthen the colours but want to make sure that I don't lose the faded feel.

wcaclimbing wrote:Right now you have the metal emblem thing sitting on the map.
It looks kinda lonely there all by itself. Are there any other things you could put sitting on the map also, like down in the left corner, at least?

Been thinking about that for a while but have been bus with all the other updates. Will work on that now having made the other improvements.

wcaclimbing wrote:And you still need to edit your topic title.
It still says v4.1, when it should say v4.5.

Oooops, fixed.
Lieutenant foregone

Re: Romania Revisited - v5 -

Postby foregone on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Updated. More comments please.
Lieutenant foregone

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box