Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Research & Conquer

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Research & Conquer (Working Title) (V1 P1 & 5)

Postby OliverFA on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:27 pm

A test of how to fit the map description in the space we have

Private OliverFA

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:57 am

I'd suggest making the legend slightly bigger.
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman

Postby OliverFA on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Emperor_Metalman wrote:I'd suggest making the legend slightly bigger.

Thanks for the advice. I used a size 7 letter. I suppose a size 8 would also work, and be more easy to read.

By the way, about the text itself. Is it understandable enough? Or does it take a bit too much effort to understand?
Private OliverFA

Re: New Concept: Research (V1 P1 & 5)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:59 pm

OliverFA wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I think this map will need to utilise as much available space as possible... and that will mean using more height ;-)

Hey MrBenn. Just a small question. I have already asked at the begining of the thread. But just in order to have everything clear, Āæwhich size am I allowed to use for my map? Can I use the bigger dimensions? And do I have to make small and big versions, or can I just make the big version?

Thanks in advance for your answers

I know that there was some discussion about having the same-sized large/small maps when ConquerMan was in development, but cannot remember the outcome...

As far as the sizes you can use, the folliwng is taken from the mapmaking handbook:
    1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH up to 630 px; HEIGHT 600 px
    2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH up to 840 px ; HEIGHT 800 px.
    3. SIZE DIFFERENTIAL: A large map must be noticably larger than their small map; 9% larger is required but 33.3% (1/3rd) is recommended.
    4. NOTE: Mapmakers are encouraged to make their large maps smaller than the maximum size limits when possible to eliminate scrolling to attack/read the sidebar info.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby OliverFA on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks for your answers, MrBenn, :-)

I just checked Conquer Man thread and looks like it had the 600x630 size. So I suppose that means that the small map has to be no bigger than that size.

So we'll try to fit everything in 630x600
Private OliverFA

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 am

*Cough* world 2.1 *cough*, you can go over, just you need to be careful when doing so.
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby OliverFA on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:54 am

max is gr8 wrote:*Cough* world 2.1 *cough*, you can go over, just you need to be careful when doing so.

Ops! You are right. World 2.1 is 700x610 pixels. It was in front of my nose all the time and I didn't see it! Thanks for your help Max!
Private OliverFA

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:19 am

max is gr8 wrote:*Cough* world 2.1 *cough*, you can go over, just you need to be careful when doing so.

That's not true. World 2.1 was made before the size limits were imposed and was grandfathered in.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby OliverFA on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:32 am

ZeakCytho wrote:

That's not true. World 2.1 was made before the size limits were imposed and was grandfathered in.

Then we are in the same position as before. I suppose that some offitial word would help us in this point.
Private OliverFA

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:16 pm

OliverFA wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I used a size 7 letter. I suppose a size 8 would also work, and be more easy to read.

By the way, about the text itself. Is it understandable enough? Or does it take a bit too much effort to understand?

I don't understand what you mean by +25 science points per turn.

Postby OliverFA on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Emperor_Metalman wrote:
OliverFA wrote:

It means that if you own the "Research Boost" territory (aka you have researched "Research Boost") then you get 25 armies directly deployed to that territoriy that turn.

Maybe it could be changed to: Research boost: +25 autodeploy per turn
Private OliverFA

Postby yeti_c on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:23 pm

600x630 is maximum size of small map at the moment - you won't be allowed to go over.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby OliverFA on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:16 pm

yeti_c wrote:600x630 is maximum size of small map at the moment - you won't be allowed to go over.

C.

That's clear enough. Thanks for the clarification :-)
Private OliverFA

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:19 pm

I think that World 2.1 should be re-made to comply (going to go on rant)
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:53 pm

OliverFA wrote:
Emperor_Metalman wrote:
OliverFA wrote:

It means that if you own the "Research Boost" territory (aka you have researched "Research Boost") then you get 25 armies directly deployed to that territoriy that turn.

Maybe it could be changed to: Research boost: +25 autodeploy per turn

That works better. Just make sure you specify which territory the autodeploy applies to

Postby OliverFA on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am

Hi all! Just a short post to let you know that I have not abandoned the project (and not planing to!) will share progress with you when it is ready for public disclosure. thanks :-)
Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:09 pm

Finally, an update!

I want to apologize for the long delay. The map was ready one week ago, but it has been my busy schedulle that has prevented me from uploading it before. Don't want to bore you with personal details that you don't need to know. So to make a long story short I will just say that during this week I have started working in Madrid and have been all the week busy relocating and doing all the kind of stuff that you do when you move to another city (I previously lived in Barcelona). The good part is that things are going really well :-) the bad part is that I have less free time for Conquer Club :-(

Ok, just focusing in the subject that we all care about: I thing that the graphic artist has done a really good job here. In this version, all the 88s fit in the territories. But the addition of the 88s does not harm the atractive look that the map has. On the contrary, it makes it feel more like a final map.

I would really appreciate if you could comment about this version to help us improve it and approach the final version. In particular, we need to know where to place the impassables.

Thanks to all in advance ;)
Private OliverFA

Re: Research & Conquer (Working Title) (V2 P1 & 8)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:37 pm

[Advanced Draft]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby OliverFA on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey MrBenn. Sorry for asking. But... could you please tell me what I have to do with your [advanced draft] comment? If I have to do something, of course.

I apologize for not knowing in andvance. But that's my first map. You know.
Private OliverFA

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I'd suggest removing the water around the edges of the map as it doesn't seem to have any useful function.
Also, the capital bonus should be increased.

5.3-Bombing: (Needs to be decided if this feature will be included or not)
Basic bombing would be able to attack an area on the map surrounding the capital. Advanced bombing would allow to bombard the full map."

Basic bombing should be a tech, but advanced bombing would ruin gameplay balance

6.3-Political Unrest: (Optional)
If the player loses the palace, political unrest would spread through all the empire, and would negate the effects of techs.

This is a good idea. However, there should be a tech that allows you to cause polticial unrest.

Postby bryguy on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:44 pm

OliverFA wrote:Hey MrBenn. Sorry for asking. But... could you please tell me what I have to do with your [advanced draft] comment? If I have to do something, of course.

the [advanced draft] basically means its getting closer to moving to the main foundry. Also, any stickied threads are [advanced draft], so [advanced draft] also basically seperates your thread (and other advanced draft threads) from the other drafts.
Corporal bryguy

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:20 am

bryguy wrote:
OliverFA wrote:Hey MrBenn. Sorry for asking. But... could you please tell me what I have to do with your [advanced draft] comment? If I have to do something, of course.

the [advanced draft] basically means its getting closer to moving to the main foundry. Also, any stickied threads are [advanced draft], so [advanced draft] also basically seperates your thread (and other advanced draft threads) from the other drafts.

Bryguy hit the nail on the head... it means you're not too far from getting into the main foundry ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby OliverFA on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

I see! Thanks to both of you for explaining that to me :-)
Private OliverFA

Postby OliverFA on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Emperor Metalman! Thanks for your comments :-)

Emperor_Metalman wrote:I'd suggest removing the water around the edges of the map as it doesn't seem to have any useful function.
Also, the capital bonus should be increased.

5.3-Bombing: (Needs to be decided if this feature will be included or not)
Basic bombing would be able to attack an area on the map surrounding the capital. Advanced bombing would allow to bombard the full map."

Basic bombing should be a tech, but advanced bombing would ruin gameplay balance

In my opinion it does not have to ruin gameplay balance. But you are right in pointing that advanced bombing would be VERY powerful. A possible way to balance it would be to make advanced bombing very costing, with a very high research cost. If it was expensive enough, it would not ruin gameplay, as the player who commited to pay such high research cost would deserve to bombard the full map.

Anyway, I think we don't need it, because we already have enough different technologies that we don't need to repeat any of them (but we can repeat if we wish. Is just that we don't need to).

Emperor_Metalman wrote:
6.3-Political Unrest: (Optional)
If the player loses the palace, political unrest would spread through all the empire, and would negate the effects of techs.

This is a good idea. However, there should be a tech that allows you to cause polticial unrest.
[/quote]

Well, as I see it, political unrest is result of not having a palace and not the result of having a tech. I am not sure if a tech is needed here. Plus I am afraid it would be extremely difficult to code :-(

Once again, thanks for your comments :-)
Private OliverFA

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow, just stumbled across this, but it sounds amazing! So creative too. I will read all the in between posts before I repeat questions already answered, but this looks so cool. :shock:
Private SuicidalSnowman

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box