Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Age of Quests

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Age of Quests - V7-page1&3

Postby yeti_c on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 am

DiM wrote:and i'll check the das schloss thread but i still want to make this map objective only. last i remember lack asked for maps that are objective only and except das schloss i don't think there had been other attempts.

Correct.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I thought he just said 'Objective maps' not 'Objective only'

anyway, I stand by all my concerns. there needs to be a way for players to separate themselves from each other otherwise it'll turn into a stalemate. I'm not trying to be annoying and harp on this subject but it's inevitable. how are people supposed to gain an advantage when they each are getting +9 (not including territory bonus) to start with? this makes the other bonuses they get and the territory bonus they get less effective in giving them an advantage. a +2 when neither of you are getting a bonus versus a +2 when you're both getting +9

to be honest though until the map gets played we don't have any idea what'll happen.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:39 pm

what if....

1. you get +1 for 2 altar terits near your starting location
2. you get +1 for each foreign altar of same alignment and +1 for 2 terits from foreing altars of diff alignment
3. default terit bonus
4. everything else stays the same.

this translates into incentive for expanding and taking other altars and at the same time the initial bonus is only 5. this means getting a few skills gives you an upper hand and let's you take over other people, thus avoiding stalemates
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby edbeard on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 pm

I think that's definitely a nice step forward. The only problem I foresee is that the guys at the top and bottom right aren't that close to other people whereas the barbarian is smack dab in the middle of everything. this could be bad for him. he's busy fighting with those guys. this could be good for him. it's easy for him to get more bonus quickly since foreign altars of a different alignment can be powerful. maybe this possibility of it being good or bad in itself is good because of the different strategies the barbarian has to choose from. though it might just be a purely dice dependent thing where someone has a few good rolls in the first couple rounds and you're dead in the water for the next 50 rounds until the game ends.

how will the altars work when you have 4 players though? you'll get +1 for every 2 at home but then you get extra because of your secondary starting position. also the advantage goes to people who start with two altars of the same type. if you remove the different bonus for alignments of foreign altars, then what's the point of alignments.

this map really needs a few play testings before any real conclusions can be made. I stand by what I said but for all we know, the way you set it up before could work quite well. I think my logic is sound though but you just don't know how games will play out.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:01 pm

i'll try to do some playtesting this weekend. hopefully i'll come up with some solutions :|
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:59 am

I think it may look better if it is, "Good" or "Evil" not "Yes No"
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Androidz on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Just a quick question as i love the idea.

Why do you use a scroll? I get its cool idea that your conquering a "map of a dungeon or something" but the legebilty goes down on it, as i would prefered a board in style of dungoens and dragons. or something.

You probbably didint get much out of this;P
Private Androidz

Postby bbqpenguin on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 pm

a few things...

1.the new font is much easier to read. thank you :)
2. have you considered removing the 'good' and 'evil' columns as seperate entities so that you just have 1 column? hmmm i didn't explain that very well. i mean think about it like this (ignore the underline thing that was just to make it look right
____________the way you have it_________ My Idea
____________Good_________Bad ____________Alignment
warrior_______y____________n ____________Good
wizard _______ y____________n ____________Good
priest _______ y____________n ____________Good
monkey_______ n____________y ____________Evil
warlock _______n____________y ____________Evil

basically the idea here is that you really don't need to tell people that the warrior is both 'good' and 'not evil'; just 1 descriptor is needed. this would free up legend space, which i think will be very important considering how complex this could get. also, you could add a third alignment, neutral, if you were so inclines

3. this is a really cool idea. i hadn't realized the full scope of it before because i hadn't read what you had in the op about the quests and stuff. this is a very novel and interesting idea for a objective based game. a couple points:
You want each 'character' to have individual quests, which i think sounds fun. make sure the quests don't interfere with each other (or if they do, that it's balanced out) for instance, you wouldn't want the wizard and warlock both fighting for the same territory while all the other players complete their quests unhindered.
What's the winning condition? is it 'complete all your quests'? or is there a single more important quest for each player, where others are secondary? an idea i think might be fun is to have a unifying 'main quest' for all characters such as 'kill the mighty dragon and take its treasure' where the dragon is a giant pile of neutrals and the players need to try to fulfill their lesser quests in order to build up bonuses to defeat the dragon. or something like that...

sorry if that doesn't make any sense. it's very late :|

edited to modify my alignment idea for clarity
Last edited by bbqpenguin on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 am

bbqpenguin - that's a good suggestion to have a single 'alignment' column rather than two for 'Good/Evil'.

I still haven't got my head completely around the gameplay...

Would it be worth adding some sort of secret passage/tunnel to bring two opposite corners closer together? This might help balance some of the proximity issues? Having said that, I think that it's going to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Can starting positions be used to help balance the distribution of good/evil starts? (I have a feeling they can't?)

I look forward to the analysis of your test games ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I've had enough of you... get out of there ;-)

Welcome back to the Foundry Proper... onwards and upwards ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby edbeard on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:49 pm

MrBenn wrote:I've had enough of you... get out of there ;-)

Welcome back to the Foundry Proper... onwards and upwards ;-)

Mr B

wait what? so you just don't post anything for a couple weeks and you get a stamp?

fyi, I'm all for this map and I'm all for it being here but seems like weird timing. Wouldn't hurt to wait on DiM posting some of his reflections after testing.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby CodingMonkey on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:05 am

it looks great, but the font is almost impossible to read, and I'm not dyslexic.
Corporal 1st Class CodingMonkey

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:00 pm

This map has been moved into retirement, as DiM appears to have gone AWOL, and there have not been any updates for some time.

Mr B
Lieutenant MrBenn

Previous

Return to Recycling Box