Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Roman Empire Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Roman Empire Map

Postby seamusmacdeath on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Here is a (more) final version of the Roman Empire Map. Changed the values of most of the continents, while changing lots of connections across the Mediterranean Sea. Added Crete to the Balkans, subtracted Pontus from Anatolia. Textured the non-crossable areas as well as the oceans, and re-colored the territories. I'm pretty much done with this, so please make any final suggestions (however, instead of just saying "Dude the bonuses for the continents suck" please tell me what YOU suggest doing about it). If you like this map, please tell Lackattack, and I will re-size and code it. Thanks again to Rob (SpiegelPrime) for his help.

-Mike
(Seamus MacDeath)

**realized that I forgot to color-code the Near East in the key at the top of the map...will fix eventually.

Cook seamusmacdeath

Postby Charbroil on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Looks good...the only problems I have are that I can't tell which continent Crete is a part of-Africa or Balkans, and Genoa (I'm assuming that's what ur going for) in Italy is misspelled. Otherwise, love it, can't wait to play on it.
Private Charbroil

Postby seamusmacdeath on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Charbroil wrote:Looks good...the only problems I have are that I can't tell which continent Crete is a part of-Africa or Balkans, and Genoa (I'm assuming that's what ur going for) in Italy is misspelled. Otherwise, love it, can't wait to play on it.

Crete is part of Greece, and I can make that easier to see. Actually ancient Genoa was called Genua back in the days of the Roman Empire, so in the name of antiquity, the name stays. Thanks again for the post.

-Mike
Cook seamusmacdeath

Postby craig84 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:23 pm

i think this is a great map idea but i have a few problems w/ this i personaly think the different coloring doesnt look good i think it should all be the same shade, and teh bordering black lines look sketchy i think id looks better if u smoothed that out, but over all it would be a great addition..
Lieutenant craig84

Postby hotgun on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:02 pm

I think it would be great... but make the near east thing right... and take away 1 man from afirca (the men you get if you hold it) so it should be 5 men not 6... Can't wait to play
Corporal 1st Class hotgun

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:58 am

Its a good map. Only three little comments (my opinion only):

1) Art, man, art!! How about textures instead of colors for countries backgrounds? And those sea routes... these lines are poor! Put some more beautiful lines, huh? (Yeah, maybe you will still do this part...)

2) Yeah, your map is much more balanced than classic, but Near East is still a South America. I mean, in a doubles game (for example), its a primary target and hold it in the beginning can be decisive. Its much easier to hold than other continents, so if a team get 4 initial countries, game over? Maybe another minor continent can add an option.

3) Bonus armies: without a gigantic continent, in a more balanced map, no reason for bonus of 6. Africa 5, Anatolia 4.
Major Marvaddin

Postby seamusmacdeath on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:22 am

First off, thanks to everyone who gave constructive criticism to the map and helped me to make it better and better. I haven't gotten a very favorable response for this map, which is unfortunate, because I spent alot of time on it. The general consensus that this map looks too much like the Europe map which will be going up soon, and that having two similar maps is not the best of ideas. Whereas the Europe map is pretty unbalanced with some extremely huge and impossible-to-hold continents, mine is a bit more balanced and could lead to some interesting games (not to take away from the Europe map since it definately looks great and will be fun to play). So unless I get some strong feedback FOR continuing this map through to the XML stage, I'm going to drop it in favor of a NYC map. So if you like this map, please let me (and Lack) know or else I'm going to can it.

-Mike
(SMacD)
Cook seamusmacdeath

Postby kennebeckbeck on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:55 pm

hey man, I think that it looks awesome, and very playable at that! Also, it's a great idea. - So I would keep going on it.

I would just make the Near East colors a bit more distinctive from the Anatolia colors, but that's pretty much it!
Private 1st Class kennebeckbeck

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Hey, I liked your map... Hmmm, one thing you can do: the map for Great Britain would have only 29 countries at first, and we suggested 42... The maker changed the number of countries, but after think about, I believe it would be a good idea a little map to games of 3-4 players. How about this smaller map be yours? 5 continents only, 32 countries, this way it would be a good option. What you say me? I can help you...
Major Marvaddin

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I thought this map had potential. Yes, it looks like it would be more balanced than the Europe map, but I agree that really there should only be one map like that. You mentioned that the map of Europe looks great, and I think there's something in the subtext of that statement that could actually justify two maps of the same general area.

It's about the design. One thing I wanted to do with the Europe map was to make it look like an ancient map, you know... The kind you always see with the goofy sea monsters? I guess my point is that your map is the Roman Empire, and if you made it visually distant enough from the Europe map, it would come across as a different map. The only problem is that you'd have to scrap pretty much everything you've done so far, save for the country alignment.

That's all I really have to say right now. Do with it what you will.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Evil_Monkey on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:58 pm

For me they look distinct enough to warrant considering both, the same place roughly geographically but look like they'd provide two different games. I'd personally be very happy to have a go on that map.
Corporal 1st Class Evil_Monkey

YA

Postby Cudly_Hugme on Tue May 30, 2006 12:44 am

looks ok but your bonuses are mixed up. back then italia would have been the best as it was the center of the world
Private Cudly_Hugme

Postby Evil Pope on Tue May 30, 2006 2:27 pm

I think that this map was given up on a long time ago..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby haha on Tue May 30, 2006 3:08 pm

the water should be blue
Colonel haha

Postby thegrimsleeper on Tue May 30, 2006 3:22 pm

Evil Pope wrote:I think that this map was given up on a long time ago..
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby kronas on Wed May 31, 2006 2:44 pm

Dude, back in the day, Britain was spelt like this: Britaina Also, I love the map, it is really cool!
Cook kronas

Great map

Postby kefli on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:02 pm

Excellent idea. When will it be playable?
Corporal kefli

Postby rocksolid on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 pm

thegrimsleeper wrote:
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Rakonas on Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:41 pm

rocksolid wrote:
thegrimsleeper wrote:
Cadet Rakonas

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Rakonas wrote:
rocksolid wrote:
thegrimsleeper wrote:
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Return to Recycling Box