I don't see that you've figured out the battleships situation... ??
I agree that creating a map that is contingent on Lack adding an XML feature is not the best use of your time. There are already two maps that have been languishing for months with no end in site, which in my opinion should be put on vacation and stuck in the bin. I don't think that's what you want to see happen here. Some thoughts on alternative solutions...
- Allow the battleships to at least be bombardable by each other. No, it isn't true to the spirit of what happened in the battle, but neither are many other aspects of this map - the battleships are already going to be controlled by players opposing each other (unlike the historical campaign) so why not? Of course, allowing the battleships to hit knock each other out doesn't entirely solve the problem, since you'll have at least one battleship left in the end.
- Was there any artillery that was able to hit the battleships? I'm guessing there wasn't.
- The idea of creating victory conditions is a solid one. The victory condition could simply be to hold all land territories... since the ships are going to be killer reducers (see below) by the time somebody controls all of the land the ships will be at 1 and pretty much helpless in trying to break somebody's control of the land. If this is going to happen I think you may want to consider 1) how the landing craft are attacked by land (which still seems odd to me) and perhaps 2) reducing the number of land territories that can be hit by the battleships, since you don't want the end of the game to be drawn out forever because the leader keeps getting one territory after another picked off from a ship.
Battleship starts: was the plan to start them with high values? I hope so, because otherwise he -2 starts them out at 1, making them useless throughout.
Dardanelles bombardments still seem a bit vague... are L4 and L5 in the Dardanelles?
I still don't like the fast movement along roads on land... seems appropriate that the Turks can move along the roads, but not the allies who were lucky if they could advance out of their trench on any given day. What about making the road movement one-way?
1. Battleships : yes they start with high values 18 as per indicated in the map!
2. L4 and L5 are landing craft and are heading for the beaches, not into the Dardanelles therefore i don't think they be able to bombarded by the forts, but rather might come under beach fire.
3. I think the roads would have been important for the Turkish troops to move their several divisions around behind those ridges. The invasion force might have been able to to use them also if they had been successful. Also, i don't think making them one-way would be helpful to whomever holds those territories. Therefore i'd like to keep them.
4. I have added some one-way bombardment arrows, and put the impassables on.
5. Since we won't have the facility in xml to eradicate the battleships from play, i agree that the objective being all the land components would be a good alternative and works well with what actually occurred.