Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Skyscrapers

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Skyscrapers (V3, pg 3, 2/22/09)

Postby mibi on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Sully, where are the tower images from? If they are from or on skyscraperpage.com then they are most definitely copyrighted and they take their shit pretty seriously, requiring you to purchase a license.
Captain mibi

Postby sully800 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:26 pm

mibi wrote:Sully, where are the tower images from? If they are from or on skyscraperpage.com then they are most definitely copyrighted and they take their shit pretty seriously, requiring you to purchase a license.

The images did not come from skyscraperpage.com, but I have a feeling my sources might have taken them from there originally. I am currently contacting skyscraperpage to find out about a license because I obviously don't want any copyright problems. Also I may be able to get much higher quality images if a license is a reasonable price. Thanks for the heads up Mibi!
Major sully800

Postby jesterhawk on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Looks interesting.

JH
P.R.Aquilone
pra.aquilone.me
Private 1st Class jesterhawk

Postby sailorseal on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:02 pm

sailorseal wrote:This looks like a great map! Be back later with comments

Now I am back. I am only slightly skeptical about game play do to the fact that a person starting out with half the smallest building would easily win do to the fact that the other bonuses are difficult to come by. That is why I recommend scaling down the towers to a smaller size or at least including more small towers to even out game play. Also include more features such as the beacons to avoid boring game play with the simple every territory can assault it's two neighbors.
Work on game play and maybe then we will talk graphics ;)
Glad to see a hunter making a map! :D
Cook sailorseal

Postby mibi on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm

sully800 wrote:
mibi wrote:Sully, where are the tower images from? If they are from or on skyscraperpage.com then they are most definitely copyrighted and they take their shit pretty seriously, requiring you to purchase a license.

The images did not come from skyscraperpage.com, but I have a feeling my sources might have taken them from there originally. I am currently contacting skyscraperpage to find out about a license because I obviously don't want any copyright problems. Also I may be able to get much higher quality images if a license is a reasonable price. Thanks for the heads up Mibi!

good luck, i suspect they will be expensive as their site is very monetized already.
Captain mibi

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:01 am

Unfournunently, I suspect that if this is to conuinue it will need to be done using different images or by hand. It shouldn't be too hard to trace it and it will look more original and flowing instead of looking like a bunch of armies on a picture with some akward space inbetween. I really like the idea cause it will deffinently have some unique gameplay. Although bonus regions if they were just towers would be easy to hold. what if bonus regions were like levels on towers so if you held say 3 teritories on the 5 level of 3 different towers you get +2. That way bonuses would be hard to get.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby sully800 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:04 am

I got a reply last week from skyscraperpage, and they said the licensing fee would be $40 per tower. I did not take any of my images from that site directly, but I think that several of them were taken from pages that licensed the images already so its the same problem.

I told them that I would be using very small versions of the images and they would not be placed on any commercial items, but that doesn't seem to matter. It's a $40 fee per image no matter what the use (which is strange to me but I understand that they need to have standards).

Not all of my current towers are copyrighted. The CN tower for example was a photograph that someone took which I edited slightly to get the proper perspective (or close to it). I could potentially due this for all of the towers and building but it would be extremely time intensive to end up with an inferior product. I could also trace the current images and create my own layers, but I'm not sure if that would still violate the copyright. It would definitely be the easiest way to get the right dimensions, and I already did it for one tower, but I'm not sure its worth it.

When it comes down to it I was hoping to create the gameplay around some existing awesome images. Now I have a map with no images and no proper gameplay. So I am going to suspend development of this map, at least temporarily. Maybe if I have free time over the summer and my photoshop skills are much better I will draw each tower myself.

In the meantime I will continue working on another map idea I have. One that is much better defined and I think it will be great for the CC Community! Stay tuned....
Major sully800

Re: Skyscrapers (Suspended Development)

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Sorry to see this one go - I think there was some good potential here, although some pretty major obstacles gameplay-wise.

If you do revive it, just let one of the CAs know, and we'll get you back into the drafting room ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Previous

Return to Recycling Box