Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Danelaw

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Danelaw(Ver. 8)[D](9/1/09)

Postby el-presidente on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Those are all good graphically, but not really what we are trying to accomplish here. If you were to find an actual old atlases you would find that old maps are really not written on parchment that looks like that, but it looks instead more like the version I currently have. The background was actually taken from a map that was from an old atlas. I am not denying that it is cool, but it is much more fitting for Kabenallas's lord of the rings tribute rather than an accurate (hopefully) map of an invasion of Britain.
Private el-presidente

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Yeah, I guess the big difference would be that the old map would have been rolled up by itself, allowing for more aging of the surface. Where as the old atlases were in book form, and therefor, only the outside edges would see any aging. The colors are much more vivid than the yellowed map. Which is why I was initially struck by the version in your sig. It has the rich color that it pretty much would have had, when it was made hundreds of years ago. If the old "Atlas" map is what you are shooting for here, I would suggest that you take another look at nixing the current faded version, and going back to the example in your sig. I have not seen that version in full size. Maybe you could post a side by side of them both, so that we can compare them easily. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby el-presidente on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Here is an old one
Click image to enlarge.
Private el-presidente

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Got to admit, I like the color. I like the idea of making an old map, that has the appearance of a very well preserved image. The only wear that this map would have is on its outside edges.
Also, the lat. and long. lines are unique to this map over the other CC maps. I like the idea very much. I would NOT worry about it not being from the period of the subject. The map could very well have been made 200 years ago, about an earlier period. This IS a common occurrence in cartography. Just as this project is actually being made in 2009 AD. of a subject hundreds of years in the past.
Also, I was farting around with some transfer modes, and found that there is a blueish "ghost" text going on beneath this map. Now I know that in times of long ago, they reused paper, and canvas, all the time. Is this a product of you using a texture from an old map or something ? or did you actually add it for some kind of effect. I will show an example of the ghost text by pumping up the settings to make the ghost more visible.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:14 pm

:?
What has happened here ?
No updates for over a week.
I would be sad to see this map drop off of the radar. I believe that it has great potential.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Was it something I said ? :?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Was it something I said ? :?

Naw, it was really quiet before you posted too. el-presidente has sort of left CC and from talking to him in RL he sort of has given up on the map. Naxus should probably, either let this go to the bin, or get a new graphics guy (el-presidente agrees with me on that, I asked him first.)
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby naxus on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:38 pm

captainwalrus wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Was it something I said ? :?

Naw, it was really quiet before you posted too. el-presidente has sort of left CC and from talking to him in RL he sort of has given up on the map. Naxus should probably, either let this go to the bin, or get a new graphics guy (el-presidente agrees with me on that, I asked him first.)

Its nice he let me know :roll:

Anyone interested in being the graphics guy?
Haggis_McMutton wrote:2. Anyone else find it kind of funny that naxus is NK'd right after insisting that we're all paranoid?
Corporal 1st Class naxus

Postby el-presidente on Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah, sorry. I sort of don't have the interest anymore. I have been checking my PMs for anything but I never got anything from you saying like, where are you or anything, so I sort of thought you had given up too. If anyone wants the .xcf (GIMP file) PM captainwalrus, and he can get it from me.

~Sayanora

Make a difference out there.
Private el-presidente

Postby MrBenn on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Hello everyone who followed this map.
I will be taking over the graphics for this and so eventually it will be back. From about 3 or 4 updates ago the graphics was more of a team effor by el-presidente and myself, and so I will just start off where we left off. It might take me a bit to get something worth posting, but I will try to address some concerns in order to get this back on track.
Thank you!

note: it might take a while till the update comes, I have a lot on my plate. I might have extra times, as mid-term exams are coming up, so I won't have much work, but I don't think I will get to this all that soon, I just really wanted to post my 900th post.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby 00iCon on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:12 pm

great! lets get this rolling. i'd like to play it soon
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Previous

Return to Recycling Box