Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Goblin Tribes

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Goblin Tribes v2.9

Postby Danyael on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:45 pm

version 2.9 is up
ManBungalow wrote:Post by ManBungalow Ā» Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:03 pm
"+1 hold 3 bloods"

you think that bonus amount is suitable?
Tisha wrote: yellow, and the borders are just hovering over the top of the land

i changed the bloods(yellow) border does it still look floaty?
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm

i think he was referring to the "Bloods" as the (in)famous gang everyone knows. this looks good for a start!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Danyael on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:i think he was referring to the "Bloods" as the (in)famous gang everyone knows. this looks good for a start!

:roll: maybe i should ask them for copyright permisson :lol:

here is version three
large
Click image to enlarge.

and small
Click image to enlarge.

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 graphic critique needed plz

Postby Danyael on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm

things that make you go umm

was tinkering with the textures a litte and came out with this does it make it worst or better

Click image to enlarge.

as well i have a different title look does this look better
any suggestions would be nice

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 march 30 update added textures pg 1 & 2

Postby Joodoo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:22 am

I think the background is too dark
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 march 30 update added textures pg 1 & 2

Postby Danyael on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Joodoo wrote:I think the background is too dark

I've added some lights to the background to brighten it up

Click image to enlarge.

this caused a few pixels to look bad but i am fixing those up

Re: Goblin Tribes v3 apr3 update

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I would add more, larger images of goblins. That would make it more fun. The more devious the better.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Nice map so far.
I like it.

Could you make the textures and borders on each continent more similar?
The borders on Muds look painted on and artistic. But the borders on Skulls seem really sharp and contrasting.
I think you should pick one style of borders and use that across the entire map so things work a bit better together.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Danyael on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:59 pm

FarangDemon wrote:I would add more, larger images of goblins. That would make it more fun. The more devious the better.

i will make the goblins bigger for adding more not sure about that but i'll try a few things out

wcaclimbing wrote:Nice map so far.
I like it.

Could you make the textures and borders on each continent more similar?
The borders on Muds look painted on and artistic. But the borders on Skulls seem really sharp and contrasting.
I think you should pick one style of borders and use that across the entire map so things work a bit better together.

thanks for the compliments
yes i agree about the borders i'm currently working on making them all the more artistic look

Re: Goblin Tribes v3.5 apr13 update

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Update April 13th V3.5
Changes
Worked on mountains
Smoothed and deleted weird pixels
Redid borders so they all look most part similar (totally erased old and redid with 2px brush and gauss blured)

Rescaled goblin chiefs
Click image to enlarge.

Things to discuss
Add More Goblins
should more in the way of goblins be added to map for game play suggested by farangdemon he wanted to see more goblins to make the map more fun i think this is a good idea but i don't want to added more chiefs so my thoughts are:
-add hobgoblin to four spots on map 1 per tribe i.e. 1 to Sqat, Myz, Fungi, and BiZ (maybe start as neutral +1 autodeploy)
-add goblin shaman to the aforementioned territs which allow you to attack other shaman

i dont want to busy up the map much more due to the fact it takes away from the art style of the textures
other ideas very welcomed I'm having quite the idea block on this

Borders
I have gone back and forth on the best way to make them look i think i have settled on this look still stylized but still pretty defined. with little variations depending on land textures.
my question is, is it well defined enough between different tribes or should i have a different look bordering different tribes and gates
- maybe use a 4px brush add inner glow

i.e. Image
does this look better for those borders?
any thoughts

edit:: added arrows on border example
Last edited by Danyael on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sailorseal on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:19 pm

I really like it but I am not quite sure what the theme is. Also it took me a moment to understand the bombard path, can you make it clear which direction it goes.
Nice Map!
Cook sailorseal

Postby tlane on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm

sailorseal wrote:I really like it but I am not quite sure what the theme is.

Maybe i am not understanding you, but i think there is a very clear theme(if you really cant tell it is GOBLINS).
I dont know how you cant see this :?: hopefully you will once you read this post [-o<

Although this theme is clear you may want to play around with it and see what other ideas you can get, in terms of texture for the land and background(i like the goblin theme, so i wouldn't change it o much).

I am confused on a few things and I think they can easily be fixed.
1.Could you change "chiefs" to goblins,or even goblin chiefs, it would make it much clearer
2. You have the bombarding set up more like attack routes, what about instead of those route things, you just say that all "chief"(or goblins) can bombard each other.

Also could you think of some more clever names instead of bloods and muds, fangs and skulls are okay, but i think you could make better.

tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Postby Danyael on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:45 pm

tlane wrote:

Maybe i am not understanding you, but i think there is a very clear theme(if you really cant tell it is GOBLINS).
I dont know how you cant see this :?: hopefully you will once you read this post [-o<

thank you my brain exploded when i read that

tlane wrote:I am confused on a few things and I think they can easily be fixed.
1.Could you change "chiefs" to goblins,or even goblin chiefs, it would make it much clearer
2. You have the bombarding set up more like attack routes, what about instead of those route things, you just say that all "chief"(or goblins) can bombard each other.

1. You are completly right about "chiefs" should be changed to Goblin Chief even thou its a little redundant it should be clear on the legend and state Goblin Chiefs
2. this is something I've been debating myself due to the fact that one chief cannot bombard all the other "goblin Chiefs" only the nearest as stated at the bottom of the map thought i needed to note the bombardment route to idiot proof it..... (but i have learned that is impossible for some) but maybe if i move the part at bottom of the map closer to the legend it will help
but i would prefer to have it just written in the legend and not clutter the map

tlane wrote:Also could you think of some more clever names instead of bloods and muds, fangs and skulls are okay, but i think you could make better.

sorry but i am quite fond of these names yes simple but goblins aren't the brightest creatures as well from all of the books and D&ding i have done goblin tribe names have always been simple and some what dull

but if you have better ideas for names of the tribes or territs even i'd love to hear and even us them

thank you for your suggs

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Though I understand your Theme is Goblins---the graphics on the map don't seem to contribute to this theme. For some reason, I get a sense of blobs and slime and goo. IT could be the shapes, the colors, textures---or most likely, a combo of them all.

The map feels a little small, territory wise---but for the most part, the general direction of the map is alright---just perhaps look into redesigning the map a litle, working on the theme.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Danyael on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

i am currently working on some changes
adding more territs adding hobgoblin huts
but i was wondering if maybe i should incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" a welsh goblin tribe leader
as well I'll probably be changing the tribe names to the main sub types. Knockers(welsh and cornish folklore) trows(scottish folklore) spriggans (english) and the phooka(irish) or maybe kobolt(german) but i think that it would be best for the first four mentioned if i do incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" anythoughts

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 am

whoa, are those goblins, or Pok'e'mon characters? :lol:

It's nice to see somebody making a "fun" map - silly creatures, weird names like blrup, and the like. My concern right now is that this map has a split personality thing going on - the text and monsters are sharp and silly, but many other map elements are dark, blurry and brooding. i think you have to figure out which map you want to make.

Gameplay looks alright for a start... having not read through the thread I'm guessing that holding 7 "Muds" means seven territories that begin with "m" - if this is the case then Hooray! for make-your-own bonuses, but you'll have to explain it better. And be careful that the territory names aren't too similar - somebody will totally place their troops on Blrup when they meant to place them on Blruk.
Captain oaktown

Postby Danyael on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:15 am

damn kids and there pokey - mans and hip hop music
:lol:

yes i agree that the art styles are slightly bi polar the goblins are just a stand in while i work on the better versions of those
and yes that is the way the bonuses work
Last edited by Danyael on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sailorseal on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Danyael wrote:
tlane wrote:

thank you my brain exploded when i read that

I understand the Goblins but I meant, what makes it worthwhile for Goblins?
I could make a Ghosts Map or Couch Lint?
What will attract people to this map, think about that.
The Goblin title makes me want to get my eyes checked, it is so blurry, tune it down.
I kind of like the slime affect but I would like to see it be a slime affect throughout, not just in the landscape, add it to all parts.
I believe a symbol is hiding below one of those mountains, I would reveal it
Cook sailorseal

Postby Danyael on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:21 pm

this is version 3.9
Click image to enlarge.

Things changed, in progress, and discussion needed
-added more territs bringing the total up to 38 +4 neutral starts
so 42 territs in total since 42 is the answer to life the galaxy and everything
i would like to add at least 4 more playable areas to start thus i could split the land more
or i could make the chiefs seperate territs(kinda lazy)

-started working on hobgoblin hut i have an early look at it on fungi i have not added it to
the legend or anything yet because i'm think about how i can and it in for game play
functionality. A few thoughts i have is its a separate territ starting neutral able to attack
other huts visa versa
-I slightly changed the highlight colours of the texture to make it not look as slimy and more
like a ground look surrounded by the Forest of Faces i am trying for a plastercine or clay
look but as i am very colourblind i must remind my self that everyone else sees different
colours then i do

oaktown wrote:Gameplay looks alright for a start... having not read through the thread I'm guessing that holding 7 "Muds" means seven territories that begin with "m" - if this is the case then Hooray! for make-your-own bonuses, but you'll have to explain it better. And be careful that the territory names aren't too similar - somebody will totally place their troops on Blrup when they meant to place them on Blruk.

-this got me thinking to switch up the legend and territ names i have found a nice font to
use for the territ and i have incorporated the tribe symbol to the territ name i have inly
began to do this does this make it clearer and then i can change the legend
up i.e skulls
aswell i'll try and not have the name to similar
-refined the border more and many other little touch-ups
things to do
finish up changing the territ fonts
finish up hobgoblin huts

to anwser your questions sailorseal
sailorseal wrote:I understand the Goblins but I meant, what makes it worthwhile for Goblins?
I could make a Ghosts Map or Couch Lint?
Could you?
What will attract people to this map, think about that.
people are atracted to it there has been a good amount of views maybe 50 - 60 are mine it takes awhile for a huge amount of interest due to this being my first map but i'm very patient and comments come it slowly but surely

I'll probably add a little poem to add to the theme but that isn't as important yet due to all they other things that need fixing before i add finishing touches

as well if you would have read this post about 2 or three above yours you would see that i'm working on it
Danyael wrote:i am currently working on some changes
adding more territs adding hobgoblin huts
but i was wondering if maybe i should incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" a welsh goblin tribe leader
as well I'll probably be changing the tribe names to the main sub types. Knockers(welsh and cornish folklore) trows(scottish folklore) spriggans (english) and the phooka(irish) or maybe kobolt(german) but i think that it would be best for the first four mentioned if i do incorporate "Gwyn ap Nudd" anythoughts

The Goblin title makes me want to get my eyes checked, it is so blurry, tune it down.
i'll try to tone it down it (i tried to tune it down but the e flat didn't look as good)
I kind of like the slime affect but I would like to see it be a slime affect throughout, not just in the landscape, add it to all parts.
i was not going for a slime effect so i'm not going to add slime to everything

I believe a symbol is hiding below one of those mountains, I would reveal it
maybe you should get your eyes checked cause i drew the mountains freehand and nothing is hidden it them

Re: Goblin Tribes v3.9 apr26 update pg 1 & 3

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:05 am

This map is too cool. Its source material is intentionally funny, eliciting more of Tolkien's bumbling goblins from the Hobbit than the scary hordes encountered in the constant company of orcs and things far more dark. Add to that the cutesy graphics, silly territory names, and simplistic bonus titles, and that's a funny force to be reckoned with.

Definitely go ahead with the different fonts and symbols, but try to keep the number of different fonts to a minimum, else your map looks like it is divided against itself. My personal quota for any map is at most two complementary fonts, but you can get away with 3 if you do it well.

Beyond that, here are my suggestions:
Gameplay/Understandability
- Avoid sideways text like it's the Black Plague. Most people are forced to cant their head sideways to read it, and you've got plenty of space left on the map to make it horizontal again.
- The restriction of +1 autodeploy on the chiefs when the tribe bonus is held just isn't possible right now. Conditional autodeploy has been a long-time asked for XML feature, but we're not due for an update on that in the near future. I think it's fine if the auto-deploy is there as is, as +1 isn't much unless you hold a tribe in addition to the chief, as you intend.
- Redo the bombardment explanation to be shorter and without asterisk. You don't need the asterisk, nor the second copy of the bombs.
- On the Zlup, Zlurk territories, it's sometimes too blurry to tell what exactly the text is, particularly with Zlup. I had to look at it twice not to say Zlub.
- The build-your-own bonus is cool, but in general, they seem too little for a 42-territory map. Perhaps add an "own all" higher bonus? Something to consider.

Graphics
- Goblin looks very blurry. I doubt that's your intended effect, and when compared to most of the map's clarity it's a bit jarring.
- Zip, Zlurk, Zlup, and Zuk are not centered in the bonus description up top.
- The evil mine connections look very blurry as well, and it doesn't seem to fit the feel of the map.
- The mountains are blurry, but somehow I think that it's appropriate for them. Maybe a little bit more clarity, but you can get away with some more blur on them than elsewhere.
- The borders of the "F" and "B" continents seem much less proper than the ones elsewhere. I liked the additional color on the other continents, and maybe on these you can use a two-tone of the same general shade instead of a different color entirely.

I think that's all I have for right now, so consider your map heartily
Image.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Danyael on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:26 pm

now i roll my white dice
TaCktiX wrote:This map is too cool. Its source material is intentionally funny, eliciting more of Tolkien's bumbling goblins from the Hobbit than the scary hordes encountered in the constant company of orcs and things far more dark. Add to that the cutesy graphics, silly territory names, and simplistic bonus titles, and that's a funny force to be reckoned with.

Thanks you hit then nail on the head that is what i'm going for!

Definitely go ahead with the different fonts and symbols, but try to keep the number of different fonts to a minimum, else your map looks like it is divided against itself. My personal quota for any map is at most two complementary fonts, but you can get away with 3 if you do it well.

here's a pic of the font i will be using
the top ones are the font that i started using on the territs i.e. scab, moog, figz, etc
the bottom two are the same font just capped and not
as much as i would love to have these on the territs its too hard to read this would be extra true on the small
but these will most likely be used for the title which i will discuss further a little lower
Beyond that, here are my suggestions:
Gameplay/Understandability
- Avoid sideways text like it's the Black Plague. Most people are forced to cant their head sideways to read it, and you've got plenty of space left on the map to make it horizontal again.

i totally agree it sucks turning your head is tough, but now with the more refined legend for the tribes i.e. hold "skull" bonus look this will give me alot more room
- The restriction of +1 autodeploy on the chiefs when the tribe bonus is held just isn't possible right now. Conditional autodeploy has been a long-time asked for XML feature, but we're not due for an update on that in the near future. I think it's fine if the auto-deploy is there as is, as +1 isn't much unless you hold a tribe in addition to the chief, as you intend.

is there good discussion on this if so do you know exactly where. I'll do a forum search "Conditional auto-deployment" and see what i come up with but if you know the best parts to read plz let me know
- Redo the bombardment explanation to be shorter and without asterisk. You don't need the asterisk, nor the second copy of the bombs.

gladly
- On the Zlup, Zlurk territories, it's sometimes too blurry to tell what exactly the text is, particularly with Zlup. I had to look at it twice not to say Zlub.

is it more the overlay on those names or the warp
i'm just trying out different things i'll make sure all name are alot harder to misread
- The build-your-own bonus is cool, but in general, they seem too little for a 42-territory map. Perhaps add an "own all" higher bonus? Something to consider.

:?: do you mean the bonus amount or to little amount of territs:?:
but i like the idea of complete bonuses as well but with the xmlImageproblem
i'll have to rethink a few thing in mind for bonuses
i'll have a new bonuses set up on the next map update
if you meant too little territs
i would have to disagree, but if adding hold all bonus would make it better then i'll add it forsure
Graphics
- Goblin looks very blurry. I doubt that's your intended effect, and when compared to most of the map's clarity it's a bit jarring.
- Zip, Zlurk, Zlup, and Zuk are not centered in the bonus description up top.
- The evil mine connections look very blurry as well, and it doesn't seem to fit the feel of the map.
- The mountains are blurry, but somehow I think that it's appropriate for them. Maybe a little bit more clarity, but you can get away with some more blur on them than elsewhere.

yes the title
i have been working on what i want for the final title and so the one there is just a stand in for now but i should make a note of that on the op sorry but i'll add that now asap
to get the right effect i'm going to have to do it in a vector program and i haven't used one since corel draw 6 so i'm getting used to illustrator
i want to make it a nice title with goblins hanging off on and around it
as well i'll tone down the brightness on the one for now

i do still need to fix up the smaller mountains they are not up to par with the main ones

- The borders of the "F" and "B" continents seem much less proper than the ones elsewhere. I liked the additional color on the other continents, and maybe on these you can use a two-tone of the same general shade instead of a different color entirely.

i'm terribly sorry but this confuses me
but i'll answer it the best i can
yes the border looks funny on the Fangs and Bloods mainly the Bloods i think looks terrible the more i look at it i belive it was to do to the blending option the color layer for that tribe is set on but i think i am going to start that area's land over again and and see where i messed it up
as for the Fangs i think the different flow of the borders lines doesn't match the rest as much due to the Snaking look where the others are a simpler flow this is also true with the Bloods borders and i'll try changing them to be more like the flowing border of the Muds and Skulls tribal regions

shades are one of my Nemesis i have a very bad colourblindness
and one shade could be a total different color for me or exactly the same
i cant see rainbows in the sky but i can see more colours in northern lights then most do
and as a colourblind person having all the colours as they are now it makes the different tribal grounds stand out at first glance making it easy to tell them apart
this being said with my eyes i think that the colours used on the Fangs and Bloods suits it well
as a redo bloods tribal grounds texture and colour as i mentioned i'll try and not make it as yellow but the brown i used on fangs i want to keep i like how it looks with the other colours but the land is a little flat so i could work on that and see if it improves it at all

i hope thats what you mean
if not could you explain better or show me colour examples

TaCktiX wrote:Image.

i hope i defended myself well enough since i can't see my white dice :lol:

thank you very much for your criticisms and suggestions the helps me immensely
edit:: sorry for the novel

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:01 am

Danyael wrote:i hope i defended myself well enough since i can't see my white dice :lol:

There is no defense against my attacks. Not even double 6's.

thank you very much for your criticisms and suggestions the helps me immensely
edit:: sorry for the novel

You're quite welcome, and do NOT apologize for a novel. It means you're putting serious thought into this map and how it should look, especially in light of feedback. You will write plenty of novels before this map is done, so get used to it and be happy when you post up a wall of text.

Postby mibi on Sun May 03, 2009 10:57 pm

um... this map has poop on it.
Captain mibi

Postby Danyael on Sun May 03, 2009 11:56 pm

:lol: sure does

he called the s**t, poop

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 am

When will the next update on this map be? I'm eager to see this one move forward.

Next

Return to Recycling Box