BeNeLux [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Tue May 22, 2007 5:19 pm

also shengen and neufchateau but there are several more.

marval, could you please post an image with 88 army numbers??

here are some more suggestions:
1. move ostkantone label a bit closer and remove the black line
2. move the zeeuws-vlaanderen army number onto the sea just like the other 3 numbers.
3. why does the monarchy border move outside into the neutral terit? caould you make it end where the playable terits end?

the map looks great. it has a nice clean look.

PS: you know what's funny? this map has the best designed non playable terit. i don't know why but it looks absolutely stunning.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby MarVal on Wed May 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Wisse wrote:
MarVal wrote:
Wisse wrote:you tried shadows after your armys shades? or make them pure white and than make them transparant? or with a border around the circle?

They're just the same as in previous updates.
And so they're not obviously in the picture.

Grtz
MarVal

i know but did you try if that did look better?

Yes, but then the map seems too look crowdy. See also some earlier updates.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal 1st Class MarVal

Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)
Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (15) General Contribution (5)

Postby MarVal on Wed May 23, 2007 1:26 pm

DiM wrote:marval, could you please post an image with 88 army numbers??

2. move the zeeuws-vlaanderen army number onto the sea just like the other 3 numbers.
3. why does the monarchy border move outside into the neutral terit? caould you make it end where the playable terits end?

PS: you know what's funny? this map has the best designed non playable terit. i don't know why but it looks absolutely stunning.

- Yes, I will do that in the next update (with 88 army numbers).
- 1. It can't, otherwise the text will come to close to the coat of arms of Belgium.
- 2. If I do that then men can't see were those armycircle belong. Because the end of that country is too small. Or do you have another idea how it works?
- 3. Its a little bit out the borders, so you can see that there are 3 seperate countries
- Thanks, that in you think the map looks great and has a nice clean look.
- I do not know, if I must see it as a compliment or....?

Thanks for your suggestions ans till next update.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby MarVal on Wed May 23, 2007 1:26 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I see quite a few coordinates that look a little out. Just with a quick look I can see:
  • Utrecht
  • Veluwe
  • Betuwe
  • Markizaat

I shall do it.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

Postby DiM on Wed May 23, 2007 3:08 pm

MarVal wrote:
DiM wrote:marval, could you please post an image with 88 army numbers??

- Yes, I will do that in the next update (with 88 army numbers).
- 1. It can't, otherwise the text will come to close to the coat of arms of Belgium.
- 2. If I do that then men can't see were those armycircle belong. Because the end of that country is too small. Or do you have another idea how it works?
- 3. Its a little bit out the borders, so you can see that there are 3 seperate countries
- Thanks, that in you think the map looks great and has a nice clean look.
- I do not know, if I must see it as a compliment or....?

Thanks for your suggestions ans till next update.

Grtz
MarVal

1. you can move the coat of arms a little bit.
2. fair enough
3. ok i understand. it's good

and yes that's a compliment in most maps people tend to neglect the non playable area and thus it looks worse than the playable part.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Re: UPDATE 30 (with XML)

Postby onbekende on Fri May 25, 2007 5:43 pm

MarVal wrote:Image

Army shades and army's that don't allign, 2 possibilitys t fix: move army, move shade. Between () will the offset be

Noord-Nederland:
Drenthe (left)
Frieland (down)

West-Nederland:
Utrecht (right)
Goeree-Overflakkee (right)
Schouwen-Duiveland (right)

Oost-Nederland:
Veluwe (left)

Zuid-Nederland:
Betuwe (right)
Markizaat (right)
Maaskant (left)
Limburg (left)

Vlaanderen:
Belg. Limburg (left)

Belgisch Brabant:
Vlaams (left)

La Wallonie:
Hainaut (right)
Thuin (left)
Namur (right-bottom)
Dinant (left)
Neufchateau (left-bottom)

Luxembourg:
Schengen (right)

Very nice map Marval
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant onbekende

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby BulaMatari on Fri May 25, 2007 5:57 pm

OK Marval our map has finished, so now its up to CC

:D :D :D
Corporal 1st Class BulaMatari

Postby MarVal on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:24 pm

Below the latest development of the map BeNeLux.

UPDATE 31 (with XML)
Larger map :
(600x550)

Some suggestions that were mentioned:

- XML with armynumers of 88.
- I'm working on the XML small.

So let us know what U think of the armyshadows with numbers on the map BeNeLux so far.

Grtz
MarVal
member of De Veroveraars Club
ImageImage

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:28 pm

BulaMatari wrote:OK Marval our map has finished, so now its up to CC

:D :D :D

He's got the small XML to do :wink:
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 203
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

UPDATE 32 (Small & Large with XML)

Postby MarVal on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:10 pm

UPDATE 32 (Small & Large with XML)

Larger map :
(600x550)

Smaller map :
(550x504)

- XML on small map with armynumers of 88.
- XML on large map with armynumbers of 88.

So let us know what U think of the armyshadows with numbers on the map BeNeLux so far.

Grtz
MarVal
Last edited by MarVal on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:12 pm

I think it's good to go.
Captain Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 203
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (32)

Postby Eyelidman on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Do belg limburg and wallon border each other? You should make that clear.
Cook Eyelidman

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:35 pm

Well spotted Eyelidman, 4-way borders are an unnecessary area of confusion.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby MarVal on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:51 am

Eyelidman wrote:Do belg limburg and wallon border each other? You should make that clear.

Yes, you have a sniper-eye....

I will change it tonight.
And by the way, they do not have borders between them. But off course I will change it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

UPDATE 33 XML (small & large)

Postby MarVal on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:52 pm

UPDATE 33 XML (small & large)

Larger map :
(600x550)

Smaller map :
(550x504)

- New border between Vlaams, Wallon, Belg. Limburg and Liège.
- Restyle image mountain.
- Text "OstKantone" near its country (no line between the country and the text).
- Coat of arms of Belgium a little bit downwards.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:14 pm

I've had a close look at your coordinates and all appear to be out the same amount. While I'm sure you have them centred, I think it's to do with the size of the army shadows themselves. It looks like they are 21 pixels in size, when you really want to go with even numbers with a minimum of 22 pixels.

Perhaps another little thing to consider would be the territory names. If you bolded them up a bit or made them a bit darker, they should be a bit easier on the eyes. As it is, I'm having a hard time reading some of the names, especially on the small map in Noord and Zuid-Nederland.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Medals: 3
Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby MarVal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:28 pm

KEYOGI wrote:I've had a close look at your coordinates and all appear to be out the same amount. While I'm sure you have them centred, I think it's to do with the size of the army shadows themselves. It looks like they are 21 pixels in size, when you really want to go with even numbers with a minimum of 22 pixels.

Perhaps another little thing to consider would be the territory names. If you bolded them up a bit or made them a bit darker, they should be a bit easier on the eyes. As it is, I'm having a hard time reading some of the names, especially on the small map in Noord and Zuid-Nederland.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I will change the armycircles into 22 pixels.
About the names, I tried to make them a bit darker in the smaller map, but now the names are overpowered. Now the names are too much in the picture. But I shall do in my powers too make them more easier for the eyes.

Tomorrow I add the new update.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

UPDATE 34 XML (small & large)

Postby MarVal on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:35 pm

UPDATE 34 XML (small & large)

Larger map :
(600x550)

Smaller map :
(550x504)

- Armycircles on the large and small map are now 22 pixels.
- The names of the countries are on the small map stronger (a bit darker).

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 pm

For the most part, the names on the small map easier to read, but they seem to be blurred or smudged looking in a few places.

And the Capital's legend looks little unreadable now. If the boldness doesn't work there, I'd revert back to normal thickness in that area, or if you really felt like it you could increase the size of the capital legend on the small map.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:16 pm

indeed some names like twenthe or salland look blurry.

and one more thing. maybe i'm just tired and my eyes are playing tricks on me but it seems the blue names have a white glow while all the other names don't. why?
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm

Hm, I think the white glow was added to have the dark text stand out a little from the dark background.

--Andy
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:38 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, I think the white glow was added to have the dark text stand out a little from the dark background.

--Andy

for me it's clearly visible without the glow but if it is a must then i think the glow should be present in all the names for consistency reasons.
Major DiM

Postby MarVal on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:29 pm

DiM wrote:for me it's clearly visible without the glow but if it is a must then i think the glow should be present in all the names for consistency reasons.

Hello DiM,

They all have the same shadows, but with different background colors, they seem too look different.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:33 pm

Marval, are the above images the latest updates?

--Andy
Retired Administrator

UPDATE 35 (small with/without inner glow)

Postby MarVal on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:17 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Marval, are the above images the latest updates?

--Andy

Hello Andy,

The large map on the UPDATE 34 XML is the latest update.
For the update of the smaller map see below:

UPDATE 35 (small with inner glow)

Smaller map :
(550x504)

UPDATE 35 (small without inner glow)

Smaller map :
(550x504)

- No more blurry names of the countries.
- Normal size of the Capital names.
- See for the large map previous update (UPDATE 34 XML).

So let us know what U think about the country names (with or without inner glow) on the map BeNeLux so far.

Grtz
MarVal
ImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas