BeNeLux [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby RuS on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Still i'd like to see the continent of 'de kempen' coming. Just cause it's more important in Belgium than 'Brugse Ommeland'.
You can take the West of Limburg and the East of Antwerp (you don't have to get the percise shape.
If you wouldn't adjust these, i'd feel sorry.
But nevertheless, it's your map.

I also would make 'Markizaat' a little bigger to the West, so Antwerpen and Walcheren don't touch anymore.

And a last idea, why don't introduce the 'countries' Voeren and Komen? It's quite a hot item in belgium, cause for example 'Voeren' hasn't got any border with Flandres but is Flemish (it lies against the dutch border in Liege).
Same with Komen but then in the west. And Komen is a part of Wallonie but lies in West-Vlaanderen.
User avatar
Corporal RuS
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Very few changes about playability. In general lines, its all the same, including Vlaanderen being the worst wasteland in all CC maps. Those changes make it just a bit better, it still needs an urgent bonus upgrade. About playability, I suggest you to split Zuid en Oost Nederland (maybe Zuid Nederland and Oost Nederland, lol) in two areas, each one at one side of that river. In this case, I also suggest:
1) Block Limburg to Belgisch Limburg route.
2) Make Walcheren an island, so it doesnt connect to other continents, even more to 2 continents.
3) Add route Markizaat to Zuid Holland.
4) Remove Waddengebied to Texel route.
5) Remove Dikrech to Neufchateau route (I still dislike it).

I dont know if there is something really terribly wrong about my suggestions, but I want place them.

I still cant understand why dont rename Vlaams Brabant as Bruxelles, and Noord Holland as Amsterdam.

The legend and the title are still not ok... the title is a bit blocky, and in fact I think this orange colour is too bright and a bit out of context, at least to normal mortals. The name of the red are in the legend is a bit difficult to read. And the unpassable borders now look like a fence... the old mountains were much better.

Just my opinion :)
Image
User avatar
Major Marvaddin
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby RuS on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:12 am

Marvaddin wrote:
I still cant understand why dont rename Vlaams Brabant as Bruxelles, and Noord Holland as Amsterdam.


Cause I guess you don't know much about the situation of the provinces in Belgium and Holland? Everywhere the regions are named after REGIONS or Provinces (although he could adjust Neufchateau to Ardennes and Dinant to Condroz). By the way, why should it be in French? In that place they speak Dutch as well.
User avatar
Corporal RuS
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Wisse on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 am

RuS wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:
I still cant understand why dont rename Vlaams Brabant as Bruxelles, and Noord Holland as Amsterdam.


Cause I guess you don't know much about the situation of the provinces in Belgium and Holland? Everywhere the regions are named after REGIONS or Provinces (although he could adjust Neufchateau to Ardennes and Dinant to Condroz). By the way, why should it be in French? In that place they speak Dutch as well.


don't name noord holland as amsterdam... amsterdam is a city not a province, bruxelles is possible i think ;)

and rus thats because 1/2 of belgium is france ;)
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby RuS on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:18 am

Wisse wrote:
and rus thats because 1/2 of belgium is france ;)


I ment 'Bruxelles' by that, why not just Brussel (it lays completely surrounded by 'Vlaanderen', logical, no?)
User avatar
Corporal RuS
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Wisse on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:29 am

RuS wrote:
Wisse wrote:
and rus thats because 1/2 of belgium is france ;)


I ment 'Bruxelles' by that, why not just Brussel (it lays completely surrounded by 'Vlaanderen', logical, no?)

eum brussel/bruxelles is also 1/2 france :P so he have to chose
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby RuS on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am

Wisse wrote:
RuS wrote:
Wisse wrote:
and rus thats because 1/2 of belgium is france ;)


I ment 'Bruxelles' by that, why not just Brussel (it lays completely surrounded by 'Vlaanderen', logical, no?)

eum brussel/bruxelles is also 1/2 france :P so he have to chose


I don't care, I will not give it to the Wallons, with their fake news and all... :):D;)
User avatar
Corporal RuS
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:31 pm
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby VDB on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:37 am

Brussels is not part of Vlaams Brabant, nor is it part of Brabant wallon (which erronuously is called simply "wallon" on the Benelux map. It is an independant city-region within Belgium with it's own gouvernment.
Contrary to the surrounding Vlaams Brabant and Brabant wallon, it is an officially bilingual french-dutch speaking region.

By the way: PLEASE USE THE NAME "BRUSSELS" in stead of "Bruxelles" on the map. "Bruxelles" is only one of two official and equaly valid names and using only the french version might seriously offend some Dutch speaking Belgian players on this forum.

I know maps are supposed to be practical, rather than pollitically correct, but it would be sad to see this map give a wrong impression of pollitical reality in the Benelux (for the same reason i would prefer to see you guys drop the orange baxkgrounds, which are an exclusive Dutch thing and have nothing to do with Belgium or Luxemburg. Nice idea for the dutch map, but inapropriate for a benelux map.)
User avatar
Private VDB
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby dafranca on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:45 am

Marvaddin wrote:Very few changes about playability. In general lines, its all the same, including Vlaanderen being the worst wasteland in all CC maps. Those changes make it just a bit better, it still needs an urgent bonus upgrade. About playability, I suggest you to split Zuid en Oost Nederland (maybe Zuid Nederland and Oost Nederland, lol) in two areas, each one at one side of that river. In this case, I also suggest:
1) Block Limburg to Belgisch Limburg route.
2) Make Walcheren an island, so it doesnt connect to other continents, even more to 2 continents.
3) Add route Markizaat to Zuid Holland.
4) Remove Waddengebied to Texel route.
5) Remove Dikrech to Neufchateau route (I still dislike it).


Those sugestion to Marvaddin will improve alot the gameability.
In addition to Marvaddin's sugestion:
6) Add non-crossing in Brugse Ommeland to Xeeuws- Vlaanderen.
7) After you remove Waddengebied to Texel route, make Noord-Nederland +2 bonus only.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class dafranca
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:04 pm
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:03 pm

VDB wrote:Brussels is not part of Vlaams Brabant, nor is it part of Brabant wallon (which erronuously is called simply "wallon" on the Benelux map. It is an independant city-region within Belgium with it's own gouvernment.
Contrary to the surrounding Vlaams Brabant and Brabant wallon, it is an officially bilingual french-dutch speaking region.

By the way: PLEASE USE THE NAME "BRUSSELS" in stead of "Bruxelles" on the map. "Bruxelles" is only one of two official and equaly valid names and using only the french version might seriously offend some Dutch speaking Belgian players on this forum.

I know maps are supposed to be practical, rather than pollitically correct, but it would be sad to see this map give a wrong impression of pollitical reality in the Benelux (for the same reason i would prefer to see you guys drop the orange baxkgrounds, which are an exclusive Dutch thing and have nothing to do with Belgium or Luxemburg. Nice idea for the dutch map, but inapropriate for a benelux map.)


Actually, as far as I know Brussels (English) is internationally knows as Bruxelles and Belgium as Belgique. I don't know why the French version is used. Even if you check Euronews they use Bruxelles. Maybe Euronews is controlled by the Walloon? *lol* I prefer Bruxelles though...it sounds more chic. Sorry about that Flemish friends. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:08 pm

just make in the legend "brussel/bruxelles" and everyone is happy

and the orange things aren't just dutch, you know we don't use orange much. only with sport and queensday, i like it on the map ;)
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:11 pm

Wisse wrote:just make in the legend "brussel/bruxelles" and everyone is happy

and the orange things aren't just dutch, you know we don't use orange much. only with sport and queensday, i like it on the map ;)


And why not Bruxelles/Brussel? :p
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby onbekende on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Because 60% speak dutch in Belgium
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class onbekende
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Belgium
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm

onbekende wrote:Because 60% speak dutch in Belgium


But that's Bruxelles...I think 50.1% speak French there right? ;) I am kidding guys. :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
Wisse wrote:just make in the legend "brussel/bruxelles" and everyone is happy

and the orange things aren't just dutch, you know we don't use orange much. only with sport and queensday, i like it on the map ;)


And why not Bruxelles/Brussel? :p

omg :P it doesn't matter! :P
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login