Conquer Club

Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nordic Countries <v.60> p1 [GP,G,X,B] images ready 4 upload

Postby natty dread on Sat May 08, 2010 11:42 am

Hmm, I could try it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby NightWolf on Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 am

I think this is the proper place to report it, and it's a little trivial but worth to mention. The one iceland territory with on the map is call Sudorland is shown as something lightly different in the dropbox when selecting a territory - the "d" in the name is a nonstandard ASCII character. Maybe this is deliberate, or maybe not, but this had me confused for a few minutes. I would like it if this could be rectified.
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Postby natty dread on Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm

If you look closely you can see there's a ð both in the map and in the XML. It is the correct spelling of Suðurland, so I will be keeping it as it is.

On another note, here is the update with the superboni made clearer in the minimap.

large:
Click image to enlarge.

small: Image

Can I get these uploaded please ;)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 pm

just finnished your game you started man. My first impressions are of this map are this - Gameplay=- Exquisite| Artwork=- beautiful if not a little smurf villiage'ish |

I like the map, mainly because it suites my style of play (8 man esc terms) .

I had to switch to bigmap to finnish off the last game because some of the territorys are small, but thats ok. But I will say even on the big map that little "all" legend you have bottom right is not old eye friendly.

I dont toss this around a lot. But this map when released will instantly be one of the top 15 maps in CC

ps you get it? "Finnished"?? jaja crack me up
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby fumandomuerte on Wed May 12, 2010 1:54 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:Gameplay=- Exquisite.

That's a very accurate adjective ;)
Again, great work Natty.
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby natty dread on Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

As for the legend... AON, I suppose you mean the "All norway all sweden" etc. text? I'm not sure what I could do to improve it... any suggestions?

As for the gameplay, I have to say it seems fairly well balanced even if I do say so myself. So far - at least in the games I have played - I haven't seen any single area too overpowering related to the others. Iceland caused some worries in the gameplay phase - some thought it too powerful with the isolated location & bottlenecks, but so far it doesn't seem to be the case...

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm

kind of meant something like this except I spent literally 15 secs on it and it looks like crap, but it gives you the idea

its up to you man, you are the creator, and i was able to figure it out after a bit of studying and previous knowledge of the region.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Wed May 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Well I did something like that on the latest version:

Click image to enlarge.

I also tried making the country borders even thicker, but it looked really weird, so I thought this would suffice...

Re: Nordic Countries <v.60> p1 [GP,G,X,B] images ready 4 upl

Postby squishyg on Mon May 17, 2010 9:35 pm

i had a lot of fun playing this map. i should note that i played several rounds on a 2" inch BlackBerry screen and I still managed a win, which i really think speaks to the clarity of the map. well done!

p.s. can you code it so i get such a fortuitous drop in all future assassin games?
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby natty dread on Tue May 18, 2010 5:06 am

squishyg wrote:i had a lot of fun playing this map. i should note that i played several rounds on a 2" inch BlackBerry screen and I still managed a win, which i really think speaks to the clarity of the map. well done!

p.s. can you code it so i get such a fortuitous drop in all future assassin games?

Thanks, glad you had fun on the map.

And the map already is coded so. If you don't believe, start more games on it ;)

Postby b00kw0rm on Tue May 18, 2010 8:48 am

Just crushed my bro on this map. That means it gets an instant 5 star rating from me! :D
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Postby skeletonboy on Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 am

Only problem I've found is that its difficult to tell that Bornholm is part of the Denmark bonus. Other than that, it is very clear and balenced.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby natty dread on Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 am

skeletonboy wrote:Only problem I've found is that its difficult to tell that Bornholm is part of the Denmark bonus. Other than that, it is very clear and balenced.

Well, where else could it belong but denmark? It only connects to Köbenhavn, the capital of denmark... It would be really silly if it belonged to any other bonus area, I'd think most people should be able to figure it out...

So far you're the only one complaining about this, but if there are any more people who agree with you then I could move the army circle a bit.

Postby lt.Futt on Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Nordland and Södra Lappland should have common border. The Trøndelag - Iceland circle is too tempting for unbalanced players. North Norway bonus is too unavalible to break. Loosen up a bit. I suggest that you withdraw the mountain range a bit north.

Else to mention is that I enjoy playing the map with balanced players. Nice map.

Congratulations! =D>
Major lt.Futt

Postby natty dread on Fri May 21, 2010 12:54 pm

lt. Futt wrote:Nordland and Södra Lappland should have common border. The Trøndelag - Iceland circle is too tempting for unbalanced players. North Norway bonus is too unavalible to break. Loosen up a bit. I suggest that you withdraw the mountain range a bit north.

If you have a problem with the scandinavian mountain chain I suggest you take it up with the swedish & norwegians. Perhaps you can convince them to demolish a part of those mountains.

Postby porkenbeans on Fri May 21, 2010 3:01 pm

natty_dread wrote:
lt. Futt wrote:Nordland and Södra Lappland should have common border. The Trøndelag - Iceland circle is too tempting for unbalanced players. North Norway bonus is too unavalible to break. Loosen up a bit. I suggest that you withdraw the mountain range a bit north.

If you have a problem with the scandinavian mountain chain I suggest you take it up with the swedish & norwegians. Perhaps you can convince them to demolish a part of those mountains.
You could just take out one or two of the peaks, from the middle of the chain. Then it would represent a pass in the mountains. You can still have your mountains in their proper place, and also alter GP as needed. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Take it up with the Swedish, I say. The Swedes like to dig things. Perhaps you can convince them how easy it is to just take out one or two peaks. Let me know when they finish digging them up, so I can update the map.

Postby natty dread on Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Seriously, if you haven't noticed by now, I'm pulling your leg, yanking your chain, tickling your ballsack, however you americans say it these days.

Even more seriously, I can consider altering the gameplay, but I'm going to want some more reason to do it than "I lost a game because my enemy held XX so can you make it easier to assault"... :?

The whole point of the area is that it is easy to hold. I haven't seen anyone else complain about any imbalance. I even read dozens of game chats of random nordic games. Nothing I've seen so far indicates that the area would be too powerful. Sure it's easiest to take, but someone holding all of Finland has a much stronger and easier to defend position. Denmark, Foroyar + Gothland combination is also a worthy rival.

Postby porkenbeans on Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Who says that all mountains must be impasses ? It is just a matter of having the right footwear. :lol:
Meet the "SWEED". inventor of Alpine warfare.

Inventor of "skiis".

If you were to do anything appropriate for the Sweeds', it would have to be, a one way attack over the mountains. Seems like a cool thing to do, as a homage towards the inventors of the ski, and subsequent adoption of its use, in warfare. ;)

You could even use the image as an icon. It is Free domain.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 am

:-s :?

I can consider altering the gameplay, but I'm going to want some more reason to do it than "I lost a game because my enemy held XX so can you make it easier to assault"...

Postby 00iCon on Sat May 22, 2010 9:26 am

Couldn't Norrland have a slightly larger bonus? it's in the middle of the map and has quite a few openings.
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby natty dread on Sat May 22, 2010 12:05 pm

00iCon wrote:Couldn't Norrland have a slightly larger bonus? it's in the middle of the map and has quite a few openings.

It only has 3 borders to defend.

Postby natty dread on Sat May 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Well, something that I could consider would be increasing bonuses of south finland and swealand by 1 each. South finland is huge and thus hard to take, and swealand is hard to hold with 5 borders.

This would balance against the strong areas of north finland - north norway and gothland-denmark.

Postby natty dread on Mon May 24, 2010 11:07 am

natty_dread wrote:Well, something that I could consider would be increasing bonuses of south finland and swealand by 1 each. South finland is huge and thus hard to take, and swealand is hard to hold with 5 borders.

This would balance against the strong areas of north finland - north norway and gothland-denmark.

Any support for this?

Postby ManBungalow on Mon May 24, 2010 11:20 am

natty_dread wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Well, something that I could consider would be increasing bonuses of south finland and swealand by 1 each. South finland is huge and thus hard to take, and swealand is hard to hold with 5 borders.

Any support for this?

Leave the map as it is.
Colonel ManBungalow

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas