Conquer Club

Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nordic Countries <v.60> p1 [GP,G,X,B] images ready 4 upl

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm

natty_dread wrote:It seems people like the gameplay as is, so I won't be making any further changes (unless something unexpected comes up). As soon as MrBenn can send the updated images (in the 1st post) to lack, we can get on with quenching this map ;)

Sorry to be a pain; please could you repost the updated link to the end of the thread, with a brief summary of what has changed? As far as I'm concerned I wasn't aware you needed anything updated - although you mention it's a graphical tweak only??

Cheers ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:53 pm

From the 1st post:

Updated images - upload these please

large: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2039 ... opev60.png
small: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9930/n ... 0small.png

And yes it's a graphical update only. The sea glow (the glow in the sea that follows the coastline) opacity was lowered as per requests, also the country borders on the minimap were strengthened to allow easier recognition of superboni.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Benn, have you sent the updates to lack yet?

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:Benn, have you sent the updates to lack yet?

Yes; I had a big catch up, and spammed lack with updates for pretty much every map going :lol:
I think he's updated about 1/3 to 1/2 of them now ;)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Cool. :)

Seems like a lot of work though, mapmakers posting updates to threads, you sending them to lack, and lack uploading them on the site... Perhaps the web developer could think of a feature that lets the foundry mods upload the map files themselves, so we wouldn't have to bother lack with every single update.

Even better, what if mapmakers could just send the files themselves, then the foundry mod or lack would just check & approve them and they'd go live...

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 pm

So, if it's a graphics update only, there is no reason to wait to start a new game, am I right? The gameplay isn't going to change in the middle.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 am

ender516 wrote:So, if it's a graphics update only, there is no reason to wait to start a new game, am I right? The gameplay isn't going to change in the middle.

Right. No gameplay changes have been made.

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Nordic Countries Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations natty_dread, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

:)

Thank you everyone who helped me to achieve this goal.

Onward to new challenges...

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Congratulations, natty! =D> I suppose this means that development of Transsib will be stepped up.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:29 am

ender516 wrote:Congratulations, natty! =D> I suppose this means that development of Transsib will be stepped up.

No, unfortunately. I already have 2 maps in the foundry... Trans-siberian will have to wait a bit longer...

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am

Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 am

isaiah40 wrote:Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!

Thanks. Your help was also valuable in the making of this map. :)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Congra =D> =D> =D> ts Natty!!

Thanks. Your help was also valuable in the making of this map. :)

Your welcome, anytime!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:22 am

Sorry my first game on this map... Ugh the southern bonuses are hard as hell to tell what goes with what. I find myself not being able to tell what is what. I am sure I am not the only one.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:51 am

Bruceswar wrote:Sorry my first game on this map... Ugh the southern bonuses are hard as hell to tell what goes with what. I find myself not being able to tell what is what. I am sure I am not the only one.

Actually yes you are.

What are you hoping to accomplish anyway? This map was in beta for a loooong time, nobody complained. Beta period is over, if you don't like the map nobody forces you to play it.

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 am

natty_dread wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Sorry my first game on this map... Ugh the southern bonuses are hard as hell to tell what goes with what. I find myself not being able to tell what is what. I am sure I am not the only one.

Actually yes you are.

What are you hoping to accomplish anyway? This map was in beta for a loooong time, nobody complained. Beta period is over, if you don't like the map nobody forces you to play it.

You failed to miss my point. I will just move along since you missed it. Anyhow, nobody said I do not like the map..
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby carlpgoodrich on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:45 am

Bruceswar wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Actually yes you are.

You failed to miss my point. I will just move along since you missed it. Anyhow, nobody said I do not like the map..

I have to say, Natty, that I do agree with him to some extent. I really like the map and I know it has been quenched. But, I have found that I have a big advantage over people who haven't played the map because they get confused. For example: Foroyar and Svalbard are not strictly part of any bonus region, but Aland, Gotland, and Bornholm are. For those three, the army circles cover the whole island and make it very hard tell if its color is close enough to the rest of the region to be included.

Another area of major confusion (much bigger in my experience) is when dotted lines connect to a city. Since they have the appearance of going under the city icon, many people think that they connect with the underlying territory, not the city. I have had games where people load up on Vesturland, for example, only to have me easily take their one on Reykjavik and break their bonus.

I know the map has been quenched and these concerns should have been made earlier (frankly I am shocked they weren't), but they are such easy fixes I don't see a reason not to.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:10 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Actually yes you are.

I have to say, Natty, that I do agree with him to some extent. I really like the map and I know it has been quenched. But, I have found that I have a big advantage over people who haven't played the map because they get confused. For example: Foroyar and Svalbard are not strictly part of any bonus region, but Aland, Gotland, and Bornholm are. For those three, the army circles cover the whole island and make it very hard tell if its color is close enough to the rest of the region to be included.

Another area of major confusion (much bigger in my experience) is when dotted lines connect to a city. Since they have the appearance of going under the city icon, many people think that they connect with the underlying territory, not the city. I have had games where people load up on Vesturland, for example, only to have me easily take their one on Reykjavik and break their bonus.

I know the map has been quenched and these concerns should have been made earlier (frankly I am shocked they weren't), but they are such easy fixes I don't see a reason not to.

Bingo! 100% spot on.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:43 am

The map is quenched, and I'm not going to bring it back to development because 2 people say so. Perhaps you guys should have spoken when the map was still in beta, or when it was in development - there was loads of time, but I didn't see either of you.

I've played tons of games on the map for beta testing, and the majority of people had no problems figuring out what is what on the map.

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

I had the same problem as Bruce and carlpgoodrich when I first played this map.
It only takes one game or a few minutes inspecting BoB to work it out though, much easier than trying to decipher more complicated maps such as Stalingrad.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:05 am

Also:

Another area of major confusion (much bigger in my experience) is when dotted lines connect to a city. Since they have the appearance of going under the city icon, many people think that they connect with the underlying territory, not the city.

If people refuse to read the legend I can hardly help that, can I.

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:41 am

ManBungalow wrote:I had the same problem as Bruce and carlpgoodrich when I first played this map.
It only takes one game or a few minutes inspecting BoB to work it out though, much easier than trying to decipher more complicated maps such as Stalingrad.

I do not use bob, along with many others. It took me ages to figure out which islands went with what.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby carlpgoodrich on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:12 pm

natty_dread wrote:The map is quenched, and I'm not going to bring it back to development because 2 people say so. Perhaps you guys should have spoken when the map was still in beta, or when it was in development - there was loads of time, but I didn't see either of you.

I've played tons of games on the map for beta testing, and the majority of people had no problems figuring out what is what on the map.

I agree that the majority of people don't have a problem, but why not make it EVERYBODY? Its a really easy fix, maybe 20 min of work(?). My point is just that it is such a beautiful map and is so much fun to play, I hate the idea that some people are turning away from it after playing it once because the graphics are not clear. I think things like this are all that is keeping it from being one of the top 8-10 maps on CC.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I asked many times, from many people, if they had trouble figuring out any features on the map, and no one had.

I understand your problem is with the baltic islands.

Thing is, unlike you seem to think, fixing this would not be a "simple easy fix" - I would have to redraw army circles, redraw sea routes and change the XML coordinates. So you will have to show me that there is a really large demand for a change like this.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't hurt to use some common sense: bornholm only connects to denmark so logically it also belongs to denmark. Gotland only connects to Gothland, and in the case of Åland you should be able to see the colour of the island matches south finland.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas