Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nordic Countries (revamp)

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:24 pm

Their :P
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:27 pm

It is a good thing to make connections more clear than on the old map. Now Aland is clearly connected to Stockholm and not to Uppland.

But Oslo seems to touch Oppland and Hedmark. Maybe move the borders a bit so that Oslo really sits inside Akershus?

Freshening up the graphics is welcome for me. Although some character is lost here. Maybe have a glimpse of northern light or the sun that never sets? Also the capital symbol in the legend could have a cross like all the flags have but without any colours.
Major sannemanrobinson

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Done & done.

Click image to enlarge.

Northern lights and non-setting suns... meh. I don't think I could do them so that they'd fit the style of the map. Also, I don't even know where I would cram them...

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:03 am

I like this current texture much better than the first one you had. Overall, I would say that this does liven up the map a bit.
Major tkr4lf

Medals: 64
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 am

Ok, while I'm waiting for the mods to get things moving, here are some mock-ups with army numbers.

Large version, 750x800
Click image to enlarge.

Scaled to 600x640
Click image to enlarge.

Scaled to 563x600
Click image to enlarge.

I'm hoping I can be allowed to make the small version 600x640, since it would be significantly clearer in the tight places. It would improve the clarity of the map.

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Actually, for the 10 extra pixels for clarity reasons, just go ahead and do it.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby Gillipig on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm

May I suggest a darker yellow color on the Swedish shield
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Gillipig wrote:May I suggest a darker yellow color on the Swedish shield

You may, and I've already done it, it will be visible in the next update.

isaiah40 wrote:Actually, for the 10 extra pixels for clarity reasons, just go ahead and do it.

Actually it's 40 extra pixels, but ok, thanks.

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:17 pm

natty_dread has confirmed to me that he will work only on graphics, with the exception of some minor XML adjustments (i.e. coordinates).

For the above reason, I'm going to move this topic directly into the Main Foundry Workshop.

[Moved]

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Nordic Countries [Quenched]

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:27 pm

The mapmaker has started to work on a graphics revamp of this map, please visit that topic to leave your suggestions.

MAP REVAMP TOPIC --> viewtopic.php?f=241&t=150683

[Locked]

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Re: Nordic Countries [Graphics Revamp]

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks nobodies.

Now, then... the original map had a compass. I wonder if I should make one for this one too?

There was also a legend about the impassables, but I've come to regard those as sort of redundant... everyone already knows mountains, rivers, etc. are impassables.

Also, is there anything else anyone would like to comment here - anything that sticks out, anything that should be changed?

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 am

Compass?

Click image to enlarge.

Postby Gillipig on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am

natty_dread wrote:Compass?

Click image to enlarge.

I remember the compass discussion was quite substantial when you first made this map. There where a lot of edits to try to get the best possible compass but in the end it wasn't as colorful as I would've liked! So my advice is to make it a lot more colorful this time around! Try to get many colors in there. A compass has the potential to be a maps diamond so don't make it bland. A wow effect compass would be awesome on this map!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:06 am

Got to agree with Gillipig. The map has to be the one thing to stand out, as it has been said before in the thread, the map has a lot of competition with the style of game play so one thing to draw it out could be the difference between success and failure.

EDIT: One thing though with the current compass, it does not really go with the title.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:28 am

Cramming "lots of colours" into something does not necessarily make it awesome. In fact, I would argue it will often do exactly the opposite...

Postby Gillipig on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:34 am

natty_dread wrote:Cramming "lots of colours" into something does not necessarily make it awesome. In fact, I would argue it will often do exactly the opposite...

I trust your taste in colors is better than whoever made that paint job natty :lol: ! I think a rainbow colored compass could be a hit if done with taste. I'm firmly against a 1 or 2 colored compass! Needs to be more than 2 colors!!
Edit: The whole point is for it to stand out and it's hard to do that with few colors!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Gillipig wrote:Edit: The whole point is for it to stand out and it's hard to do that with few colors!

Totally untrue. Using lots of colours is no guarantee for visual intensity. Conversely, using few colours doesn't mean that something is necessarily bland.

Anyway, there's another alternative... I could just integrate the compass with the title:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:55 am

Looks better there.

Is the compass pointing north though?
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973

Medals: 117
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (10)

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:02 am

koontz1973 wrote:Looks better there.

Is the compass pointing north though?

Does it matter?

Postby RjBeals on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 am

work on the mountain ranges - so they are less blurry

would be cool to include lots of scandinavian fjords - more true to real life

I say lose the texture in the lands - if you want to shoot for something cool - the Westeros map over at the guild would be inspiration for a cold feeling.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 am

I'll work on the mountains. I've never seen a fjord, and I don't think I have the skills to pull of something like the westeros map in your guild.

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:43 pm

More mountains

Click image to enlarge.

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:49 pm

This last mountain version is definitely more icey than the first post. Some shade could help make them keep the depth and contrast? Talking about shade, Does the light ever come from the northwest?

The dotted line behind the compass could be bent to the left.
Major sannemanrobinson

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 pm

I accidentally deleted those mountains... I'll have to start over... #-o

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas