Conquer Club

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.11.12] QUENCHED

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:28 am

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, everyone needs to take a break from this. There is no need to continue bickering back and forth.

do you have a way to fix these lines isaiah40?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Gillipig on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I hate to see this map in the recycling box :( !
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby mviola on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:23 am

I seriously hate everyone for letting this be binned.
High Score: 2906
Major mviola

Re: RAIL ASIA [23.2.12] V29-P24 Final adjustments

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:51 am

Major Nola_Lifer

Re: RAIL ASIA [11.3.12] V31-P27 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Image deleted and moved to next page.
Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [11.3.12] V31-P27 Final adjustments

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 pm

This looks really great cairns! Good job. =D>
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 pm

This is puuuurrrrrrfect cairns!! Well done!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:21 am

guys, you can well jump up and down at this if you want but i still far from impressed at PS
I still have to go through now and re-size every single station again on the grid because when up-scaling the image, PS doesn't keep the outer edge of the stroke lines on the grid.
it's a shame that i had to go through this process for the lines, not mention the other shit that went with it. Version 29 was still overall better than this version even though it now has perrrrffffeeeccctttly straight boxes.
This has taken 4 attempts at re-doing stations from wow to go in three diferent programs just to satisfy this condition, and i consider that unreasonable for a site that doesn't pay professionally, nor for other commentors who can't also live-up to their own professional ideals.
And i am still not happy that i have had to re-draw this in PS and lost the quality of the background image because it had to be "placed" in PS.

So...there is still a way to go yet. :roll:
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:54 am

Good work cairnswk. Stations look perfect.

Posted this but removed and now reposting it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:00 pm

let me just say that the new stations are wonderful.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:And i am still not happy that i have had to re-draw this in PS and lost the quality of the background image because it had to be "placed" in PS.

How is that?

Can't you export the background image (ie. the map without the stations) as a bitmap in the original software, then import that bitmap in PS and add the stations on top of it there? The background should stay unchanged that way.

That said, I don't really see anything wrong with the background though... what exactly is the problem with it?

Re: RAIL ASIA [12.3.12] V31-P27 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [12.3.12] V31-P28 Final adjustments

Postby DiM on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:19 pm

1. the top of the tbs station is faulty. a and j aren't aligned to form a proper tip. not sure how to explain this better...

2. the dsh station pentagon is slightly tilted to the right, thus forming a weird skewed pentagon. also the way the corners form is a bit off. like the little isosceles trapezes aren't aligned

3. alignment issues on the bjn station too.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby ender516 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:31 pm

I have a bad feeling that the misalignments in the various polygons that DiM has pointed out may be due to restricting the vertices to an alignment grid, which got us the very crisp lines we are seeing now. I do hope we are not faced with a choice of one or the other.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 am

ender516 wrote:I have a bad feeling that the misalignments in the various polygons that DiM has pointed out may be due to restricting the vertices to an alignment grid, which got us the very crisp lines we are seeing now. I do hope we are not faced with a choice of one or the other.

There is a compromise...above. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [12.3.12] V31-P28 Final adjustments

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:10 am

Maybe I'm missing something but is there a reason why you can't do what I said in my last post?

natty dread wrote:Can't you export the background image (ie. the map without the stations) as a bitmap in the original software, then import that bitmap in PS and add the stations on top of it there? The background should stay unchanged that way.

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:23 pm

natty dread wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but is there a reason why you can't do what I said in my last post?

natty dread wrote:Can't you export the background image (ie. the map without the stations) as a bitmap in the original software, then import that bitmap in PS and add the stations on top of it there? The background should stay unchanged that way.

natty i don't have time right now as i have uni on, but will explain fully by Thursday.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 am

natty dread wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but is there a reason why you can't do what I said in my last post?

natty. the original was done in Coreldraw.
CD doesn't save to but exports to PS.
the below image shows the deterioration on the original.

Srcreenshots...
A = the original
B = the exported file
C= the placed image into PS.
It doesn't matter whether you export as vector or default, but bitmaps deteriorate worse so that wasn't an option.

I simply feel that by the time you export from one program into another and then export out again to another .png, there is going to be loss of image intergrity, and it is this i am disappointed in.

Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 am

Could ImageMagick be of any assistance here? I understand that it is quite the image file converter.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am

What I mean is, export the image from Coreldraw into a PNG, without the stations... the same way you originally saved the image directly from coreldraw. Then import that PNG as a regular layer in photoshop. Then just add the stations in photoshop like you did before. That way, the background should look the same way as originally, when you only used coreldraw.

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:12 am

natty dread wrote:What I mean is, export the image from Coreldraw into a PNG, without the stations... the same way you originally saved the image directly from coreldraw. Then import that PNG as a regular layer in photoshop. Then just add the stations in photoshop like you did before. That way, the background should look the same way as originally, when you only used coreldraw.

I am already doing your suggestion...are you not seeing the deterioration in the image when it is exported from CD to a png?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:14 am

ender516 wrote:Could ImageMagick be of any assistance here? I understand that it is quite the image file converter.

Thanks ender516. i'll have a look at this.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 pm

cairnswk wrote:
natty dread wrote:What I mean is, export the image from Coreldraw into a PNG, without the stations... the same way you originally saved the image directly from coreldraw. Then import that PNG as a regular layer in photoshop. Then just add the stations in photoshop like you did before. That way, the background should look the same way as originally, when you only used coreldraw.

I am already doing your suggestion...are you not seeing the deterioration in the image when it is exported from CD to a png?

Ok, I really don't see how that is possible.

How did you originally save your map, when you only used Coreldraw? Why didn't it deteriorate then?

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:38 pm

natty dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Ok, I really don't see how that is possible.

How did you originally save your map, when you only used Coreldraw? Why didn't it deteriorate then?

CD saves as .cdr. CD can export as a png/jpg/gif/psd/ai...i exported as a .png which you have often told me in the past is the best. It did deteriorate then...but that is part of what i am saying. It deterioraites enough when saving from CD to .png. importing that png into program and then exporting it again only deteriorates it further.
Now, please enought of this one, i know you're only trying to help, but let's move on.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:It deterioraites enough when saving from CD to .png. importing that png into program and then exporting it again only deteriorates it further.

Ok, that shouldn't be possible.

I get it that you lose some quality when you save as PNG from CD, since CD is a vector software. But when you import that PNG to photoshop, it should stay the same. PNG is a lossless format. If I import a PNG image as a layer in GIMP, then save that image again as PNG, it stays exactly the same. The same should apply to photoshop by all logic.

I can see a couple of possible explanations here:

- maybe you are saving the image as an 8-bit indexed png instead of a 24 bit RGB png? PNG supports both 24-bit and 8-bit colour modes, so if you're saving as an 8-bit PNG, you'll obviously lose some detail and colour depth. You could check the settings in both softwares and see if there are options to how the PNG:s are exported.

- another explanation is that you have some sort of filters or adjustment layers active in photoshop which modify the original PNG somehow.

- or maybe you're not working in rgb mode in photoshop? if you're working in some other colourspace, like cmyk or ycbcr, it can modify the image.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas