Re: RAIL ASIA [1.11.12] QUENCHED

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [23.2.12] V29-P24 Final adjustments

Postby ender516 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I can see the issue that DiM is raising. I'm not sure that it bothers me a lot, but I am surprised that some lines can be made crisp and others stay blurry. I wonder if it is not just the positioning of the lines as natty suggested, but also the size of the boxes. I mean, if a box is actually 40.3 pixels tall, then no matter how you align it, you won't get the top and bottom both looking sharp, so maybe the answer is to reposition the boxes so that the top line is on a grid and clear, then resize them also on the grid.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Re: RAIL ASIA [23.2.12] V29-P24 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Dibbler wrote:The colours of the lines for the B and J appear to be reversed in the new version for station MHD. The B should be grey and the J Brown.

Thanks Dibbler, i have adjusted that and will upload shortly.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Last edited by cairnswk on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:31 am

cairnswk gave me the original file. There's nothing wrong with it and like I said him I was right about where the problem was. Simply when saved as png, the lines change with the softare he uses.
So there's no way for him to fix this issue except export the file in PS, draw the station from the scratch and save the file as png.
Personally i don't think that those lines are a big issue, so it's up to the foundry people to say if it's a big issue or not.
Cairsnwk, if you're willing to fix it let me know and i tell you a quick way to do that with PS ;)

If someone thinks I'm telling something not true about his original file this is a screenshot:

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:56 am

How about this:

- export the map image without stations
- export each different station into a separate image with transparent background
- then add the stations as bitmaps in PS on top of the map image without stations - problem solved, all stations will be 100% identical.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:12 pm

yes exactly ;)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Firstly, tnb80, thank-you for comfirming what i was saying about the Coreldraw export process, and thank-you for trying this.
natty, thank you for your attempted solution.

The above image is the test result of your process for the BGW and RUH stations only.
1. i exported the ovcerall image to PS.
2. i exported BGW complete station (with dome) to PS and placed the station on above image.
3. i exported the RUH station only as uncompressed vector no anti-aliasing and placed it on map - certainly the quality of the lines improves. :)
4. the whole image was then saved as the above png file.

Part three might improve the lines of the station tested, but unless i redraw the entire map in psd, i see no point to this process. I am not prepared to do rework for the sake of what a handful of people say are a couple of blurry lines (which won't be examined closely anyway), The artwork in the big station alone will not be improved by this export process, and the text would have to be redone ontop of psd image again. I beleive that double exporting of an image can only reduce its quality further. I don't think this process is retaining the overall integrity of the image simply exported from CD in the first place..

I agree with tnb80, that the lines are adequate given i have made two attempts to improve them to the best.
So at this stage, i am not prepared to go through this process. Sorry guys.

If i acquire the new Coreldraw X5 (which has hinting) in the future, i would be most happy to resumbit the new files for approval and upload. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm

the one in the middle looks perfect. a million times better than any other station. whatever you did is the solution.
do them all like that.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree, that looks good.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:41 am

Version 30 Small and Large

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 am

TBS needs to be fixed. O:)

Small Vers
Large Vers

show

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:35 am

thenobodies80 wrote:TBS needs to be fixed. O:)

Already done...please Ctrl + F5 :)

I had a lock on it :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 am

Personally, I'm happy with the latest version with the exception of the red/black text in the upper right corner that looks blurry and really hurts my eyes...I was thinking: Do you really need it? I mean now we have to explain how to read a drop down box in the game?
I know you used it also with the rail africa map but people play also the previous rail maps and there's no reference there.
Anyway if you can make it less blurry I'm happy with it, if not...i say remove it! :P

show

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:22 pm

I tend to agree. I think the information is welcome, but that red effect on the text is annoying.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Personally, I'm happy with the latest version with the exception of the red/black text in the upper right corner that looks blurry and really hurts my eyes...I was thinking: Do you really need it? I mean now we have to explain how to read a drop down box in the game?
I know you used it also with the rail africa map but people play also the previous rail maps and there's no reference there.
Anyway if you can make it less blurry I'm happy with it, if not...i say remove it! :P

ender516 wrote:I tend to agree. I think the information is welcome, but that red effect on the text is annoying.

guys, thanks for that. please f5 to see the change on the maps above....same colour as the text above it.
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

That looks much clearer.

Postby DiM on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:52 pm

the current version looks NOTHING like what was shown here:

why are all the stations blurry when you showed us you can make them crisp and sharp?

here are the images side by side:

clean sharp station in the middle .................... current blurry version
Image Image
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Attachments
Rail_Asia_Final_6.xml
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:57 pm

ender516 wrote:That looks much clearer.

Thanks ender516
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 am

Some of them are still blurry. Upon a closer examination, I discovered that you are using a 1px line which when you put it on the light background shows the bleeding sort to speak. Which creates a 2px line with 1px being faded which is making the lines look blurry. I hope I made sense?
Whatever you did to make these vertical lines clean and crisp is what you need to do to all the lines, both vertical and horizontal. You will also notice that your 1px lines actually ended up being 2px lines in this shot.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 am

He can't do that....not using coreldraw....why it's so hard to understand? :?
Anyway....since it seems now we play this game with a magnifier....I was asked to bin this map by the mapmaker.

[Moved]

As said to cairnswk, I'll move the rest later...as soon as I have the time to do it properly.

Nobodies

show

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 am

thenobodies80 wrote:He can't do that....not using coreldraw....why it's so hard to understand? :?

HE already made a clean sharp station. entirely made by HIM. so HE can do it. :roll:
Major DiM

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

Gentlemen
I have made three good attemps at getting these blurry lines correct now. Why some work and others don't i simply don't know.
The third attempt was made by redrawing all the stations and text in another program on the background on the grid system of Illustrator and even this came out blurry when magnified although to the naked eye they appear as good.
If you want to say "here's cairns having another tantrum" - go ahead.
But I am really tired of playing this game of magnified blurry lines that i simply do not know how to fix, therefore the map is no longer viable for your standards, and i am no longer interested in trying to fix it.
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 am

He can do it but not with coreldraw, read what I write DiM, not just part of it....Anyway I'm not here to argue with you.

Now I propose to go with a democratic system....this is a simple a direct question: who, a part DiM, thinks this map is not playable or that has a quality that is not acceptable?

Pro:
thenobodies80
Gillian
Ender516

Cons:
Dim

Please let me know or I'll go using my own judgment system.
Thanks

Nobodies

show

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:He can do it but not with coreldraw,

this is BULLSHIT. he already proved that he can do it. i don't care if he uses photoshop, coreldraw, mspaint or simply farts and the crisp stations come out.
the point is he can do it so he should do it.

you want a democratic system? since when was this how the foundry works?
that means that if i call 100 people to support me i can pass anything around?

you want to use your own judgement? by all means do it but be careful what you choose.

let this slide and soon anybody will say "yea i can correct the pixelated lines but not in the software i use"
"sure i could make the borders crisp and nice instead of blurry, here's a sample, see how nice they are? but i won't do it in the final image cause i made them in photoshop not coreldraw"

PS: my laptop just crashed so i don't have photoshop available. is this a good excuse to make all my updates in paint? :roll:
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas