Conquer Club

Salem's Switch V36 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Salem's Switch (V8) (P6) Bonus Nomenclature Discussion

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:10 am

Just a few graphic chagnes while waiting for Sully's analysis from above...
Changes include:
1. Natty's request for red on the judges etc.
2. reworking of some aspects in the legend
3. addition of some army circles so i can starting writing the xml to see how this is all going to look.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Salem's Switch [18.8.11] V8-P6 Bonus Nomenclature Discus

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:18 am

I have one idea... how about making the Accusers & Accused into sort of resource pairs? Ie. each pair of Accuser + Accused gives a bonus... not sure how the dates would play into it, though. Maybe they pairs need to be on the same date... if you can make the dates for both groups match.

Also, more on the colours... Nice that you added the red, it complements the other colours well. The water colour could be made either lighter or darker, to stand out better from the land...

Oh and I'm on the map now? Awesome :mrgreen:
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 am

natty_dread wrote:I have one idea... how about making the Accusers & Accused into sort of resource pairs? Ie. each pair of Accuser + Accused gives a bonus... not sure how the dates would play into it, though. Maybe they pairs need to be on the same date... if you can make the dates for both groups match.

Also, more on the colours... Nice that you added the red, it complements the other colours well. The water colour could be made either lighter or darker, to stand out better from the land...

Oh and I'm on the map now? Awesome :mrgreen:

Hehe, you've been on there since last version. :)

I'll have to think on your proposal, but yes the sea colour could probably change.

I'm also wondering if I should apply for supersize for this...to allow extra space for the land territories in particular where some of the those territories are very squashed. I don't really want to lose any of them otherwise you lose the essence of the names of history.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 am

Supersize would probably be a good idea.

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:32 pm

On the supersize, can you post the large as it stands now please. I would to get an idea on space for it. The small will have to be supersized a bit, but the large we may not need to go as big as you have requested.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

isaiah40 wrote:On the supersize, can you post the large as it stands now please. I would to get an idea on space for it. The small will have to be supersized a bit, but the large we may not need to go as big as you have requested.

Ah, i don't have a large at present except for if i scale the small image up. I wasn't going to do the large until i get the small sorted out.
I understand what you say about not requiring the extra space for the large.
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:48 pm

I know you are busy, so when you can upscale the small, that'll be fine. I just want to be sure, though now that I think about it, it may need to be to keep it at a visible size difference between the two.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Salem's Switch [19.8.11] V9-P6 Bonus Nomenclature Discus

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:46 am

isaiah40 wrote:I know you are busy, so when you can upscale the small, that'll be fine. I just want to be sure, though now that I think about it, it may need to be to keep it at a visible size difference between the two.

isaiah40...here are the supersized versions. The large is 10% scaled up on the small. Please forgive if the graphics are a little shoddy as this is all vector stuff which had to be re-arranged somewhat.

Small V9 - 730 x 600
Click image to enlarge.

Large V9 - 804 x 661
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 am

Those sizes look pretty good... although you could still go to 840 with the large one while staying within regular sizes... there'd be more of a size difference.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 am

natty_dread wrote:Those sizes look pretty good... although you could still go to 840 with the large one while staying within regular sizes... there'd be more of a size difference.

You think so?
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:59 am

cairnswk wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Those sizes look pretty good... although you could still go to 840 with the large one while staying within regular sizes... there'd be more of a size difference.

You think so?

Well, a 33% difference is recommended from small to large. Even though 9% is the minimum, I've always figured it's best to have at least a 25% difference - if the sizes are too close together, there's not much point in having large and small versions...

840 would be about 15% larger than 730... it's still not a huge difference, but I think it would be appropriate... at least better than 10%.

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:22 pm

840 would be about 15% larger than 730... it's still not a huge difference, but I think it would be appropriate... at least better than 10%.

Yes both look good, if you make the large the standard 840x800 (or whatever this comes out to) then we can have a little more wiggle room on the small if need be. The only place on the small I see a problem with for the 888's and the name, is Rebecca Nurse. I think the number place holder and the name can be switched around with no problem. So for now (Sully don't wait for the image please) I give thee the Witches Invisible Supersize Approved Stamp!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:46 pm

isaiah40 wrote:...
....So for now (Sully don't wait for the image please) I give thee the Witches Invisible Supersize Approved Stamp!!

Thank you. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:56 pm

I swear, he's using black magic! That soul is damned to Hell for profaning God in such a vile manner!
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Nola_Lifer on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Would be interesting to have a conditional win on this one. The bonus with the white on white is hard to read. I like the map but I still don't dig on the colors all that much.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Would be interesting to have a conditional win on this one. The bonus with the white on white is hard to read. I like the map but I still don't dig on the colors all that much.

Suggestions for your colours? Nola_lifer...
and what would you have as the conditional win?
I'll fix that white on white.
Private cairnswk

Re: Salem's Switch [19.8.11] V9-P8 Bonus Nomenclature Discus

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I swear, he's using black magic! That soul is damned to Hell for profaning God in such a vile manner!

Ooooo TaCktiX, that one's straight over the top of my head :?:
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:20 am

It was a double jab at isaiah's invisible stamps and your map theme. Sorry if I'm having TOO much fun. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:29 am

TaCktiX wrote:It was a double jab at isaiah's invisible stamps and your map theme. Sorry if I'm having TOO much fun. ;)

Witch! There will be no having of this "fun" in this thread! Hang him! Hang him high!

On a side note, the town meeting halls are out of tea leaves, and I will prepare my full list of comments shortly.

-Rev. Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Guys, your fun is most welcome to lighten the mood that became somewhat heavy shortly ago.
I laugh loudly with you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:...the town meeting halls are out of tea leaves...
-Rev. Sully

But Reverend, the Lord can provide !
Surely the shavings from Dodge Grist's Mill can be used if they are smoked :idea:
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 am

Oh, villagers, followers of the one true God and this thread, He hath bestowed upon thy humble reverend His analytical powers in this trying time of witchery and deceit. Be at peace, young ones, as I sayeth mine thoughts...

• Thy Bonuses!
    • I'm not really sure how you determined the bonuses, but with this layout, a good rule of thumb is +1 per territory, given that they are spread out. I do like the idea that natty proposed with the 'resource pair' concept between the accusers and accused. For the Gossip, I think it could stand to be altered a bit. First, the town meeting places bonus should be nixed since it's apart of the Gossip bonus already. Second, I think you should do the Gossip bonus like a +X per Y with a town meeting place, such as, +2 per 5 villagers, or something of the like. As for the Landowners bonus, you could probably leave it as is, but it may need some tweaking for 1v1s and 3-player games where one might drop 7 or more Landowners.
  • Thy Clarity!
    • There are a lot of things that need to be clarified, or be made more clear. First, the hanged. I assume the hanged are those outlined in blue, but it's not clear. Second, you don't define "villagers", so I'm not sure if you mean the Landowners or everyone or whoever. Third, are the roads impassable? One would assume, but it doesn't specifically say. Fourth, the colors are all very similar, making it a tad difficult to distinguish regions at a glance. Perhaps different army circles could help distinguish accuser from accused from reverend from judge from well, you get the idea? Fifth, Dr W Grigg has a color all his own that's not explained in the legend. Sixth, "All of Witch Hill, Prison, Judges, & Any Hanged" is hard to read with its colors, and "All of" seems unnecessary and just confuses me. Seventh, is Witch Hill a Judge? Seems a bit odd to me. Eighth, the word 'assaults' should not be used like that in the "Gossip" portion of the legend, given its association to attacking other territories in the CC context. Ninth, I noticed there's a "Judge Crowin" and a "Jonothan Corwin" - is that correct? I thought given that their last names are so close, they maybe were supposed to be the same. Tenth, the "Buggy Stops" portion of the legend should be rewritten, as it's a bit confusing as it's written. I suggest something like this:
      • "Killer neutral Buggy Stops can be assaulted by adjacent regions and can assault adjacent regions and adjacent Buggy Stops via the roadways."
  • Thy Graphical Nitpicks!
    • First, the names of the reverends are hard to read, given the color of the region and text. Second, J. Trask, C. Blake, J. Raymont, Lot Conant, Sarah Cloyce and Reverends J. Higginson are all bolded for some reason. Third, Old Planter Farms isn't condensed and isn't as bright a white as the others. Fourth, Judge Crowin doesn't have a drop shadow.
Now let us bow our heads in prayer.

"Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
          Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
          Give us this day our daily bread.
          And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
          And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."
Now let us rise for communion and discussion.

-Rev. Sully
Last edited by Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:59 am

Thanks Sully for that sermon. I thought you had brought along Sister Janet Mead to the revival. :lol:

Current version 9
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 am

Do not thank me, good servant of Christ. Thank Him, for He hath spoken through His humble reverend! I am but the vocal chords through which he speaketh.

-Rev. Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 am

Firstly... this should get a draft stamp.

Some ideas then...

I think the map could use some easy bonuses. Most of the bonuses on the map are spread around, making them hard to defend... there's no small, easily defended bonuses that are valuable in the early game.

The 29 feb accuser bonus, for example, is 5 territories all spread around, and only gives you +2. Maybe you could convert it to a collectible bonus that would give +1 for each 2 or something? And maybe merge it with the 5 mar accuser bonus, since there's no corresponding accused to it...

Also.. were the roads impassables?

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas