Salem's Switch V36 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Salem's Switch [3.2.12] V30-P26 XML

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Gilligan wrote:My eyes started to see things after staring at it.

My eyes see things all the time :lol:

Anyway, for the xml check, can you please post a version that has all the intended starting neutrals, and starting positions if any? Not from the xml, but those intended by the mapmaker.

While i appreciate Gilligan did that, i think if you check the first page you'll find one there also :idea:
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:06 pm

cairnswk wrote:While i appreciate Gilligan did that, i think if you check the first page you'll find one there also :idea:

For now, I'm asking all mapmakers / xml writers to post an image with neutrals/start positions just to be sure to have the latest version. In the future, these will be required to be posted in the xml checks thread along with the xml & map images.

This is to ensure the XML will be properly checked and no mistakes such as people starting with bonuses will slip through, so your co-operation will be appreciated. Thanks.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:29 pm

natty_dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:While i appreciate Gilligan did that, i think if you check the first page you'll find one there also :idea:

For now, I'm asking all mapmakers / xml writers to post an image with neutrals/start positions just to be sure to have the latest version. In the future, these will be required to be posted in the xml checks thread along with the xml & map images.

This is to ensure the XML will be properly checked and no mistakes such as people starting with bonuses will slip through, so your co-operation will be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, i didn't realise you were the new xml CA. :lol:
or hasn't this been announced yet?
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:41 pm

I've been checking XML:s for a couple of months now :-s

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:I've been checking XML:s for a couple of months now :-s

So as far as i am concerned just because you are checking xmls behind the scenes, and if there has been no official announcement of you being the new xml CA, then i don't think you have any right to either request or demand anything of the sort to be done, since to my perception, you are only still a mapmaker. I'm sorry natty, but come down off that high horse of yours otherwise we will continue to clash severely...you are not the law around here...yet!
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:07 pm

cairnswk wrote:So as far as i am concerned just because you are checking xmls behind the scenes, and if there has been no official announcement of you being the new xml CA, then i don't think you have any right to either request or demand anything of the sort to be done, since to my perception, you are only still a mapmaker. I'm sorry natty, but come down off that high horse of yours otherwise we will continue to clash severely...you are not the law around here...yet!

I'm sorry you feel that way cairnswk, perhaps you'd like for someone else to check your XML:s? I can ask if that can be arranged, I'm sure someone else will get to it eventually...

I'm sorry you feel that I'm on a "high horse", but when I request an image with neutrals from you, it's done for your benefit, not to spite you. If you have a problem with it, or if my word is not good enough for you, you can take it up with thenobodies80.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:19 pm

natty_dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:So as far as i am concerned just because you are checking xmls behind the scenes, and if there has been no official announcement of you being the new xml CA, then i don't think you have any right to either request or demand anything of the sort to be done, since to my perception, you are only still a mapmaker. I'm sorry natty, but come down off that high horse of yours otherwise we will continue to clash severely...you are not the law around here...yet!

I'm sorry you feel that way cairnswk, perhaps you'd like for someone else to check your XML:s? I can ask if that can be arranged, I'm sure someone else will get to it eventually...

I'm sorry you feel that I'm on a "high horse", but when I request an image with neutrals from you, it's done for your benefit, not to spite you. If you have a problem with it, or if my word is not good enough for you, you can take it up with thenobodies80.

natty, i have no problems providing you with an image or anyone else on my team providing you with an image if it is done is a manner that appears as a simple request and not something in the somewhat "demanding" vain as was put in this:

Also, i'd like to know why no announcement was made about you checking xmls, which again i have no problems with if there is a need for such to be done.
However, it appears as though, like the double standards that are/have been applied to the behind-the-scenes maps (which you are totally against because of unfair advantage and so-called eliteism, which i agree with) there is double standards occuring here because once again, the foundry has not been kept informed via an annoucement of what is going on with the CAs.
You see, i can only respect "officialdom" when it is publicly announced and not executed like the "ole boys club' behind the scenes.
I am surprised at you, for being in favour of non-double standards in one area, and yet applying double standard (intentional or not) in another. A little humility goes a long way natty.
In fact, this little tidbit from you elsewhere could very well be applied here...
rather than trying to browbeat the mapmaker into obedience.
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:53 am

My fault here since i never wrote an announcement for natty as xml checker.
For now cairnswk, I apologize for not letting you (and others foundry goers) know about it.....not trying to find an excuse, but lately my life has been a bit a mess.

I'll check my to-do list during this weekend. ;)

Nobodies

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:21 am

Quick thing... on George Jacobs Sn., is the Sn. short for Senior?

If so, isn't it usually abbreviated as Sr. ?

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:58 am

natty dread wrote:Quick thing... on George Jacobs Sn., is the Sn. short for Senior?

Yes you are correct, natty. Good pick-up. :)
Funny how you can write something one way all your life and nobody says it's wrong.
I'd always thought Sr. was the abbrevioation for Sir or Sister (as in nun)..
Oh well. Adjusted in images above.
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:53 pm

cairnswk wrote:
natty dread wrote:Quick thing... on George Jacobs Sn., is the Sn. short for Senior?

Yes you are correct, natty. Good pick-up. :)
Funny how you can write something one way all your life and nobody says it's wrong.
I'd always thought Sr. was the abbrevioation for Sir or Sister (as in nun)..
Oh well. Adjusted in images above.

You're right, Sr. can be used as the abbreviation for Sister. Similarly, Fr. for Father, and Br. for Brother. But I doubt Mr. has ever been used for Mother. :lol:

I also doubt anyone has ever needed to abbreviate Sir. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Version 30

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Question.

In the xml, you have starting positions coded, with a max. of 1 starting position per player. But since the underlying territories of the starting positions aren't coded as neutrals*, it means that after each player gets 1 starting position, the rest of the territories in the rest of the starting positions are divided among the players randomly.

Is this intentional?

* - in fact, it seems that some territories are coded as neutrals, and some territories are not...

Postby Gilligan on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:58 pm

natty dread wrote:Question.

In the xml, you have starting positions coded, with a max. of 1 starting position per player. But since the underlying territories of the starting positions aren't coded as neutrals*, it means that after each player gets 1 starting position, the rest of the territories in the rest of the starting positions are divided among the players randomly.

Is this intentional?

* - in fact, it seems that some territories are coded as neutrals, and some territories are not...

That was me screwing up - I forgot to code them as neutrals.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 200
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (31)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Here is how the rumour bonus will work.

if you hold one of the meeting houses plus (any) 5 landowners you get +2. This is non-stackable, so if you hold 10 landowners plus one the meeting houses you don't get more bonuses.

If you hold the two meeting houses plus 5 landowners you have to get +4, since this would give you 2 x two seperate continents (as above). This is also non-stackable.

If you hold both meeting houses plus more than 5 landowners, you still only get +4.

I think it should be this way because of the main component is "either of two meeting houses" and not the "plus 5 landowners" component.

If there is better wording that needs to be in place, then please let me know and i will make the adjustments.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Gilligan, can you give me a post of any/all stackable and non-stackable bonuses you have in the xml please.
I would like this so that perhaps they can be notated on the map somehow.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Just 1 Reverend and 6 Landowners and 1 Accused and 1 Accuser.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (31)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Gilligan wrote:Just 1 Reverend and 6 Landowners and 1 Accused and 1 Accuser.

Stackables?
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Stackables?

Yes. Everything else is non-stackable.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Stackables?

Yes. Everything else is non-stackable.

Thanks.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:04 pm

XMl link
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/14 ... Final6.xml

Gilligan, you have 2 seperate bonuses for gossip bonus.

1. MH + 5 LO =+2
2. other MH +5 LO = +2

I could be wrong, but don't you need some overrides here so that if a players has
1 x MH + 10 x LO they won't get +4 since there will be double the number of LOs?
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:XMl link

1. MH + 5 LO =+2
2. other MH +5 LO = +2

I could be wrong, but don't you need some overrides here so that if a players has
1 x MH + 10 x LO they won't get +4 since there will be double the number of LOs?

I don't think so. I didn't put in a bonus for Meeting House + 10 Landowners, so it's not possible for them to get it? As far as I can see, with the Meeting House bonuses, someone can only get +2 from the Old Meeting House and +2 from the Town Meeting House.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:XMl link

1. MH + 5 LO =+2
2. other MH +5 LO = +2

I don't think so. I didn't put in a bonus for Meeting House + 10 Landowners, so it's not possible for them to get it? As far as I can see, with the Meeting House bonuses, someone can only get +2 from the Old Meeting House and +2 from the Town Meeting House.

OK, we'll see how it plays out and what natty says.
I'm just re-creating some of the bonus wording so that it is clearer for players.
Image coming shortly.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Version 31.
Some clarification has been made in the bonuses.
Because there are stackable and non-stackable components of these bonuses, i think it is necessary to clarify what is what.
1. * signifies non-stackable in the main bonus title
2. this has been placed against those main bonuses that are non-stackable.
3. while it is less eloquent that perhaps the wording, the gossip bonus is also clarified (mathematically)
4. the landowners all have the same houses now, for consistency.
5. symbols of these landowners now are identified in the main legend for easier identification, and also in the gossip bonus.

I hope this works. :) The larger version will be produced once the small is sorted.

Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas