Conquer Club

Salem's Switch V36 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Salem's Switch [11.10.12] V33-P36 Quenched

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:09 pm

IcePack wrote:Clearly my name is not blue and I have no authorization or ability to quench your map, it clearly was made in jest. I have been discussing with tnb80 for a few weeks now about stamping/quenching the map(s), it was meant for him / as a joke and not aimed to confuse you or the foundry as a group.

Good luck with the quenching, and enjoy your weekend.

Yes, clearly your name is not in blue, but that doesn't mean the job cannot be allocated to you...i have seen occasions in the past where an ordinary person has done the job of a blue man, so to my thinking it is entirely possible this has happened without the knowledge of the public.
While your joke may have been meant for tnb80, it was not directly named as such and therefore in a public thread is open to interpretation by everyone.
Clearly i had no knowlege of your intention, and yes i too should have known better than to accept this.
I appreciate your good intentions, but as stated, there are other ways to go about this.
You too have a good weekend. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Salem's Switch [11.10.12] V33-P36 BETA

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Salem's Switch Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations cairnswk and Gilligan, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby IcePack on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

=D> =D> =D>

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm

First of all congratulations for your 30th map achievement! =D> =D>

I think I've already mentioned to you the medal issue, but since you all ask for being totally open. I'm officially asking for a solution to have all your other maps noted somewhere, if possible on the profile. As you know we can award just 30 medals to a user. But I can't live with the idea that a mapmaker (you or everyone else who succesfully develop a map) can't have a medal or the map noted somewhere because there's a limit that can be changed via phpBB. I did some test and I proposed to admins 3 solutions. I'm waiting for an answer, but yes, not a totally good reason to hold all the maps. So I'm going to quench all maps that can be quenched, but asking to you to be a bit patient since I'm working behind the scenes for you (and I hope many others in the future). :)

Again congrats cairnswk :)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Salem's Switch [Quenched]

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Well done cairns!!

=D>
Captain nolefan5311

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Bloody hell cairns, 30 maps now. =D> What an absolutely fantastic achievement to get. And to get it for this one, a mighty fine map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:27 am

Thank-you all, and thank-you tnb80 for the stamp. :)

Now....what about Rail Asia?

Have you thought about a medal for "Contributions Par Excellence" (over and above the 30 or even at higher level for other different contributions)

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=SXX ... 22&f=false
Private cairnswk

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow - 30 maps? That's quite the accomplishment. Kudos!
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:25 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> Congratulations on your 30th cairns!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Foreverman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Cairnswk,
I know I'm WAY behind the pack here, and maybe the suggestion has already been made, but:
Please consider changing the buggy stop "territories" so that they don't have a spoils "card" attached to them. I have played quite a few Salem's games, especially Nuke, and the spoils play a very minor role (if someone likes it that way, they can play No Spoils) when half of them are buggy stops.
Sergeant Foreverman

Postby Gilligan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 am

Foreverman wrote:Hi Cairnswk,
I know I'm WAY behind the pack here, and maybe the suggestion has already been made, but:
Please consider changing the buggy stop "territories" so that they don't have a spoils "card" attached to them. I have played quite a few Salem's games, especially Nuke, and the spoils play a very minor role (if someone likes it that way, they can play No Spoils) when half of them are buggy stops.

Cannot be done. It's coded into the site where every territory matched to a card.
Captain Gilligan

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am

Cannot be done. All territs come with cards when conquered. It is just one of the things about killer neutrals. But saying that, the only way to stop it would be to make them decay or normal territs and that would change the map in a big way.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:

Cannot be done. All territs come with cards when conquered. It is just one of the things about killer neutrals. But saying that, the only way to stop it would be to make them decay or normal territs and that would change the map in a big way.

But it still wouldn't stop them from being nuke territories koontz
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

But it still wouldn't stop them from being nuke territories koontz

I think he's getting at the fact that a decay would make the nukes more useful because a killer ones to neutral anyway.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Foreverman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Sure, conquering a buggy stop should result in a spoils card. But is there a way to make sure none of the cards represent a buggy stop, that they only contain non-buggy-stop cards?
Sergeant Foreverman

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Another solution to fix the problem is don't play nukes on this map. Not all special game plays are ideal for every map and vice versa.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Gilligan on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Foreverman wrote:Sure, conquering a buggy stop should result in a spoils card. But is there a way to make sure none of the cards represent a buggy stop, that they only contain non-buggy-stop cards?

No, not possible.
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Foreverman wrote:Sure, conquering a buggy stop should result in a spoils card. But is there a way to make sure none of the cards represent a buggy stop, that they only contain non-buggy-stop cards?

Not in the current xml engine, as i beleive it.
Private cairnswk

Postby Leehar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Is it possible to make the Buggy Stops being killer neutrals (revert to 1) a bit more visible rather than in the bottom left corner?

I know it's something me and a coupla others ended up learning the hard way (our poor 4 stack :()
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Leehar wrote:Is it possible to make the Buggy Stops being killer neutrals (revert to 1) a bit more visible rather than in the bottom left corner?

I know it's something me and a coupla others ended up learning the hard way (our poor 4 stack :()

Leehar, i think it's as visible as it's possibly going to get....at 100% opacity.
It does say killer neutral in that corner.
and killer neutrals always revert to neutral no matter how many u have so you would have lost any stack.
I think you simply slipped up, and possibly forgot it, or didn't bother to read that corner.
i can't make it more plain-as-daylight than it already is unless i put it on a big neon sign with flashing lights.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm

cairnswk wrote:i can't make it more plain-as-daylight than it already is unless i put it on a big neon sign with flashing lights.

Can we see how that looks?! :geek:
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:i can't make it more plain-as-daylight than it already is unless i put it on a big neon sign with flashing lights.

Can we see how that looks?! :geek:

:lol: :lol:
Private cairnswk

Postby Leehar on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 am

I was thinking you could do something similar to what you have in Das Schloss where it's bolded and highlighted in red

Its my first time playing the map so I admit it's probably all of the above slip-ups you mentioned, but the reality is I'm probably not the only one to have fallen into that mistake.
If it could be made more clearer all to the good, if not, I guess people can continue learning it the hard way
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Leehar wrote:I was thinking you could do something similar to what you have in Das Schloss where it's bolded and highlighted in red

Its my first time playing the map so I admit it's probably all of the above slip-ups you mentioned, but the reality is I'm probably not the only one to have fallen into that mistake.
If it could be made more clearer all to the good, if not, I guess people can continue learning it the hard way

Leehar, i don't consider reading the instructions on the map (which are very clear and have their own specific corner) to be a case of "learning the hard way", since from my experience over these last nearly 6 years (since CCC) most player simply don't bother to read the instructions on the map which we in the foundry go to great length to place there for everyone's benefit, and they certainly don't bother to visist maps while they are in production to highlight some of these so-called anomolies. :)
And if others have had a similar problem they haven't mentioned them since April when this went to BETA nor before it became quenched and there are now 1776 games on it.
IN fact we specifically changed that section to read:

Roads are impassable
except at Buggy Stop Junctions which (if held) revert to 1 neutral at the start of your turn.

I really don't think it needs changing at all, except for the players to read the instructions before they play a map. Quite simple really. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Salem's Switch V34 [Quenched]

Postby Leehar on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:03 pm

There are landowners, accused, accusers, roads, buggy stops, reverends, judges, and meeting houses; it seems feasible while figuring out all those that you'd miss out the revert to neutral as well. And this info is at all corners of the map...
I got the part about buggy-stops being the route throw the roads, but unfortunately didn't read-through it all the way through as I was quickly scanning the map, and so missed the part about reverting to neutral
(which is why I thought making it a bit bold/in contrasting color, could highlight it a bit more clearly)

I was a bit bored, so I took on your challenge of nobody mentioning the issue in the last 6 months and took a brief scan through the chat of the last half-page of games:

2013-01-19 19:59:15 - dollarsnosense: just left 11 on a reset to neutral
https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12240643

2013-01-16 14:01:27 - mint-murray: watch buggy stops they revert to nuetral
https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12225386

lost 4 to the neutral
https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12218408

2013-01-16 23:59:07 - Mad Martigan: What is this neutral player that just wiped out four of my troops?!
2013-01-17 03:40:22 - Asher413: Neutral got me too... and the dice dragged me back in.
https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12217041

2013-01-20 18:26:07 - mudfighter [team]: damn, did not see that...
2013-01-20 18:26:15 - mudfighter [team]: about the reset
2013-01-20 18:26:24 - mudfighter [team]: ok, that is the way to learn a map...
2013-01-20 19:12:19 - Leehar [team]: same :(
https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=12218405

Again, I completely understand that this is already out of beta, so it's not worth the effort to change it if it's only causing a problem for a slight few, but I just thought it was worth mentioning because even through that scan above, there were quite a few other comments that the map was too complicated so maybe this could have been something to make it a bit easier to avoid falling into a pitfall.
show
Colonel Leehar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas