AOS: Orient Express 1883 [quench'd]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AOS: Orient Express 1883 [GP,G,X] files on p.1

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think you obviously misquoted me. ;)

Objective should be hard yes, but not so hard that people won't even bother trying to use it. IMO.

I definitely agree with that, I'm inclined to say that it isn't, but I've yet to acquire the experience to verify my opinion :geek:

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think you obviously misquoted me. ;)

"by The Bison King on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:02 pm"

"Last edited by natty_dread on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total."

Need I say more?

:mrgreen: Sully :mrgreen:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Hopscotcher on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 am

This map is really really chokeable and I wonder if the rail lines should not be made less hard to get around

There are just some major blocking points.

Now I've only played a few 1 v 1 games, but it just seems like there are separate areas of contest that all get sorted out individually and it makes for some very boring game play.

The biggest example of this is the Paris/Burgundy area. feel free to completely dismiss my thoughts, but so far I only find this map aggrivating and in general, natty, I'm a fan!
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for your feedback Hops... I have to be honest with you, this map was never meant to be a good 1v1 map... It was never designed for 1v1 games (although I did add the neutrals to make the drops fair on 1v1:s.) So I would appreciate it if you would try out some multiplayer games on the map, like 4-6 player dubs for example... then if you still feel the same about the map, I'll be glad to take whatever advice you have to improve it. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Still yet to finish a game on this map, but that's a good thing. I like maps that promote long games. Really liking the flow of this one. Good flow.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Hopscotcher on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:Thanks for your feedback Hops... I have to be honest with you, this map was never meant to be a good 1v1 map... It was never designed for 1v1 games (although I did add the neutrals to make the drops fair on 1v1:s.) So I would appreciate it if you would try out some multiplayer games on the map, like 4-6 player dubs for example... then if you still feel the same about the map, I'll be glad to take whatever advice you have to improve it. ;)

Wow you give me a lot of power! :lol: anyway, I'm playing some dubs on it now. :D
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Well if your advice totally sucks I might just ignore it :lol:

But I'll promise to at least hear you out.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

this is a solid map man.. there are a few adjustments I would do, but i think its fine and your vision with this is solid. Playing it in several games atm. I like it.; I wish the rails played a bigger part than they do but all in all Im not sure how you could do this easily.

After 6000 games man... and having crossmaped all most all of them.. I put it this way

1)Cairns
2) NAtty Dreadlock
3) Industrial /oaktown

I cant decide #3....

anyway...thanx for the map, it is one I would love to have blown up on a posterboard scale and play with my friends in real life.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:11 am

I like hearing that :)

As for the rails, I've been considering making the objective easier: something like "hold both termini + any 5 orient express stations" instead of all of them like now... do you think this would work out?

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

yes! ... that would really place more role in the rails...

maybe a multiplier bonus if you own more than one monopoly?

at any rate man, I like this map a lot. I need to get some doubles in it. Right now we are just quading it. and all quad games are similar in CC, and that is "screw the bonus, kill someone on the other team"
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Then, before I post the next version, I need to know, do I need to change the "Age of Steam" name?

I sent pm to mrbenn about this but never got a response.

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I like the age of steam... It might actually be an "age" map that I dont suck at.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Yes but there might be copyright problems... turns out there's a railroad themed board game named Age of Steam... I didn't know this until this map was already in beta :/

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, if you have to change it, perhaps Steam Age would work (but you better Google that too).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm

swap it and call it "Steam Age" ?

lol ... I dunno. Now that I think of it there is a game called age of steam. but since there was an actual "Age of steam" I do not think anyone can stop you from using it. It would be like making a game called "Industrial Revolution" and then everyone not being able to use that name.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I don't think your argument will hold up, aon. The fact that monopolies exist in the real business world does not give me the right to create a real estate trading game and market it under the name "Monopoly".
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby honsberger on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:34 am

Hey, currently playing this map and enjoying it thoroughly. I like that it does have some defensible points so that multiple players can get territories and duke it out over a longer period with more troops. Also the objective is properly difficult but doable. Well done
Sergeant honsberger

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:03 pm

ender516 wrote:I don't think your argument will hold up, aon. The fact that monopolies exist in the real business world does not give me the right to create a real estate trading game and market it under the name "Monopoly".

A monopoly is a made up term in harvard business school. It is also probably THE most trademarked game in the history of games unless there is some sort of barbie game. Probably a different set of circumstances... But hell im not a lawyer.

gl with it.

edit1
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2363/orient-express
edit2
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/847/feudal
edit 3
http://www.giantbomb.com/dustbowl/95-56/

edit 4
I could show you 15 more examples why your argument that natty should change the name doesnt hold water, at least to me.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Well, I got word from the admin that no name changes are necessary.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:01 pm

admin still needs to add "AoS:" to the beginning of the map's name...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't think it will happen.

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:32 pm

I really like the graphics on this map. How is it playing ? I have not not had a chance to play it yet.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 pm

it plays like a champ.. bottom right is pretty easy to chokepoint a bonus so far ... but I do not dislike that . Just adds a dimension.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:03 am

Ok, then how's about that reduction of the objective...

I've been thinking either:

- hold both termini + 4 orient express stations

or
- hold both termini + 5 orient express stations

So the total objective would either be 6 or 7 territories. It's currently 8. Which would be the optimal solution?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:Ok, then how's about that reduction of the objective...

I've been thinking either:

- hold both termini + 4 orient express stations

or
- hold both termini + 5 orient express stations

So the total objective would either be 6 or 7 territories. It's currently 8. Which would be the optimal solution?

Preferably the second option.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas