AOS: Orient Express 1883 [quench'd]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AOS: Orient Express 1883 [GP,G,X] files on p.1

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think you obviously misquoted me. ;)

Objective should be hard yes, but not so hard that people won't even bother trying to use it. IMO.

I definitely agree with that, I'm inclined to say that it isn't, but I've yet to acquire the experience to verify my opinion :geek:

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:21 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think you obviously misquoted me. ;)

"by The Bison King on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:02 pm"

"Last edited by natty_dread on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total."

Need I say more?

:mrgreen: Sully :mrgreen:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Hopscotcher on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 am

This map is really really chokeable and I wonder if the rail lines should not be made less hard to get around

There are just some major blocking points.

Now I've only played a few 1 v 1 games, but it just seems like there are separate areas of contest that all get sorted out individually and it makes for some very boring game play.

The biggest example of this is the Paris/Burgundy area. feel free to completely dismiss my thoughts, but so far I only find this map aggrivating and in general, natty, I'm a fan!
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for your feedback Hops... I have to be honest with you, this map was never meant to be a good 1v1 map... It was never designed for 1v1 games (although I did add the neutrals to make the drops fair on 1v1:s.) So I would appreciate it if you would try out some multiplayer games on the map, like 4-6 player dubs for example... then if you still feel the same about the map, I'll be glad to take whatever advice you have to improve it. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Still yet to finish a game on this map, but that's a good thing. I like maps that promote long games. Really liking the flow of this one. Good flow.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Hopscotcher on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:Thanks for your feedback Hops... I have to be honest with you, this map was never meant to be a good 1v1 map... It was never designed for 1v1 games (although I did add the neutrals to make the drops fair on 1v1:s.) So I would appreciate it if you would try out some multiplayer games on the map, like 4-6 player dubs for example... then if you still feel the same about the map, I'll be glad to take whatever advice you have to improve it. ;)

Wow you give me a lot of power! :lol: anyway, I'm playing some dubs on it now. :D
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Well if your advice totally sucks I might just ignore it :lol:

But I'll promise to at least hear you out.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 pm

this is a solid map man.. there are a few adjustments I would do, but i think its fine and your vision with this is solid. Playing it in several games atm. I like it.; I wish the rails played a bigger part than they do but all in all Im not sure how you could do this easily.

After 6000 games man... and having crossmaped all most all of them.. I put it this way

1)Cairns
2) NAtty Dreadlock
3) Industrial /oaktown

I cant decide #3....

anyway...thanx for the map, it is one I would love to have blown up on a posterboard scale and play with my friends in real life.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:11 am

I like hearing that :)

As for the rails, I've been considering making the objective easier: something like "hold both termini + any 5 orient express stations" instead of all of them like now... do you think this would work out?

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

yes! ... that would really place more role in the rails...

maybe a multiplier bonus if you own more than one monopoly?

at any rate man, I like this map a lot. I need to get some doubles in it. Right now we are just quading it. and all quad games are similar in CC, and that is "screw the bonus, kill someone on the other team"
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Then, before I post the next version, I need to know, do I need to change the "Age of Steam" name?

I sent pm to mrbenn about this but never got a response.

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I like the age of steam... It might actually be an "age" map that I dont suck at.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Yes but there might be copyright problems... turns out there's a railroad themed board game named Age of Steam... I didn't know this until this map was already in beta :/

Postby ender516 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, if you have to change it, perhaps Steam Age would work (but you better Google that too).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 pm

swap it and call it "Steam Age" ?

lol ... I dunno. Now that I think of it there is a game called age of steam. but since there was an actual "Age of steam" I do not think anyone can stop you from using it. It would be like making a game called "Industrial Revolution" and then everyone not being able to use that name.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas