AOS: Orient Express 1883 [quench'd]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AOS: Orient Express 1883 [GP,G,X] files on p.1

Postby Hopscotcher on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:33 am

natty_dread wrote:So guys, can you give me some feasible solutions to your perceived problems?

About neutrals: they are sort of necessary, since I don't see any other way to guarantee fairness of drops with the rail bonuses. If the stations started regular, then what if you drop with both stations of italy for example... As for lowering the neutrals, this is something that could be considered, but again, there are fairness issues... it's already lucky for someone to drop next to the italy stations, since there's only 4 neutrals to take and it gives you a good bonus. And I don't particularly like the idea of "1 neutral territories" since they give a huge advantage in any multiplayer games with cards to whoever drops next to them.

How about lowering the Ottoman bonus? Increasing some of the others?

What if only SOME of the stations were droppable? obviously not the auto deploys, but maybe one in every country might make the map more interesting. Just a thought. looking forward to playing the update :D
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:39 am

Hopscotcher wrote:
What if only SOME of the stations were droppable? obviously not the auto deploys, but maybe one in every country might make the map more interesting. Just a thought. looking forward to playing the update :D

Don't you think this would give a significant advantage to whoever drops the stations?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:34 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Hopscotcher wrote:

Don't you think this would give a significant advantage to whoever drops the stations?

not if a significant number were drop-able making it even odds on getting one on the drops.

Might be an Idea to think about.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby Hopscotcher on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 am

natty_dread wrote:
Hopscotcher wrote:

Nah. Not if you only made SOME of them droppable.

For Instance make all the non Orient Express Stations droppable:::
Amsterdam
Bordeaux
Berlin
Belgrade
Lombardy
Reggio Calabria

SO....... Worst case scenario, somebody gets the Italy Rail bonus. They still have to get BOTH terminus to win even if they do have 5 stations.

I honestly think this would liven this map up quite a bit, but then I'm a fool for NYC :D

Also, is there a significant difference between the regular stations and the orient stations? Or is that purely for historical reference?
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby ender516 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:44 am

The Orient stations are the only ones which count toward the victory condition.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby MarshalNey on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:01 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:
natty_dread wrote:
Hopscotcher wrote:

not if a significant number were drop-able making it even odds on getting one on the drops.

Might be an Idea to think about.

Although I did win one game by holding the objective, it was more due to fog of war and poor vigilance on the part of my opponents. The objective is a mite too difficult to pursue I think to be meaningful, a bit like Lunar War. It's not completely insane (AOR maps come to mind) but it's certainly going to be a very low-percentage win strategy.

Making the non-terminus stations droppable (or some of them) would liven up the map by giving some focus back to the trains. The Land Monopolies are dominant in the early going on this map, and often in the late going as well, with the Rail Monopolies a nice supplement.

Still, this is a fun and fine-looking map. Great work (Lunar War as well).
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:10 pm

The updated xml has been forwarded to lackattack - I don;t think anything has changed yet, but let's wait and see...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:27 pm

MrBenn wrote:The updated xml has been forwarded to lackattack - I don;t think anything has changed yet, but let's wait and see...

Just the xml?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Perhaps, to ensure fairness, if you make some stations droppable, you should make them starting positions so they are passed out evenly.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm

natty_dread wrote:
MrBenn wrote:The updated xml has been forwarded to lackattack - I don;t think anything has changed yet, but let's wait and see...

Just the xml?

Nope; image files too ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:37 am

ender516 wrote:Perhaps, to ensure fairness, if you make some stations droppable, you should make them starting positions so they are passed out evenly.

No can do. I already have starting positions, namely, the territories which connect to OE stations.

MrBenn wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Just the xml?

Nope; image files too ;-)

neat ;)

Postby kengyin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 am

i quite like this map, and i think the impassables are good but that may be because i like relatively more linear play, i get really confused when theres too many borders and everywhere can bombard and assault everywhere else and stuff
Sergeant kengyin

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

The upated files have gone live
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby silent_bob on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:01 pm

It doesn't seem immediately obvious how the 'holding stations for one round' works. Is this one numbered game round or one round of turns of individual players?
Cook silent_bob

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby natty dread on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:16 pm

And here I thought there'd be some meaningful input...

The same way every other victory condition. If you hold it at the beginning of your turn you win.

Postby The Bison King on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm

natty_dread wrote:And here I thought there'd be some meaningful input...

The same way every other victory condition. If you hold it at the beginning of your turn you win.

Perhaps that means that we are all done here.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Orient Express Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations natty_dread, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:58 pm

=D> Well deserved. Congrats, natty!!!! =D>
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas