Macedonia map [Gp, Gr, X, BETA, Qnchd.]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Macedonia map

Postby iancanton on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:57 pm

kristijan_mk wrote:
iancanton wrote:this united nations map shows that macedonia's main road and railway goes directly from negotino to gevgelija, not through kavadarci. can u change gevgelija's border so it borders negotino? similarly, kicevo's only railway on the united nations map goes directly to gostivar. can u remove the mountains between kicevo and gostivar?

http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/ma ... edonia.pdf

you have old map of Macedonian municipalities :)
new one can be seen here - http://travel2macedonia.com.mk/travel-t ... government
but regardless of maps... the highway doesn't pass nor through Kavadarci nor through Negotino. Both towns are around 15 km apart, so geographically there no big reason for changing the borders. there is no big reason not to change it, to be honest :)

it certainly looks as if the railway passes through negotino, which is also very close to the route of the main highway.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... edonia.png
http://www.mkd.com.mk/regional/roadmap.htm

kristijan_mk wrote:On the other hand, I'm against removing the mountains between Gostivar and Kicevo. Basically if only one mountain exists on the map, this one would probably be the one :)

if the mountain there is so symbolic, then i agree that we ought to keep it!

kristijan, it's especially useful to have comments from macedonians like u, not only to correct mistakes, but also to help to develop the character of the map.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby kristijan_mk on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 pm

as for the road through Negotino, it's very close to the town, but it doesn't passes through it. But that is nitpicking from my side, so I'll leave to the author of the map to decide. As I said, i have nothing strong against connectiong Negotino with Gevgelija.

As for the mountain between Gostivar and Kicevo, just to be clear... there is a road there, but the road goes from 500m altitude in Gostivar to 1200 m, and back to 600 m in Kicevo. And all that in 30-40 km. And from what I've seen on the maps, if there some more difficulty to pass from one territory to other, then that is impassable on the map.
Macedonia is mountainous country, so if we follow the geography literally, there will be mountains everywhere and just one or two road between regions. I don't think that map will be much fun that way.
Major kristijan_mk

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby n.n. on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi to all !

Sorry for not posting here for some time...

Here is the latest version (also posted in first page of the topic):

Changes:
- Negotino is now bordering with Gevgelija
- Kosovo is removed from the bordering countries since it is not officialy an UN country (http://www.un.org/en/members/)

Thank you all for your comments, lets try to make this map happen !
Captain n.n.

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 am

Everything seems to check out for the next step. Enjoy your shiny new
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: Macedonia map [Gp]

Postby n.n. on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Happy as a child !

So, here we are in the Graphics workshop, according to guidelines i should prepare a small version of the map and also try the map with the numbers (troops) included - am i correct?
Is there anything else i should do?

Thanks.
Captain n.n.

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby skeletonboy on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm

The straight lines are quite hard on the eyes, can you maybe curve the corners or something?
Corporal 1st Class skeletonboy

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby n.n. on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:32 pm

Well, the lines are that way intentionally, it is the way map is originally drawn as a vector.
I could make them different in the way you are suggesting but it would break the look i was trying to achieve - kind of broken glass vector shaped look.
In my opinion it is not needed nor it would be beneficiary to maps design/look/feel to change or make the lines curved.
I AM willing to make changes to the map to make it better looking and to make it work in conquer (to be a conquer club map) but this particular request is not something i think should be done and i do not agree that it is a good thing aesthetically in this case.
It could be done though if the opinion of the many outweighs the opinion on the few (myself included).

edit: just wanted to say this - the map is completely vector shaped (and then of course exported to jpg) except the bitmap relief background which is the actual relief in the mapped region
Captain n.n.

Postby skeletonboy on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:42 pm

I disagree with you but we would have to get more opinions. Maybe do a version with curves and put up a poll?
Corporal 1st Class skeletonboy

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby n.n. on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Maybe...

Anyone else wanting a curved lines version?
Captain n.n.

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Maybe. Do a version with curved lines so we can compare!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby kristijan_mk on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:18 pm

yay! the map got its first stamp :)

I like the straight line look. It adds some uniqueness to it.
Major kristijan_mk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Some kind of subtle texture on the land area could be worth a try too. If you do it right it can be done without disrupting the clean visual style of the map.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Pandemonium on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I also vote Not to curve the lines - shattered glass effect looks perfect.
Corporal 1st Class Pandemonium

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby n.n. on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

natty_dread wrote:Maybe. Do a version with curved lines so we can compare!

Is that an order sir?
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 pm

n.n. wrote:
Is that an order sir?

Well, that depends. If it is, Will you follow it?

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

There's plenty to do! Welcome to Graphics-land :D

Why do some territories have larger, bolder text?
The outer white outline is awfully think, it could easily be thinner, and I'm not sure about the drop shadow, it really lifts the map off the surface of the rest of the image.
Never hurts to try something different, lets see come curved lines, you don't even have to do the whole thing just a bonus or 2 and we'll get the idea.
Mountains can be better, they're very angular and generic a little bit of difference will do wonders.
The river as it goes into Skopje probably doesn't have to be that long, it might cause confusion that there is another territory there.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 83
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby kristijan_mk on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:17 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:There's plenty to do! Welcome to Graphics-land :D
Why do some territories have larger, bolder text?

Those territories (towns) are major towns in those areas (in real life) and the regions are named by them.
Major kristijan_mk

Postby n.n. on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Thank you all for your remarks, i work on the map on weekends so i will try to make a couple of versions with all of your suggestions included (including those i am ordered to by Obersturmführer natty :) ) this weekend or maybe the next one at the latest.
This goes for all suggestions posted in the meantime.

Glad that the discussion is alive and kicking! :)
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 pm

Keeping natty happy is a good idea... Fat lot of good it'll do you though! ;)
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (9) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby n.n. on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi all,
here are some variations for the new version of the map (should be 1.6, when the variation is chosen), as requested in the discussion.

Changes on all versions:
- River shortened in the Skopje continent/territory
- Map background/shadow is thinner and lighter

1.6.1 Basic Variation:

1.6.2 Relief Variation:

1.6.3 Curved Borders Variation:

Guys who requested the variations (and others of course), please comment so we can choose how to proceed with the map.
Thanks.
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:16 pm

The one in the middle with the texture throughout, definitely looks best to me. Let's hear some other opinions though. :)

The outer white border is way to thick, I'd almost make that border be a slightly thicker version of the "line-dot" country borders you have separating the non-playable countries. You might not need the bevel that if that looks good.

The mountains fit with the graphical style, but they are still too uniform, Do a couple that are a bit different (a little bigger/smaller, double peaks, etc.) and have less mountains, right now you've got tons of mountains sitting right on top of each other.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't like how the river just ends abruptly in Skopje. Make it narrower in that end...

Postby kristijan_mk on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 pm

I still like the first version. Second is fine, but the colors in first are stronger. (and stronger colors are better colors :) )
I kinda like the thick border. It makes the country to look like it's slightly up.
Major kristijan_mk

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Oh and I like the 2nd version best.

Postby MrBenn on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 am

Version 1.6.2 with the texture all the way over definitely looks the best. As for straight vs curved borders, I think that judgement should be left to the mapmakers, as it's a stylistic thing.

The mountains are definitely the biggest concern for me; they're too small really - they could be a bit wider and a tiny bit taller? You don;t necessarily need to make them different sizes, but you do need to make them less linear. You also need to make the colour from the background go to the edge - check out the mountains on Wales to see what I mean:
show
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas