Conquer Club

Mongol Empire Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Is this more what people were thinking in regards to impassable borders?

Do we even need any wall? If so where?
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 pm

I think that you must put army circle in map, to see how space you got in terittory
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm working on that qwert, I want to get the continents and borders correct first.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:04 pm

I like the newest look the best. Nice mountains and I didn't like the wall, so I think it's better.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Do you think we need any impassables where the wall was before or is it ok now? I think perhapd it is OK as it is and the bonuses seem fitting now.

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:09 pm

I like the look but I'm sure of the practicality and playability of having the mountains on the green and red border extend along the entire border. One could hold the three eastern continents with only two boundaries.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:18 pm

Would opening upthe border between yugor and tian shan help this? Or perhaps kabul - himalaya.

Postby DublinDoogey on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:30 pm

I would open up the Kabul/Himalaya border, if only because it's the southernmost one, and the other route is the northernmost one. I would consider, for visual reasoning only, to place mountains on the southern border of Himalaya, because it seems proper to have lots of mountains in/near the Himalaya country.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:00 pm

The new mountains are very nice. Still I feel there should be a Great Wall in this map! I didn't mind the previous one you had but if you can make something better by all means do so.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Guiscard on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Ok update to see what people think about playability now.

Opened up the border between Kabul and the Himalayas. Does this take away the North/South or East/West problem?

Another possibility I have thought of is perhaps a trade route through the unplayable territory, a caravan route to connect the green continent to yellow.

Also added a few army shadows to see whether people think they are ok.

Postby Qwert on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:59 pm

i think its circle good.
you dont need mountain Himalaya-lasa,these is 1 country.
Make himalaya pass too kabul much open its look like close.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby DublinDoogey on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:48 pm

I actually like the close, claustrophobic feel on the border and general area of the Himalays, i think that if you down in the valleys, that'd be how you'd feel and it's always neat when you can recreate that on a map.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:10 pm

Comments anyone?

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:12 pm

open the pass abit it looks like it is closed
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:13 pm

Ok will do. Playability though???

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:15 pm

i think the yellow and orange bonus back to 4 they are 2 strong in 3 player set-up
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby glee on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm

like the mountains, but the desert could be bigger or something, it doesn't really look like a desert right now

and i miss the wall, i'd love it if you would try a 3D kind of effort on the wall, i believe you could make it as nice as the mountains :)

i don't really know what to do about the playability, haven't much expirience about setting up a map, but try to look in to the russian part of the map, it could get a bit more interesting

the army circles look good but i'd like to see how it looks when they are in a smaller country, i mean just to see how cramped it gets

keep up the good work
Major glee

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:33 pm

First, I'll talk a little about gameplay.
  • Golden Horde -- 8 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 5.
  • Tibet -- 5 Countries, 2 Borders, Bonus of 3.
  • Yuan Khanate -- 11 Countries, 5 Borders, Bonus of 7.
  • Ilkhanate -- 8 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 5.
  • Song -- 3 Countries, 2 Borders, Bonus of 2.
  • Chaghadi Khanate -- 5 Countries, 3 Borders, Bonus of 4.

------

So lets see...First off...is that a border between Himalayas and Kabul? There is a break in the mountains...but I wasn't sure if it was an oversight of placement or an actual border. Anyways, for now, I'm going to assume you didn't mean for that to be a border.

One thing I have noticed, interesting grouping of continents. What I mean is...check out Tibet and Song. Both are relatively similar. If one player can grab or force people out of that area...he most likely will keep a bonus of 5 with 2 borders. Due to the fact that the only continent touching that general area is a Wasteland Continent, a player can make a nice hold out, keeping the area in check early on, and discourage and ideas of people considering taking Yuan. One thing I might consider, adding an attack route between Yugor and Tian Shan...so that area has a more direct link to attack Tibet/Song holdouts.

On the other side of the map, Golden Horde and Ilkhanate are Copy Cat Continents (CCC). Players in either continent will most likely keep the opposite area in check. Chaghadi may become a Battle Zone Continent, for people holding that area...or perhaps a nice outpost to launch an attack into either of those CCC areas (and if you add the attack route, an outpost to launch attack to the oposite side of the board).

Those are just a few minor things, I'll have to look at grahpics and deeper gameplay layer.

One quick point on something, what is the logic behind organizing the legend the way you did? Any signifcance I am unaware of?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:01 pm

maybe make a silk road and let it attack from the left wole the way 2 the right
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:17 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:One thing I have noticed, interesting grouping of continents. What I mean is...check out Tibet and Song. Both are relatively similar. If one player can grab or force people out of that area...he most likely will keep a bonus of 5 with 2 borders. Due to the fact that the only continent touching that general area is a Wasteland Continent, a player can make a nice hold out, keeping the area in check early on, and discourage and ideas of people considering taking Yuan. One thing I might consider, adding an attack route between Yugor and Tian Shan...so that area has a more direct link to attack Tibet/Song holdouts.

On the other side of the map, Golden Horde and Ilkhanate are Copy Cat Continents (CCC). Players in either continent will most likely keep the opposite area in check. Chaghadi may become a Battle Zone Continent, for people holding that area...or perhaps a nice outpost to launch an attack into either of those CCC areas (and if you add the attack route, an outpost to launch attack to the oposite side of the board). [/list]
--Andy

Exactly! So, my suggestion would be a different contis scheme:
Create a new one with the following territories: White Horde, Yenisay, Naimans, Kurkis, Bargu and Karakorum.
Block Himalayas to kabul, open Tian Shan to Yugor and Idiqut.
Merge Tïbet and Song.
Add again some Great Wall, but we need then look for a good place to it.
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:39 pm

I dont like the warped font.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Exactly! So, my suggestion would be a different contis scheme:
Create a new one with the following territories: White Horde, Yenisay, Naimans, Kurkis, Bargu and Karakorum.
Block Himalayas to kabul, open Tian Shan to Yugor and Idiqut.
Merge Tïbet and Song.
Add again some Great Wall, but we need then look for a good place to it.

Sounds like a good idea actually. I might implement this in the next update. The only problem is that it departs completely from historical fact.

If at all possible I'd rather consider options such as an attack route accross the bottom of the map which goes through the unplayable area.
Last edited by Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:20 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:So lets see...First off...is that a border between Himalayas and Kabul? There is a break in the mountains...but I wasn't sure if it was an oversight of placement or an actual border. Anyways, for now, I'm going to assume you didn't mean for that to be a border.

Also, currently that is an open border Andy. I'll make it wider with the enxt update as a couple people seem a bit confused.

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:22 pm

Ah, alright. Definitely make that larger than. That effects things a little more.

I would like to say though...I do enjoy historical accuracy, and I implore you to strive for that as much as you can. Perhaps we can find a nice balance scheme that is both playable and accurate.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Guiscard on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Would linking the Himalayas or Lhasa with Kirman or Smakand do anything to help?

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas