Northwest Passage [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Northwest Passage [Jan 6]

Postby MarshalNey on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 am

It should be in the next bulletin.
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 am

If there are no objections within the next two days, this map will be promoted.
Captain MarshalNey

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

I do not think I have any issues with the game play. For the most part, I like this map.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby MarshalNey on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

Seeing no further comments, I hereby present this map with a long overdue stamp.

Congratulations shakeycat on the fine work and patience =D>

Hopefully this one has a glowing tenure in graphics, I'm anxious to see how to it plays :D

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby shakeycat on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Woohoo! Thanks Marshal Ney.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Sergeant 1st Class shakeycat

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (6) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:14 pm

=D> =D> =D> Congrats shakey! =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Okay so I gave this a glance over (will look at it at little closer later), and just a couple of things pop out at me. I don't know if it is my monitor so I'll mention them anyways. The legend area is a little hard to read, if you either lighten them or use a lighter color that would likely do the the trick. I believe it is the Parry Route in the bonuses, I'm having a hard time reading that as well. Maybe use a contrasting outer glow for it?

Like I said these couple of things could just be my monitor, so if anyone else can let us know that would be great! Looking forward to your next update. :)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: Northwest Passage [Feb 11]

Postby shakeycat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks Isaiah.

Does this help?

Click image to enlarge.

Brightened all the names in the minimap, though they still have a little colour. If one is worse than the others, I can brighten it more.

Does a patch like that behind the four expedition bonuses look funny? Does it help? The problem here is that the other three stand out better on white, while Parry would need black. It looks off when three are white and one is black, for me. If it's same degree of bad or worse, I can try something else.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Yes much better. I don't have a problem with the subdued white under the legend.

Looking at his closer, I think you can do away with the army circles with the exception of course those denoting each route. Where you have "In addition, you earn +1 ..." can you lower it down by a couple of pixels. The +1 is blending in with that new white area making it a tad bit hard to see. Also where you have the impassables listed, lower the ice and tundra down underneath the words. This will make them easier to see. You have plenty of room to move them.

On another note, I have an idea. Can you make the ice on the land solid and then for the ice on the water do something like this:

You can extend the ice out into the water a little more in a few places as well. I'm thinking that it would work quit well here.

Can you also do a small map with the 888's please.

I look forward to seeing your next update soon!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 am

I prefer the ice as it is, in terms of uniformity and transparency. Making it look different over land and water will just add unnecessary visual details which would add no information and would not fit well stylistically. As far as its extent, I would only change it if it makes a boundary clearer, and I don't see anyplace where that is needed.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:29 am

Like I said, it is just an idea that won't hold it up on this end IMO.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby shakeycat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Before Ender's post, I did try a bit of a different style with the ice, see Melville and Baffin Islands:

Click image to enlarge.

I might've missed his point completely. I went and looked at antarctica, and while I sort of got the idea .. meh.

It's more detailed as it hugs the coastline, then has a meaningless chunk of sea ice fading off into the sea underneath. But the toothpaste style on the rest of the map might be clearer as to what is and isn't passable.

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Hmmm .. maybe that idea doesn't work so well. Thanks for trying! :) Two last items. Can you move the ice and tundra pics in the legend down underneath the words? Lastly, can you do your small map and post here with the 888's.

When you get these done, I'll see about getting that sticky for you!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Now that my attention has been drawn to Baffin Island:
  • It seems odd to have a troop number on top of an impassable: see Clyde River and to a lesser extent, Bylot Island
  • Is that tundra between Clyde River and Pangnirtung? The use of a special texture for the tundra regions is not entirely obvious when it is applied to different colours. It might be clearer simply to close off the gap with ice. (Is there other tundra apart from the vast expanse north of Baker Lake?)

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am

This is my first yime looking at this map in a while, but the first thing that springs to mind is that its too dark overall.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: Northwest Passage [Feb 21]

Postby shakeycat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 am

It feels messy, right in the middle. Things have shifted slightly from positions on Large. The difference between land and water text comes in handy.

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 am

This looks good to me. Can you post your vischeck versions just so we can make sure please. Then if no other major concerns we can get this moved on. ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby shakeycat on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Hopefully these are clear enough to show the differences in region colours.

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't really see any potential problems, but maybe someone can pipe in on it.

Oh by the way if no one has any concerns with this map I'll stamp it in a couple of days.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:39 pm

Since there are no other concerns, I do hereby stamp this approved!

Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 am

isaiah40 wrote:Since there are no other concerns, I do hereby stamp this approved!

Huzzah! Three cheers and a tiger!

Postby shakeycat on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 am

Thanks! :)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:17 pm

ender516 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Since there are no other concerns, I do hereby stamp this approved!

Huzzah! Three cheers and a tiger!

A TIGER?!?!? RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!! I mean, congrats...heh...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:57 am

Ho my god, If I knew that before I could include it in JULES VERNE CONTEST. But I'm not sure it will be beta when the tourney will start....

You should also know about MapMaker killer when your map become beta : http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470
Private 1st Class DJENRE

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (5)

Postby shakeycat on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks, it'll be a bit longer yet. I'm working on the XML and need to fine tune the graphics still.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas