Conquer Club

San Francisco [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Wisse on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:48 pm

oaktown wrote:i like it. Still having trouble with the water - it's so flat, it ruins the 3D landscape. There has to be some way of adding some perspective to the bay to give it the illusion of depth.

Location of the Fisherman's Wharf army circle could be confused for Pac Heights or Fin. Dist... not by anyone who's paying attention, but it's an easy fix and so probably worth moving up a bit..

Now that you've removed the Alameda ferry connection, how am I going to get to Giants games?

if you are using photoshop, can you try a drop shadow?
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:41 pm

johloh wrote:
Now that you've removed the Alameda ferry connection, how am I going to get to Giants games?

go watch the As or something. youre probably just bitter that we got Zito now...woot!

Bitter? You bet I'm bitter. Most A's fans are, but not because of Zito. Fremont my ass.

Oakland A's: zero splash hits, four world championships.
Captain oaktown

Postby johloh on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:07 pm

-cleared pixel between protrero hill and hunters point
-changed continent colors around
-raised fishermans wharf text and army shadow
-darkened water so it doesnt stand out as much...

opinions?
Major johloh

Postby btownmeggy on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:15 pm

The water on the previous version looked better to me. Regardless, I don't like this one. I don't like any of the fonts. They're very plain and unattractive, though I do appreciate the effort for legibility that most people disregard in early versions of maps.

Also, though I realize the impassable borders are somewhat thicker than the passable ones, they just aren't distinguished enough for easy viewing. Maybe make them a different color or a different texture or... I don't know.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby Captain Crash on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Not being from SF, the only 2 things I know about the place are the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz; neither of which are marked on the map. :shock:

Is it possible to include at least one of these as a marked feature?

Maybe the bridge could be a territory within the two regions it connects, such as happens with the space stations of the space map?
Control of access/movement is a significant strategic advantage of course.

I like the look and feel, i.e. colors, shades fonts etc.

Cheers

8)
Private Captain Crash

Postby johloh on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:31 pm

Also, though I realize the impassable borders are somewhat thicker than the passable ones, they just aren't distinguished enough for easy viewing. Maybe make them a different color or a different texture or... I don't know.

there arent impassible borders, the thicker ones are just continent borders.
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:33 pm

Not being from SF, the only 2 things I know about the place are the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz; neither of which are marked on the map. Shocked

had both at one point or another in the process. the golden gate bridge is between marin headlands and the presidio. i had it as a territory but didnt like it too much.

Alcatraz is the little red island next to the F in fishermans wharf, i could enlarge it and make it a territory, the idea has been thrown around...
Major johloh

Postby btownmeggy on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:43 pm

johloh wrote:

there arent impassible borders, the thicker ones are just continent borders.

Hmm, I didn't realize at all then.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 am

i think this would be a GREAT1 map to play, it would be realy fun to play
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby johloh on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:40 pm

im not getting a lot of feedback on this really...somebody blast me and tell me its terrible or something.

or atleast give me ideas of other things to update, i cant work on it because there is nothing else to change!
Major johloh

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Not keen on the thick borders between conts, and also I think you can make much more of the title. Also would be good to see alcatraz and the Golden gate bridge.

Might be nice to have a bonus for holding the bridge, and also (not 100% serious) but if you make Alcatraz one way inwards (if you get me) so you can only attack it and hold it, not attack out from it. That might be a fun idea.

Just ideas, though
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Bad Speler on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

ok, the first thing that jumps to mind is the borders seem bright. The ones in Marin seem fine but the rest are bright and hurts my eyes. Also, I like the angle on this map, something different then a straight top down view for a change
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby btownmeggy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:27 pm

johloh wrote:im not getting a lot of feedback on this really...somebody blast me and tell me its terrible or something.

or atleast give me ideas of other things to update, i cant work on it because there is nothing else to change!

FONTS! As I said, they're ugly. Really.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:30 pm

The whole thing looks a bit uninspired to be honest. For a map that is 3D it looks kind of flat if you get what I mean. Try some different effects with fonts, legend and title for a start.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby btownmeggy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:38 pm

KEYOGI wrote:The whole thing looks a bit uninspired to be honest. For a map that is 3D it looks kind of flat if you get what I mean. Try some different effects with fonts, legend and title for a start.

I agree. I actually think the borders and playability are quite good. The creator managed a good mix of continents without the use of impassables that most people fall back on, but the look is more or less unappealing to me. The colors and fonts just don't do it for me.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby johloh on Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:08 am

ok...thanks for the input! i need it!

-new fonts, maybe try for a more 3d look (countries, legend, title)
-try new colors (for continents)
-add in golden gate bridge / alcatraz
-unthicken borders to make them all the same skinnier one
Major johloh

Postby EvilOtto on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:21 pm

What about an false scale, international orange drawing of the golden gate bridge? Maybe some other pieces of artwork to decorate the map? (a boat/dolphin in the water, buildings in downtown, hippy beggers in the haight, AT-AT cranes in oakland, etc.).

I like the basic satellite approach, but that doesn't mean you can't add some "tourist map" features. This map could be more friendly to players that don't know the area (I'm okay with the colors, but marin/richmond colors are hard to tell apart if you don't know which is which).

Or are there ways you could push the "satellite" quality? What if the ocean had a grid of lat/longitude lines? Or if the title/names/borders had more of a military-satellite-being-used-to-track-troop-movements feel to it? I guess I'm saying pick more of a theme and push it in that direction (tourist map or spy satellite or something else).

What if you used a double line instead of a thick line for continent borders? Dotted lines? Colored lines? Just brain storming...
Lieutenant EvilOtto

Postby oaktown on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:12 pm

EvilOtto wrote:Or are there ways you could push the "satellite" quality? What if the ocean had a grid of lat/longitude lines?

This would deal with the problem of the water not having any perspective... could be a simple fix to a nagging problem.
Captain oaktown

Postby johloh on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:42 pm

-im thinking about restarting with this as the base image...as its prettier, has better mountains, includes the ocean (already looking 3d)
-its pixelated on the water because i lowered the quality to upload
what do you guys think? worth restarting?
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:45 pm

i could also try and angle that last image just right so the water matches up and just cut/paste the water into my old map
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:43 pm

well its either better, or way worse.

-removed thick continent borders
-switched colors of richmond/s.san francisco
-added in realistic water
-added 3d looking test (not sure if i like it or not)
-dashed lines over bridges

still to do...
-maybe add alcatraz/golden gate bridge
-make the key text 3d

well? well?
Major johloh

Postby Bad Speler on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:10 pm

Perhaps make the text at the tob of the map smaller than the text at the bottom of the map to add to the 3d look.
Highest Score: 2532
Highest Position: 69 (a long time ago)
Sergeant 1st Class Bad Speler

Postby Wisse on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:13 pm

the sea looks good,
and i don't like the 3d tekst
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:33 pm

I love the map - great job!

I don't like the 3D text. Maybe less obtrusive flat font would look better (to me at least)
Private RjBeals

Postby johloh on Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:35 pm

I don't like the 3D text. Maybe less obtrusive flat font would look better (to me at least)

i agree. some people asked for a more 3d look, i thought id try it. its too overwhelming, all you see is the text...
Major johloh

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas