San Francisco [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby boberz on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:47 pm

i like the idea of a satelite view and think the map could be good but i think that the map could benefit from continent bonuses and names because then it seems that a large part of the map is done and it is easier to comment on improvements.
Cadet boberz

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby johloh on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:09 pm

im going to be discontinuing this map for awhile...might come back to it in awhile. gonna let fircoal work on his bay area map and see how that goes.
Major johloh

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Guiscard on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Shame. Was looking very promising.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Map Contribution (1)

Postby Smoy on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:52 pm

looks wicked sweet, but maybe a few to many little territories? i think some of those could be re-thought
Cadet Smoy

Postby johloh on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:38 pm

alright i couldnt help myself...I enjoyed working on this map too much.

heres an update...

xml done too.

opinions?
Major johloh

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Selin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:51 pm

i liked the idea and also the map
pls continue to work on it
looks cool
Brigadier Selin

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:49 pm

came along nicely johloh... I just hope I get to forge before you! I know you've heard plenty of my comments, but here are the latest, about which others may have suggestions.

Give the map a title; right now it looks like it's called johloh. :)

Continent distinctions within the city are still not entirely clear... my crappy eyes have trouble with the color subtleties. Easy for me since I'm local, but perhaps less so for everybody else. Heavier lines help, but could be confused for unpassable boundaries.

Water looks much better, but still a bit weird. I like the subtle texture, but the lighter blur marks are too uniform.

Somebody will point out that the Alameda Naval Air Station closed years ago, and I know you already know that, so I'm pre-empting your critics and challenging them to come up with a better name for that territory. It's called Alameda Point now, which may be confusing next to Alameda. Ditto the Refineries territory, which you could lump under Point Richmond, but I think it is more clear as is.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree with the statements about the water, right now it kinda looks like it's floating on top of something... Not sure what you could do, maybe something similar to Malta where it looks like the land continues under the water? Having good water will be critical to acheiving success because of the map's unique angle. You may also want to add a horizon, with a sunset or something, to help clarify the angle.
Cadet DublinDoogey

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby johloh on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:01 pm

oh yeah i forgot to credit oaktown for the help on that version.

he helped me set up a lot of the territories in the east bay as well as the names. and gave me advice on the whole map over the last few versions....

thanks!

Having good water will be critical to acheiving success because of the map's unique angle. You may also want to add a horizon, with a sunset or something, to help clarify the angle.
i agree the water is very very critical. and im having trouble with it. you should have seen it a few tries ago. horizon, i disagree. I dont think the angle is steep enough to see a horizon....if anyone thinks they can do good 3d looking water i would def like to see someone try, i have no idea how to do it well....(i can send you the layered files)

my crappy eyes have trouble with the color subtleties
ill try and work on the colors more, its hard with the transparent nature of the coloring...
Major johloh

no love?

Postby luckiekevin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:10 pm

i like it but... but no love for the peninsula? South of SF is more intregal to the bay area than North Bay, San Pablo, ect... but way cool map
Corporal luckiekevin

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby luckiekevin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Also, I think you should use the names china town, and north beach
Corporal luckiekevin

Postby johloh on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:30 pm

but no love for the peninsula?
i heat the penninsula, im from HMB originally. but somethings gotta go, and the angles worked best with only the main part of SF showing...

Also, I think you should use the names china town, and north beach
I had them both in earlier versions, but if you look at that part of the map and try and fit in 2 more regions, its kinda messy and congested...i removed them for space...
Major johloh

Postby Kid_A on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:39 pm

this is almost exactly what i had in mind for an SF map. I can see my apartment!
Major Kid_A

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby luckiekevin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:55 pm

I see what you mean. Geographically, this portion of the bay makes for the best map. I do think you should call Potrero Hill, North Beach, as most people call it in the city. Can't wait to play this one!
Corporal luckiekevin

Postby luckiekevin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:58 pm

or should i say pacific heights
Corporal luckiekevin

Postby Marvaddin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:03 pm

10 borders! :shock: The downtown is simply unholdable!!!!
And I think I got the idea of All SF and All EB bonuses. But, they need be better explained, including that All EB is just +1, once you already receive +7 from the continents. In fact, I dont like this idea too much for this map.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby johloh on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:09 am

10 borders! The downtown is simply unholdable!!!!
youre totally right. i gotta rework some of the borders in downtown

And I think I got the idea of All SF and All EB bonuses. But, they need be better explained, including that All EB is just +1, once you already receive +7 from the continents. In fact, I dont like this idea too much for this map.
yeah i think i agree and ill remove the all east bay bonus, since the focus point of the map should be SF. will that help to make the all SF bonus clearer?

what about lowering the oakland bonus to +4 too?
Major johloh

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 am

i think you must do this:

1) your name in the left upper corner seems to important to me... make it tinyer
2) i don't like the sea it looks like its all flying
3) make the legnd a bit tinyer so it doesn't reach seaclif
4) mayby you can make a background to the legend
5) can you make it more clear what all san fransisco is? i don't know it...
6) make al borders the same thickness
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Map Contribution (1)

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:21 am

the sea is the only good part atm.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 am

johloh wrote:what about lowering the oakland bonus to +4 too?

This is a good idea.
About remove the All EB, this wouldnt make the All SF bonus clearer... you need still explain it better.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby johloh on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:53 pm

the sea is the only good part atm.
if youre going to take the time to leave comments like this atleast take the time to provide some reasons or specifics...is it the concept? the graphics? the playability? and if the answer is still everything, ok....but give me something more than just a negative comment.

id rather have a list of reasons why my map is total crap than just a comment saying "crap".
Major johloh

Postby Fircoal on Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't like this map for some reasons:

1) I'm not sure if it's good for a risk map to be satilite.

2) I don't think the map is good for playability.

3) It's the map that rivals my own of the SF BAy Area.
ImageImageVote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Captain Fircoal

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby oaktown on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm

luckiekevin wrote:I see what you mean. Geographically, this portion of the bay makes for the best map. I do think you should call Potrero Hill (sic, meant Pac Heights), North Beach, as most people call it in the city. Can't wait to play this one!

yeah, there has already been much discussion around what to call the downtown areas, as there are a dozen little neighborhoods that are just too small to represent. Chinatown, North Beach, the Marina, the Tenderloin, Japantown, Nob Hill, Fort Mason, and a handful of other 'hoods and landmarks are lumped into Pac Heights and Civic Center... the concern at this point should be more about playability and less about names, because the names will never be perfect.

and thanks for the credit, johloh, but 99.8% of the time and work has been yours. I look forward to seeing this progress further.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby luckiekevin on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:22 pm

This map is my favorite potential map... this needs to happen. The 3D effect is unique and I think will be a great addition. So what's the hold up??
Corporal luckiekevin

Postby johloh on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:30 pm

the hold up is I just started teaching high school for the first time. things are starting to calm down again though...

maybe ill try for an update this weekend
Major johloh

Next

Return to The Atlas