Greater China [Quenched] (thanks Widowmakers)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby lozzini on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:21 am

How about a differant font for each continent?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 am
Location: Closer than you may think
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:03 pm

qwert wrote:Its these problem with me?
I will put my qwestin 3 time.
qwert wrote
Hinijang terittory its out of map.

i said that id didn't understand that, what do you mean whit that?
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I hate the stripped texture and all the fonts you put to vote. I like the flag (not the title being on it) and the texture of the surrounding area.

Plus, I still think the continents are very poorly constructed: Zhejiang is the single country that is not a border country of its continent. And why dont you make a better use of huge territories like Xinjiang?


i will try other fonts, because 30% of the people said other fonts, and i think thats much enough
i must make impossible borders, i didn't make them yet so thats why they are nearly all borders,
and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;) i did already split up xizang, but i can't find any reason for the others

i don't like the most textures u mostly use (no offence), i wanted something else than an other map, some people like yours some mine ;)

and i will ry to find anather texture for the land around china
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Nobunaga wrote:Sea Routes: Your lines are too thick, in my opinion, though the color is good. A razor thin line with Neon, and a Drop Shadow would look nice, I think.

I'm not a fan of the font (the on-country names), but I could get used to it, I suppose. The block style is hard to read.

Impossible Borders: That's a tough one. You can put them where you wish, of course, and I think very few people would complain (I dropped a mountain range in western Ireland (British Isles Map) and I've heard few complaints). It would be nice to match up such borders with real-life obstacles, though this isn't always possible. China has a lot of mountains in the west, and the Gobi Desert. I suppose the Yellow River would work as well.

... Big China fan, here. Keep it up!


a drop shadow, didn't thought about it yet, thnx, and i will try to make them smaller, but what do you mean with a razor thin line? (i am dutch i don't know everything ;) )

thnx for the yellow river idea, i can make it nearly as in real-live
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:an impassable border could be the great river


can you post an image of that river i don't know wich river you mean, if i go to search i can't find it.


also i have some mountains in mind to make
and mayby the great wall
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:58 am

update:
Image
another texture for the land random china
thinned the sea routes and put a shade after it
changed the armie shades
made 2 impossible borders and a legend for the borders (didn't made the bridges over the river, you can say where i must put them)

do you like one of the 2 fonts i tryed now:
Shanxi
Hebei
i personily like Shanxi
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Wisse wrote:and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;)

Its not supposed to be the real China, with a regional government or something alike. Its supposed to be a CC map. So, yes you can split territories or join them. If you have not a good name, you can call them North Xinjiang and South Xinjiang (just an example)

The new font is better, but I think the letters are very big and you would have room problems.
Image
User avatar
Major Marvaddin
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Marvaddin wrote:
Wisse wrote:and some terretorys are big, thats china. there are lost of maintains there so not much people live there, because its to cold and high. thats why they are big i can't do much about it ;)

Its not supposed to be the real China, with a regional government or something alike. Its supposed to be a CC map. So, yes you can split territories or join them. If you have not a good name, you can call them North Xinjiang and South Xinjiang (just an example)

The new font is better, but I think the letters are very big and you would have room problems.

if i make then 1 thing tinyer they are so tiny you can't read them :S
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Countries are ok, but you could do with about 8 more, 36 is a nicer number (3, 4 & 6 go in perfectly)

The font is beautiful! keep it as is please!!! it's one of the best features to look at on the map! (maybe you could make it all one colour to stop a few people complaining) It's one of the best fonts I have seen on maps/in general and it fits perfectly.
Please don't use the stupid other ones.

one last thing, The sea routes and bridges are horrible, the need to suite the map more. personally, i hate bridges anyway, but if you must, have simpler/nicer ones, and the sea routes look horrible as one straight uncut line, i suggest taking a look at a few other maps.

That is the only real nitpick, this is a great map, and I look forward to playing it :wink:
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
Private 1st Class bedplay
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:51 pm

bedplay wrote:Countries are ok, but you could do with about 8 more, 36 is a nicer number (3, 4 & 6 go in perfectly)

The font is beautiful! keep it as is please!!! it's one of the best features to look at on the map! (maybe you could make it all one colour to stop a few people complaining) It's one of the best fonts I have seen on maps/in general and it fits perfectly.
Please don't use the stupid other ones.

one last thing, The sea routes and bridges are horrible, the need to suite the map more. personally, i hate bridges anyway, but if you must, have simpler/nicer ones, and the sea routes look horrible as one straight uncut line, i suggest taking a look at a few other maps.

That is the only real nitpick, this is a great map, and I look forward to playing it :wink:


the problem about the sea routes and bridges is i don't know how to make them better, so if you got idea's how i can mke them better say it :)
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:00 pm

maybe you could add the really famous bridges across from shaanxi to hubei and shan xi to henan
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:48 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:maybe you could add the really famous bridges across from shaanxi to hubei and shan xi to henan

i don't see the point for 2 bridges so close
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 pm

Image

for the sea route, I have just bent it (In my opinion a MUST) and used the "oil-->textured brush" as the brush for the line (in fireworks) i think i could have dont the top line a little better with an s type bend in it though, but you get the idea.

for the bridges, the ends need to be a bit more blurred into the other colour (not just a flat edge) and I think they need to be thinner. (fat short bridges don't look good in my opinion.
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
Private 1st Class bedplay
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:50 pm

how do you make them rounded? i can't find it,
and i will imporver the bridges
thnx :)
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Wisse. Didn't realise you were doing a new map as I was a bit busy in the past days. Anyway I am going to give you some feedback but I didn't have time to read the thread so ignore my comments where the issues have already been addressed before.

1. It's IMPASSABLE borders not impossible ;)
2. The fonts in the legend are great but I have problems reading the fonts on the map. You seem to have put a choice, but I actually prefer the ones I cannot read properly. Maybe if you style them a bit they are the best choice. (Xinjiang type)
3. I am still not convinced with the sea routes. Maybe you could try a curvy dotted line?
4. The bridges are a bit ugly. Look into better graphics that create a 3D effect.
5. Try to make the Great Wall of China look more like a wall than an ordinary impassable border.
6. I like the texture of the sea and the flag!

That's all about the visual aspect for now. Keep up the good work! ;)
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Lone.prophet on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:24 pm

the new bridge looks nice though the ends need to be cleaned up
Image
Captain Lone.prophet
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Your basement Muahaha
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby bedplay on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm

I did them, so they are crap...

It's just ideas, wisse what gfx package you using?
I would say fireworks is best for stuff like this then photoshop...
"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it."
- General Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
Private 1st Class bedplay
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Hi Wisse. Didn't realise you were doing a new map as I was a bit busy in the past days. Anyway I am going to give you some feedback but I didn't have time to read the thread so ignore my comments where the issues have already been addressed before.

1. It's IMPASSABLE borders not impossible ;)
2. The fonts in the legend are great but I have problems reading the fonts on the map. You seem to have put a choice, but I actually prefer the ones I cannot read properly. Maybe if you style them a bit they are the best choice. (Xinjiang type)
3. I am still not convinced with the sea routes. Maybe you could try a curvy dotted line?
4. The bridges are a bit ugly. Look into better graphics that create a 3D effect.
5. Try to make the Great Wall of China look more like a wall than an ordinary impassable border.
6. I like the texture of the sea and the flag!

That's all about the visual aspect for now. Keep up the good work! ;)


5) did it already but isn't much for an update
1) i will change it
2) bissy with it
3) bissy with it
4) bissy with it
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm

bedplay wrote:I did them, so they are crap...

It's just ideas, wisse what gfx package you using?
I would say fireworks is best for stuff like this then photoshop...


i have a mac so i don't know where you talking about,
i have tright the brigeds but it wouldn't work :S
i don't know how to do all those things
i can do much with photoshop, but i haven't got other programms
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:37 pm

You've got the best so you should be able to do everything with Photoshop. There's no need to use another program.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:39 pm

but i can't make my sea routes better (or can you tell how you did make those dottles?)
and my bridges are totaly 0,00 :S
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Qwert on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:12 pm

please explain

Image
Image
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
User avatar
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 9193
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:07 pm
Location: VOJVODINA
Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:16 pm

qwert wrote:please explain

Image


yeah i know that :P i must add a small piece to the map, i will do that in my next update, srry i didn't understand your quistion first
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Guiscard on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 pm

I really don; like the bridges. If you mean the dots I used in the Mongol map then they're just circles of a colour with outer glow and emboss.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
User avatar
Private 1st Class Guiscard
 
Posts: 4103
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: In the bar... With my head on the bar
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Wisse on Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 pm

Guiscard wrote:I really don; like the bridges. If you mean the dots I used in the Mongol map then they're just circles of a colour with outer glow and emboss.

ok i try that ;)
Image Image
User avatar
Sergeant Wisse
 
Posts: 4448
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: The netherlands, gelderland, epe
Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login