Re: Thyseneal: V 3.6 ::REVAMP::

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Fantasy Map

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:18 pm

...So did you do this map with watercolours and then scan it? That's pretty impressive...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 pm

natty_dread wrote:...So did you do this map with watercolours and then scan it? That's pretty impressive...

That is what I was going to say... Seeing something like this in " Melting Pot: Map Ideas" makes me want to give up on my stupid roulette map.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Oh, don't give up on your roulette map. Lack has promised us new XML features, so the idea of "randomly distributed bonuses" may yet be feasible some day...

Also, I've many times thought about drawing a map by hand and then scanning it... I even got a scanner, but being the lazy procrastinator I am I haven't managed to install the software for it yet...

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:28 pm

natty_dread wrote:Oh, don't give up on your roulette map. Lack has promised us new XML features, so the idea of "randomly distributed bonuses" may yet be feasible some day...

Also, I've many times thought about drawing a map by hand and then scanning it... I even got a scanner, but being the lazy procrastinator I am I haven't managed to install the software for it yet...

thanx man.. I have about 3 hours in it.. Ill draw more tonight..

back to topic.. nice looking ass map... Fill out that form and get it going.
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby The Bison King on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 pm

The hard part actually came from the fact that the map was far too large for any flat bed scanner that I had "free" access to. So I had to scan it in chunks and piece it back together.

The Idea of randomly distributed bonus sounds sweet! how exactly would that work? Would you troops due be revealed to you only at the start of you turn? That seems like hat could almost make a cool new feature.
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 pm

Which form?

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Randomly distributed bonus is something that would be cool in a roulette map, ie. you have the roulette board as territories, and each round the game picks one territory from the board that gets a bonus...

However it isn't possible yet. I'm not sure if it ever will be, but with Lack now working on new XML updates it might... however I'm not holding my breath for that one, since there are numerous other XML updates that will probably take priority (and should, because they're far more useful) such as conditional borders, conditional autodeploys and territory troop caps...

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:34 pm

The Bison King wrote:Which form?

he means design brief, you submitted that already I think..

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm

natty_dread wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Which form?

he means design brief, you submitted that already I think..

yeah the design brief... not even sure why this map isnt to stage two yet..

one thing man, I KNOW you will get hammered on (because I lurk here a ton) is a theme.

I dont think the general theme of "Fantasy" will work.

But it may.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby The Bison King on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 pm

How does stage two work? This is the first map I've made so I'm sort of figuring this all out as I go along. thanks for the heads up.

General Contribution (3)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:56 pm

I think you just sort of meet all the criticism here and then they move it up... This is actually one of the best maps ive seen in this stage, So I dont understand the hold-up....

I do think you will need some sort of theme... Some thing like "Fantasy of Dragon-land" Throw some dragons here and there in with some flame... <-- this was just one lame example.. but it is an example of a theme I think you will be asked for.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby The Bison King on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Hmm.. I'll think about that, maybe I could push this in more of a steam punk direction for the theme.

General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:46 pm

A quick explanation about the foundry process:

First you post your map draft in the melting pot (check)
then you submit a design brief (check)
If you have a clear enough design plan for the map the design brief will be approved and map will be moved to gameplay workshop
In gameplay workshop the gameplay features of the map will be worked in shape. Gameplay will be balanced. After the gameplay is satisfying your map gets moved to graphics workshop
...where graphics get hammered into shape, you will also need to make a small version of your map (which is 630x600 max.) when they are up to par your map moves to final forge...
...where you will do all final adjustments and tweaks, and write the xml for your map, and then you get the xml stamp and get to beta testing, where the map gets played by the community, any flaws that are found in beta will get fixed, then your map is ready and you get a medal.

The whole process can take anything from 6-12 months, lots and lots of editing, drawing, debating with critics and foundry mods, sweating blood...

Still interested? ;)

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:56 pm

well you have a hellova start... dont let this guy scare you.. Id love play a map that isnt europe or North america- Id love to play this map.. And this one is well ahead of the curve in my opinion.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Nah, not trying to scare anyone. Just laying out the facts... It's best that you know now what you have ahead of you. If you're up for it, all the better... but some people show up in the foundry, post one or two drafts, then disappear disappointed that their map didn't go immediately into live play... I just think it's best to let all new mapmakers-to-be know from the start that making a map is a long term commitment.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck with your project, and hope you have the guts to carry it through. Mapmaking is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun, and you will learn things in the process.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas