Re: Thyseneal: V 3.6 ::REVAMP::

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Thyseneal: V1.5

Postby MarshalNey on Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 am

Don't make all the islands neutral. I think they will be ignored as you hinted in earlier playtesting.
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby mattattam on Tue May 18, 2010 4:41 pm

The Bison King wrote: Right now only Rolloland is neutral with 3 on it. I have considered making all the Islands neutral but I didn't really like that when I played with it. Perhaps only Dalmus and Tyross could be neutral, to establish an early territorial boundary... but it might be kinda weird to have only a few Islands be neutral. Thoughts opinions?

Yeah you can solve Dalmus being an island in graphics...

Okay I have 3 thoughts on gameplay. First off I don't think Rolland should be neutral. I don't think it will be a very sought after territory since it is a part of Ifnal.

I have an idea for the Rollaland territory. What if you make Rollaland a bonus by itself. Say a +1 Auto Deploy bonus. You can have it start 4 neutral, and I also recommend making Central Caprinthia touch Rollaland so 5 territories will be able to access it instead of four. 4 neutral won't make it too easy to capture but still an viable option in the game. If it's a 1v1 game someone will start with +8 and they can try to take it but the next person can most likely take it back. Anything over a 2 person game will start with 5 or less so it will be more difficult to take but perhaps when they cash spoils they could go for it. Are you testing your map versions with multiple players and gametypes?

I think Dalmus should start 3 neutral as well. This makes it harder to take the +1 bonus of Chunjaris - Theraland which is easy to defend once you have it. Also it would be harder to get the +3 island bonus for 3 held. Making Dalmus neutral would eliminate much of the luck factor from a drop on this map.

I don't think Tyros should be neutral. 1 island neutral is enough.

Summary: Make Rollaland it's own bonus of +1 autodeploy. Start it 4 neutral and make Central Caprinthia border Rollaland. If don't do this suggestion no need to have Rolland neutral. Make Dalmus 3 neutral. Don't have Tyros be neutral.
Major mattattam

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Make Rollaland it's own bonus of +1 autodeploy. Start it 4 neutral and make Central Caprinthia border Rollaland. If don't do this suggestion no need to have Rolland neutral. Make Dalmus 3 neutral. Don't have Tyros be neutral.

A lot of interesting points. Some good idea's but I don't think all of it will work.

First off, Tyross not being Neutral and Dalmus being 3 neutral:

Agreed, consider it done.

Now as for the whole Rolloland situation. I am not opposed to making it a +1 auto deploy. I kind of like the idea, but I definitely am keeping it as a part of the Ifnal Bonus. I really like having it be a split bonus, it makes it more interesting to hold, and it makes it a very important territory. Having it be be a +1 auto deploy as well might make it too important though. On the flip side it might work out since it's kind of out there anyway and hard to hold, a auto deploy +1 might give it the extra edge. As for connecting Central Caprinthia to Rolloland, No, because Caprinthia doesn't need more borders. I all ready went out of my way to remove borders.

Summation:

Tyross: regular territory
Dalmus: Neutral 3
Central Caprinthia: Remains the same
Rolloland:Maybe a +1 auto deploy as part of the Ifnal Bonus, but honestly I'm probably just going to keep it how it is with 3 neutral.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby mattattam on Wed May 19, 2010 8:39 pm

The Bison King wrote:
Rolloland:Maybe a +1 auto deploy as part of the Ifnal Bonus, but honestly I'm probably just going to keep it how it is with 3 neutral.

Well I think if you keep Rolloland as a part of the Ifnal bonus it would make it too important if you made it +1 auto deploy as well unless you add another territory to Ifnal or something like that. I do like Ifnal being a split bonus but I think it would be more dynamic if it was a +1 auto deploy and not a part of Ifnal. Ifnal could be a +2 bonus then.

Perhaps you could consider making a different territory a +1 auto deploy. Maybe a couple of them. They could be castles or the main city/capitol. You could do this with Ashula and/or Central Skyatica. Nothing else stands out to me as a good place to do that, even those would be too much of choke points set up as they are.
Major mattattam

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 20, 2010 9:34 am

Yeah, I think you can skip on the auto-deploy for Rolloland. In fact, you can probably skip on auto-deploys everywhere in the map.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby mattattam on Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Yeah, I think you can skip on the auto-deploy for Rolloland. In fact, you can probably skip on auto-deploys everywhere in the map.

I'm okay with you disagreeing, but why would that be better? Do you just not like that personally or what? I think it would bring a more dynamic gameplay if there is 1 or perhaps 2 spots of a +1 autodeploy.
Major mattattam

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu May 20, 2010 1:35 pm

mattattam wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:Yeah, I think you can skip on the auto-deploy for Rolloland. In fact, you can probably skip on auto-deploys everywhere in the map.

I'm okay with you disagreeing, but why would that be better? Do you just not like that personally or what? I think it would bring a more dynamic gameplay if there is 1 or perhaps 2 spots of a +1 autodeploy.

I just think between the islands and the roads this map is busy enough. Though, Bison King, do whatever you think is strategically appropriate.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Thu May 20, 2010 2:42 pm

I just think between the islands and the roads this map is busy enough.

I agree.

Perhaps you could consider making a different territory a +1 auto deploy... Ashula and/or Central Skyatica. Nothing else stands out to me as a good place to do that, even those would be too much of choke points set up as they are.

You said it yourself, and I agree with you. They were some good suggestions and very much do appreciate the input, but I think I'm going to pass on the +1 auto deploys all together. I've put a lot of thought into the bonus structure of this game and adding the +1 auto deploys just adds to much counter balance to what is all ready there. Besides I'm running out of places on the map to add more rules. It's all ready crowded enough.

Sergeant The Bison King

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

No autodeploys, they're totally unnecessary on this map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby mattattam on Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Okay. Glad to give the input. Thanks for hearing it out.
Major mattattam

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Well, I've got a few more games on this map under my belt, and I think I've pretty much hammered out all of the concerns I've had with this map (as far as game play is concerned). It's been playing fine and there doesn't seem to be any real advantage to starting in any specific regions. I'll be taking any additional input into consideration if it comes up but for now I'll tentatively say that I'll be waiting for the stamp.

I have a number of Ideas I've been saving on how to improve the graphics, so once I get moved I'll start working on them. ;)

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Neato. Well, I can't really spot any problems so I'm stickying this for a couple of days for review. If nobody comes up with a glaring issue, it'll be stamped.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Thyseneal: V1.5 [Stamp review]

Postby natty dread on Tue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm

How do you spell Thessisamess... This is a mess?

I took a look, and I can't really see any problems either... I'll have to take another look when I've had some sleep, but so far looks good to me. Keep up the good work.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Thyseneal: V1.5 [Stamp review]

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 pm

How do you spell Thessisamess... This is a mess?

HA!!!! you got it!!! that's exactly what I did, I can't believe you noticed. I was working on an art project at school a while ago and this project was totally getting away from me so I named the file This is a mess, but the program saved everything as one word. I looked at it, said it out loud phonetically and thought it sounded pretty cool. I changed the spelling a little to make it sound cooler. It should be pronounce (theh-SISS-ah-mess).
Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

And time. Let's everybody have a big hand for the newest map out of Gameplay.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Fri May 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Most Excellent :D I'll start making graphical adjustments next week for I won't have any time this weekend. Looking forward to it!

First on my list of things to do:

Make it clear that Dalmus is part of the Island bonus
Make the roads look better

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Re: Thyseneal: V1.6 altenative city look

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Ok, here's the first graphical adjustment. I've altered the cities to look like castles and better reflect the cultures of each territory. I want to see what people think of this before I make the 600x600 version.

Also I added the comment in the ket (including Dalmus) for the Island bonus.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Mon May 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Loving those icons!

A few critiques: your territory borders are a bit too faded at some places. I'd suggest making the borders stronger and easier to see.

Also mountains, they seem a bit, well, pale. Add some stronger shading to them perhaps...

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Where are some of the weak borders?
Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Mon May 31, 2010 6:03 pm

Well to be honest, I think all of them could use some strengthening. But especially the ones at Tythenia, The desert, Morovia, Arleus...

Postby Neato Missile on Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah, the borders between Far Western Tytheria / Thessisamess and Chancella / Azuran jump out (or fail to jump out) as being especially hard to discern.
Lieutenant Neato Missile

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 am

Word, will fix
Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby b00kw0rm on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 am

Maybe make Dalmus a bit larger? It's rather small, blends into the background, and is partially obscured by the city icon.
My Tournaments:
Age of Conquerors [WINNER: br4nd0n2002]
Team Clash [WINNERS: bfunny27 & DBandit70]
Sibling Rivalry [ONGOING]
Private b00kw0rm

Medals: 4
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby mattattam on Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 pm

I don't think you should have Dalmus be a city. It would be more interesting if Chunjaris and Theraland could attack each other as well as Dalmus. Makes it less of a funnel.

By the way good job getting your gameplay stamp! I like the addition of the castles to make it more clear. I think some of the castles could be smaller such as Thessisamess, Hellengarm, and Northern Frontier. Northern Frontier being the same size as Denmarn is the size difference I'm thinking.
Major mattattam

Postby DubWarrior on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:31 am

Hi Bison King,
I think you already have done an amazing job with pencil and those watercolors. I don't agee on Natty dread post concerning the mountains. I would love to see a CC map without all blur, shades or glows. I think you come up with a nice alternative with this painting thing. Love that.
So, few critiques:
- I would bring the border of Alus a bit to the south, also give Illania a bit more space, you have some space in Morovia.
- azuran could use some space too, maybe move the border a bit to the south
- what's that dot under Dalmus? don't think you need that
- make that the border Aliskar Plain don't cross the text
- could you make those bonuses in the right more like those bonuses in the left, with a frame and some colors.
- I think, maybe a bit later, you will need an easier font for the legend. I don't think you can make it look all good on the small map
especially take a good look at all those legends beneath, you'll need to make that look a bit cleaner, i think.
-small thing; I find the signature a bit distinctive, maybe a bit too much. I would replace the black in it to a more grey, like the color of the castles.

I wish you all the best and looking forward to play on it!
Cadet DubWarrior

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas