AOS: Transsib 1914 <v16>

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Transsib - v1 - on queue

Postby kristijan_mk on Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

just a note.

There shouldn't be territory named Sverdlovsk. That name is for Yakov Sverdlov who was a Bolshevik leader and in 1913 he was probably in jail :)
Maybe it should be called Ural (couldn't find any info of that territory name during Russian Empire)
Major kristijan_mk

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Thu May 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm still working on the next version, but there will be impassables that can only be passed by train...

I noticed you did that on Orient express. I think that is a great idea. I think on of them should either be the Ob, or Lena rivers.

These will probably go:

Ulan Ude
Blagov. (forgot the full name)
Tayshet

I agree when I was looking at this earlier, I was thinking that there were too many stations around Baikal.

Any way, maybe it's just me but I'm not really fond of the rectangles for the station. I think you should do this in the same style as the orient express. Especially, if it ends up being a map pack.
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu May 06, 2010 6:53 pm

i like this a LOT man.. but its going to be a WIDE open map unless you get some barriers in there. I dont mind a wide open map, but its a different type of play as in the regional bonuses usually are not worth squat because you cannot protect them.

I know in that central region to central south there are a lot of mountains you can add as barrier if you were inclined, the yellow river is a huge natural and real life barrier to regions, and the great wall thing again.

If you decide to go with this barrier limited version though, i still like it.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Fri May 07, 2010 4:27 am

There will be impassables... as a spoiler I can name a few:

Ural mountains between western & central russia.

The great wall of china between Inner Mongolia and Gansu, Shanxi & Hebei.

Rivers... Ob & Lena are some I have considered.

There are also mountains in the east, which I'm considering.... I have to research them more though.

As for North Russia, I know a rail line goes into Yakutsk, but I have no idea when it was built nor where does it go there from. Small anachronisms don't matter since this is a CC map, not a history lesson, but I'd like to keep any really absurd things out (ie. putting in a rail line that was only built in the 1980:s or something like that). Either way I'd like to put at least one station there.

Also for Southern russia, I'm going to extend the Almaty line to Turkmenistan.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby kristijan_mk on Fri May 07, 2010 5:58 am

natty_dread wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_Oblast

Of course i allready checked that :)
my point is that in 1913, there was no Sverdlovsk Oblast (it was created in 1934). I don't mind whatever is it called (it's your choice) but if you go for historic accuracy, then Sverdlovsk is wrong

and another nitpicking :)

Almaty is renamed in 1992. Before that it was known as Alma-ata. And even before that it was known as Verny (till 1922)

Russians obviously loved to change names of cities/provinces :)
Major kristijan_mk

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for those nuggets of knowledge... I'll take it into consideration when I resume work on the map.

Postby theBastard on Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm

natty, in Orient Expres topic you wrote that you can have date in map names (only in Orient Expres or every from this pack?). I must ask from what date/period is this map? because Mongolian part was build very later (after II. world war) as Russian and Chinese.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby natty dread on Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 pm

This map is around 1913-1914 or so.

Anyway I don't mind slight (heh) anachronisms. The gameplay would be quite boring with only 1 railway...

Postby Dako on Tue May 18, 2010 2:57 pm

As usual, I can help with proper Russian namings :-).
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (20) General Contribution (20)

Postby natty dread on Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Dako wrote:As usual, I can help with proper Russian namings :-).

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll try to remember to call you when I can start working on this again...

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:58 pm

this is where I am now

Click image to enlarge.

impassables haven't yet been placed, title and station names missing, i'll try to finish it tomorrow.

Re: Transsib - v3 - let's go again!

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about white as the background color. I do know how I feel about using squares for stations... that is to say I don't like them.

I kind of have a thought for how you might be able to do the background color in the playable area's. What if it resembled the actual geography? That is to say a slow gradient from white in the north to various greens and browns in the south. Just a thought, it could be cool.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:52 pm

This is not meant to represent the final graphical form of the map. I'd like to get the gameplay in shape first.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Ha! Good one.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas