Conquer Club

Antarctica [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Antarctica v2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:13 pm

I nominate this map to move to Gameplay :mrgreen:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Antarctica v3

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:45 pm

v3

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Antarctica <v3> p1,9

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:16 pm

The airports are a nice addition, and the bonuses seem sensible. Obviously, the large bonuses are to counter-act the auto-decay. If I haven't mentioned this before, I think the blue ice shelves are genius and add a neat dimension to the already unique map. I like this map a lot and would love to see this quenched eventually ;)
That being said, the penguin in the top-middle of the map seems a little out of place. Is there a specific terrain reason for making this space not territories? Or is it just to balance gameplay? Also, 30 seems a bit excessive for the South Pole. Is it really THAT good? I suppose the higher troop bonuses could counter-act this, though.

Hope my two cents is worth every penny ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm

I for one would like to keep the penguin.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Um... ok. Care to address the other things I posted?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm

No, because I'm not designing the gameplay.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Sigh... isaiah40?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:The airports are a nice addition, and the bonuses seem sensible. Obviously, the large bonuses are to counter-act the auto-decay. If I haven't mentioned this before, I think the blue ice shelves are genius and add a neat dimension to the already unique map. I like this map a lot and would love to see this quenched eventually ;)
That being said, the penguin in the top-middle of the map seems a little out of place. Is there a specific terrain reason for making this space not territories? Or is it just to balance game play? Also, 30 seems a bit excessive for the South Pole. Is it really THAT good? I suppose the higher troop bonuses could counter-act this, though.

Hope my two cents is worth every penny ;)

-Sully

Okay here are my 2 cents worth! Oh darn where did I put those two pennies!?? :lol:

On a serious note the penguin in the top middle denotes the International Antarctic Penguin Sanctuary (I just made that up) so you are not aloud to kill them (I personally think they are cute and my wife thinks they are cute and cuddly). SO this area is an impassable. AS the map progresses, I'm sure natty will put that in the legend somewhere, right natty?? It is also supposed to make it a little harder to get to the bases up there, forcing you to take the longer scenic route.

As for the 30 killer neutrals sitting on the south pole, it is an alternate game winning strategy (since some here on CC don't like objective only maps), so we went with this idea. We wanted to make it a little difficult to eliminate your opponent.

I thought the airports were a nice touch rather than having the run of the mill ports to make this map unique!!

Stayed tuned for more from the frozen south!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

First off, this is moving to gameplay.

Secondly... there's airports in the Antarctic? Not plausible and it just complicates things. I like the map better without Airports.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:First off, this is moving to gameplay.

Secondly... there's airports in the Antarctic? Not plausible and it just complicates things. I like the map better without Airports.

Firstly Thank you IH!!

Secondly, they are airstrips at the bases so it is plausible. Maybe we need to say Airstrips instead of Airports. Thirdly, it makes the map a little more unique instead of the boring "All ports can attack each other" syndrome.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 am

I think airports (or airstrips) work, but the current airplane picture doesn't fit (I know I know, its not graphics time). Gameplay wise, I think the sectors are kinda boring... I like that they can only be attacked by the SP, and the objective is fine, but the way they attack I think could be improved. Maybe bombard nearby bases and/or shelfs? I don't know. :-k
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 am

isaiah40 wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:First off, this is moving to gameplay.

Firstly Thank you IH!!

Secondly, they are airstrips at the bases so it is plausible. Maybe we need to say Airstrips instead of Airports. Thirdly, it makes the map a little more unique instead of the boring "All ports can attack each other" syndrome.

1)Yeah, that's true... but the whole airstrips can attack each other is just a variation of the ports can attack each other.
2) In my mind, the antarctic is very windy and cold and planes generally can't fly there.
3) They take focus off the south pole.
4) The sea routes are sufficient for movement around the continent.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:16 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:I think airports (or airstrips) work, but the current airplane picture doesn't fit (I know I know, its not graphics time). Gameplay wise, I think the sectors are kinda boring... I like that they can only be attacked by the SP, and the objective is fine, but the way they attack I think could be improved. Maybe bombard nearby bases and/or shelfs? I don't know. :-k

That's okay carl, we can fix that, maybe just the plane without the circle?

We wanted to have it a little bit quirky game play wise, BUT that is not to say that I won't change anything if convinced. If we have the starting sectors bombard the nearby bases then in any team game you will have the other teammate(s) stacking their men on their sector (along with fortifying their teammate) so that it would end up possibly in a stalemated game. On the other hand it might work if I have it so that the sectors can bombard 2 territories away.

As for the sectors bombarding the Ice Shelves, they already reset to neutral at the start of your turn.

Anyone else with suggestions or comments?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 am

Industrial Helix wrote:1)Yeah, that's true... but the whole airstrips can attack each other is just a variation of the ports can attack each other.
2) In my mind, the antarctic is very windy and cold and planes generally can't fly there.
3) They take focus off the south pole.
4) The sea routes are sufficient for movement around the continent.

1) True that it is just a variation of using ports, at the same time ships have to contend with icebergs and such while planes only have to contend with the wind which in my mind makes it a little easier to get around (not to mention faster).
2) We agree here
3) Well there is no focus on the south pole here as the objective is to hold all the bases to win, while the south pole is the alternate way to win.
4) See point #1.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:14 pm

Soo...

would it be sufficient to rename the airports as "landing strips" or "airstrips" or something similar? Or maybe make them heliports?

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:15 pm

I like Airstrips.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Yes, airstrip sounds right. The facilities are not quite up to "airport" scale, and I think fixed-wing aircraft are far more common that helicopters down there.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby carlpgoodrich on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:44 am

I work with some people who travel to Antarctica every couple years (they are astronomers.. launch a telescope attached to a giant hot-air balloon that goes above the atmosphere... theres a documentary called BLAST about it, really cool :) ). I can ask them what they fly in/what they call it.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby ender516 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:26 am

Ooo, authenticity, I LIKE it. :)

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am

That'd be nice.

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:38 am

Ok, so apparently they take military planes with skies on them. There aren't really any specified man made "air strips", I think they just look for a flat area and land.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby ender516 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:56 am

Well, since I doubt that "flat area to land a skiplane" will fit on the map, I would stick with "airstrip".

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 am

Hm. So there aren't actual airstrips there... well, this map isn't actually 100% based-on-reality-stuff anyway... I think we'll just stick with airstrips.

Postby ender516 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:48 am

I dare say if they decide to put markers down on the snow to show the pilot where a good flat area is (especially in the dark of winter), then that would qualify as an airstrip.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:45 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:Ok, so apparently they take military planes with skies on them. There aren't really any specified man made "air strips", I think they just look for a flat area and land.

natty_dread wrote:Years from now, this will come up as a trivia question in some sort of site-organized contest... some lucky bastard will win premium by digging through this map thread for clues.

Lol
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas