Conquer Club

Antarctica [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Antarctic - let's do it! read here if interested

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm

How about... a Futuristic Dystopia where Factions of Marauding Penguins are battling over the The Last Known Cold Spot on Earth.

"Global Meltdown: Penguins In Cold Sweat"

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

natty_dread wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:As for the map, if there is any difficulty figuring out the direction of the project, one could always do a futuristic Antarctica map, I see some fun potential for that...but I suppose it makes sense to get a vanilla Antarctica map first.

Mainly, I'm just hoping to bypass that pesky 2 map limit by having someone else do the gameplay and put the map through the foundry on his name ;)

...Well, we don't have a vanilla moon map either, and we're still making a moon map based on a futuristic war. So I for one would have no problem with a futuristic battle scene on the antarctic... really, anything goes, as long as I can put in some penguins ;)

I have some stuff Im gonna scan in america tomorrow and put in paint.net and touch up and send you.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I have some stuff Im gonna scan in america tomorrow and put in paint.net and touch up and send you.

No scanners in Mexico?

:lol: God!! that's so bad but you make it too easy :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:29 am

Oooh, lots of posts... I wish my other map threads were this popular ;)

denominator wrote:I've been lurking in the various Foundry forums for quite some time, wanting to get my hands into it, but also wanting to avoid anything like Blitzaholic has with Clandemonium.

I've got a couple of ideas for it, but I must admit that I completely and utterly lack graphical skills. MS Paint will really be the best that I can do, but if that works for you then I'll give it a go.

Of course. The gameplay plan does not need to be graphically advanced, it just needs to show all territory connections, bonus areas etc. By all means give it a shot!

natty, you've already got one idea from The Bison King, and sounds like a second coming from AoN. I'll try to get my idea done tonight or in the next couple of days, and then you'll have 3 choices to choose from. I'll commit to running with it all the way through as a true partnership if you choose my ideas. Ultimately though, as the artist, it's your map and your choice on which gameplay to go with.

Yeah. If I have difficulty in choosing I might even put them up for a poll... ;)

AndyDufresne wrote:How about... a Futuristic Dystopia where Factions of Marauding Penguins are battling over the The Last Known Cold Spot on Earth.

Hmm.... Hmm... Hm. Anyone remember a 90:s something PC game called Worms? There were these worms with all kinds of weapons, each player had a team of 4 worms which you could control on their turn (it was turn based) and use the various weapons to shoot the opponent's worms. If we would replace the worms with penguins, the map could be filled with penguins with various weapons and each penguin with different weapons could attack the other penguins differently... eh...

Too weird?

The Bison King wrote:

No scanners in Mexico?

If it comes to that, you can send the papers to me by snail mail and I can scan them myself ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby denominator on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 am

natty_dread wrote:Hmm.... Hmm... Hm. Anyone remember a 90:s something PC game called Worms? There were these worms with all kinds of weapons, each player had a team of 4 worms which you could control on their turn (it was turn based) and use the various weapons to shoot the opponent's worms. If we would replace the worms with penguins, the map could be filled with penguins with various weapons and each penguin with different weapons could attack the other penguins differently... eh...

Too weird?

I still play Worms! Maybe not this map... but an different one!
Lieutenant denominator

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:36 am

The original Worms was an awesome game. I don't know about the sequels, I never played them much... but the original was a blast. I've heard the original is now available as a java application for mobile phones and such...

Yeah, I think it could make for an awesome map. The worms would have to be replaced with some other animals (like penguins, camels, cockroaches, snowmen or turtles) to avoid copyrights...

Postby tzor on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:38 am

AndyDufresne wrote:How about... a Futuristic Dystopia where Factions of Marauding Penguins are battling over the The Last Known Cold Spot on Earth.

--Andy

I have an old image of Anarctica wich was I think based on land mass and sea level that showed what the land would like without the ice.

I was able to trace the image back to WIki.

Click image to enlarge.

Rock surface of Antarctica and sea ground without its ice-shield, from 60 to 90 degrees South. This map does not consider that sea level would rise because of the melted ice, nor that the landmass would rise by several hundred meters over a few tens of thousands of years after the weight of the ice was no longer depressing the landmass.
Cadet tzor

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:13 pm

^ That is awesome.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby denominator on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:44 pm

Okay, here's my first try. It's VERY rough as I have very little graphical experience and like you suggested, I did it in MS Paint:

show

I haven't put any other territories in yet because I didn't want to waste the time figuring out where all the research stations and the like are if you don't like the premise. I've kept everything accurate so far (with the exception of my own little fictional story bits), and want to place research stations and the like in their proper geographical spots.

The basic premise is that the 8 starting points at the centre (the odd wheel-like thing) are survivors of a plane crash, and all 8 are trying to get off Antarctica before they perish. The Starting Points each get +2 auto-deploy per round, and players only start with one of these points (or more, if player count is <5, like in Feudal Epic). They cannot attack each other. All of the other territories will start neutral, with the counts varying depending on routes (again, this depends on research stations, etc.).

For an Objective win, players need to hold the GPS (so they know where to go), and one of the 4 "rescue points": South America, New Zealand, McMurdo Station, or Wilkins Runway (these can all change, they're just roughly what I came up with).

Since Das Schloss failed as an Objective-only map, I don't think CC will allow anyone to go that route again. So I'll need to have a territory that can bombard/kill the other starting points. I'm thinking some sort of weather station that can send a blizzard in on them, but that sounds rather hokey to me.

The Research Stations will grant bonuses, and will not be subject to troop decay like "normal" territories.

Let me know if you like the premise and I'll flesh it out a bit more. Otherwise I can scrap it and move on to idea #2.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:01 pm

I like it. This is different from all the other objective conquest maps where you start from the sides and try to get to the center... it's the other way around. The idea is cool as well.

Since Das Schloss failed as an Objective-only map, I don't think CC will allow anyone to go that route again.

I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. However such a concept doesn't seem to be very popular to the majority of the players... it seems people want to kill their opponents. So let's not go there anyway...

The objective you have sounds reasonable to me.

I'm thinking some sort of weather station that can send a blizzard in on them, but that sounds rather hokey to me.

Yeah it does... this part, you'll have to think on a bit more...

The Research Stations will grant bonuses, and will not be subject to troop decay like "normal" territories.

Let me know if you like the premise and I'll flesh it out a bit more. Otherwise I can scrap it and move on to idea #2.

I like that you used a part of my idea of where the bulk of territories have a decay. Anyway like I said, I do like the idea, but I still want to see what AON will come up with before I make my final decision.

(although, if you don't feel like putting all your eggs in one basket, you're still welcome to post as many ideas as you like ;) )

Postby denominator on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 am

Well, I'm happy to see that you didn't totally kill it, and understand that you want to see AoN's idea (if I were in your position, I'd do the exact same thing).

If I have time this weekend, I'll see if I can get my other ideas together, but first priority is to flesh this one out a bit further.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby prplmnstr on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:08 am

This is a map I suggested when I first joined. I don't care about credit or if this design is used or if it's a different one, BUT I WANT PENGUINS!

A few mistakes: "Transantarctic Mnts." should be "Mtns.", "Ross Ice Shelf- 3" should be 2.
Sorry. Still, I think we need Antarctica.

(original attempt: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=21617&start=420)
Sergeant 1st Class prplmnstr

Postby prplmnstr on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:11 am

Also, I like the futuristic ideas and the objective-achieving one as well, but I don't see why we can't have regular Antarctica in addition to a futuristic one.

Postby prplmnstr on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:21 am

The Bison King wrote:Image

Okay, this one is better than mine. Let's do it! (BUT with a picture of a penguin somewhere or something like that)

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 am

prplmnstr wrote:This is a map I suggested when I first joined. I don't care about credit or if this design is used or if it's a different one, BUT I WANT PENGUINS!

Thanks for your input. I will consider your draft as an entry to the gameplay "contest" if you don't have any objections...?

And yeah, there will be penguins. If for nothing else then as graphical decorations, although I hope they will be a part of the gameplay somehow.

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 am

I have edited the first post to include my latest graphical draft and all the gameplay drafts.

Still waiting for AON to post his draft and denominator possibly posting another draft...

Postby denominator on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm

natty_dread wrote:Still waiting for AON to post his draft and denominator possibly posting another draft...

I was planning on adding to my first idea and possibly doing a different gameplay draft this afternoon, but ran out of time. Maybe tonight or a little bit later.

I think I've figured out a fair way to do the exits from the starting points, and looking at a map of research stations your idea of them being safety zones looks viable.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 pm

Bonus Structure -
Byrd Land + Chilean Claim +2
New Zealand Claim +1
Australian Claim +3
French claim +1
Norwegian Claim +2
Argentine Claim +1

Control The territory + the Science station or Military base +1
Control The territory + The Science Station or Military base + THE North Pole +2

Ice shelves and the north pole -1

After seeing the other maps, I guess mine is lacking. Between building my website and interviewing for jobs and thinking about starting a business ; Ive been a little busy the last week.

I like flowing lines that use the golden square. I believe Feudal does this (whether intentional or not) and I think that is what makes it so appealing.
I like Wales and Poland gameplay so I thought I would borrow the Idea.

I like the Idea of an ALL OUT all or nothing big gamble BIG reward type of map. I would like to get rid of the Claim bonuses completely and just have a research/military station/ north pole map. And have the Station+pole bonus even higher.

ATM I am working on this draft on Paint.net and its starting to look a little better. I finally gave up on a scan and this is a photo :(

If this gets any consideration at all, I promise the next version will not embarrass me as much :oops:
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:24 pm

2 other points..

1) South Shetland Islands are going to be blown up and indexed like in kingstown area in the Jamaica map.
2) The pole will not be highly accessible, only by airstrips and Im not sure where they will be yet.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm

This looks interesting. I'd love to see a complete gameplay draft, with territory names etc.

Also I like the idea of an inset of the South Shetland...

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:43 pm

thats in paint. net as I type. Trying to figure out how to expand the draft board so I can fit the inset in. And also trying to get the wand to work so I can change the watercolour to a real computer drawn line. :oops:
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

I think what you're looking for is in image -> canvas size.

As for the magic wand, try adjusting the "tolerance" slider after you select the wand tool...

Postby denominator on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Good to know AoN has all his research stations plotted in about the same spots that I have mine plotted - neither of us has made any critical errors thus far (although I question how much sleep AoN had when he keeps referring to the North Pole on an Antarctica map).

If at all possible natty, I'd like to expand the map to include the edges of South America and New Zealand, and if you're willing possibly out to Australia and Africa, sort of like this:

New Zealand and South America are close enough to be viable as playable areas, and Australia has a lot of claims and research stations in Antarctica. If we go with my idea, I want to keep everything as accurately placed as possible.

I added onto my idea above, plotting out the research stations (unfortunately, most are along the coast), and did a rough (very rough) draw in of my potential territories. Once again, I apologize for my lack of graphics skills.

Click image to enlarge.

The orange squares are research stations, they all have names but I didn't put them on yet. All 8 starting points have immediate access to 2 attack points, and from there can access either of the two mainland research stations. So it's balanced to that point, but beyond that I didn't do it as carefully. There's no doubt many of my borders will need to move at some point.

The pink X is where I intend to put my bombard/attack point for the starting spots, or possibly the GPS (with the bombard point there). I still haven't come up with anything clever yet. The only port in Antarctica is at McMurdo Station, which is also the largest airstrip on the continent (Wilkins being the largest on the east side of the map). That whole SW coast area is devoid of stuff to work with.

I decided not to use the ice shelves as territories but as barriers for now, as they made for nice choke points in the NW. I may later change them to full decay and reset to neutral at the beginning of turns. As for the rest of the territories, anything that doesn't have a pink dot or an X or a name currently will decay at -1 troops per turn.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:09 pm

denominator wrote:If at all possible natty, I'd like to expand the map to include the edges of South America and New Zealand, and if you're willing possibly out to Australia and Africa, sort of like this:

Sort of like the arctic map? This would be a neat idea, except for size restrictions. Ever notice how the ice cap is only 3 territories in the arctic map? ;)

Your draft also looks good, although some of the smaller territories worry me a bit - the amount of territories may have to be cut down somewhat... remember that a small version must also be made, and army numbers must be able to fit - along with territory names. :-k

Postby denominator on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 am

natty_dread wrote:
denominator wrote:If at all possible natty, I'd like to expand the map to include the edges of South America and New Zealand, and if you're willing possibly out to Australia and Africa, sort of like this:

Sort of like the arctic map? This would be a neat idea, except for size restrictions. Ever notice how the ice cap is only 3 territories in the arctic map? ;)

Oh, I know. I really don't need much, just the edges. The emphasis on that map was the regions around the cap, so the cap got reduced to 3 territories, whereas the emphasis here is on Antarctica so the other regions would be reduced.

natty_dread wrote:Your draft also looks good, although some of the smaller territories worry me a bit - the amount of territories may have to be cut down somewhat... remember that a small version must also be made, and army numbers must be able to fit - along with territory names. :-k

I realize that some of them are definitely too small, and there are a couple that are too big. That's something I/we will have to play with later if we go with this idea. Right now I just threw them on to make parts of the map more crowded than others so it's about the same number of steps to get anywhere (although I don't think it's exact).
Lieutenant denominator

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas