Conquer Club

Dark Continent (Colonial Africa) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Colonial Africa 1.8

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Ok I think gameplay wise this is pretty much good to go. The only thing I could see that could use changing is that England has 2 landing tert's while the other nations only have 1. I don't think this is a real problem but if others felt that the imbalance was to large I could either drop Gold coast all together, or combine both of Madagascars tert's into one French landing tert. That way 2 nations would have 2. Or of course just leave it the same, which is my preference. I think having a little calculated imbalance is good. I think it's better that England be slightly more desirable. It'll cause tension and force players to act. What do you guys think?

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby pimpdave on Sat May 14, 2011 12:25 pm

When do we get to play this map?
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby natty dread on Sat May 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, it depends whether the Tea Party Censorship Squad manages to sabotage the map's development or not.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby TaCktiX on Sat May 14, 2011 1:28 pm

The legend still has the "corresponding" and "assaulted" typoes.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby pimpdave on Sat May 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Even if those typos are corrected, I'll never ever be able to play this map with the knowledge that they once existed. KILL THIS MAP! NEVER LET IT SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 15, 2011 1:21 am

TaCktiX wrote:The legend still has the "corresponding" and "assaulted" typoes.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Typoes fixed.

pimpdave wrote:Even if those typos are corrected, I'll never ever be able to play this map with the knowledge that they once existed. KILL THIS MAP! NEVER LET IT SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY!

meh, it'd be easier to erase your memory.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Seamus76 on Tue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm

This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby natty dread on Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Seamus76 wrote:This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.

Nobody can tell you when the map will be in play. However, if you want to speed it up, you can help by participating in the development, offering constructive criticism to the mapmaker, etc. While posts like yours stroke the mapmaker's ego, posts that offer legitimate feedback and/or criticism are a hundred times more valuable to him. Just saying...

Postby The Bison King on Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Seamus76 wrote:This is a great map, seriously when will this be available for play? Should skip the graphics workshop as well.

Nobody can tell you when the map will be in play. However, if you want to speed it up, you can help by participating in the development, offering constructive criticism to the mapmaker, etc. While posts like yours stroke the mapmaker's ego, posts that offer legitimate feedback and/or criticism are a hundred times more valuable to him. Just saying...

Natty do you have any suggestions? I think the gameplay is pretty much where I want it. I've been waiting for some new suggestions but the lack there of is kind of telling me that it's time for a sticky. At the very least it'll draw more peoples attention and might pull out a few last minute changes before this goes in graphics.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Seamus76 on Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm

You're right natty. I'm just a little lazy and have only been looking at the last few posts and the current map, which i think are great and didn't see any game play issues. Thought I would stroke a little ego while i was here though.
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby natty dread on Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 am

Will you be coding the european powers as starting positions? If so, I think you could code them so that each player only gets one.

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 18, 2011 8:46 am

natty_dread wrote:Will you be coding the european powers as starting positions? If so, I think you could code them so that each player only gets one.

Yes. Each player will start with at least 1 European power, as well as a relatively random host of African territories. I'll probably have to code in bonus blocks like on Thyseneal, just to make sure everyone has a fair start.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Wed May 18, 2011 6:02 pm

No I mean code them so that each player only gets one. It would make sense thematically - each starts with one country.

Postby ender516 on Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm

I have not been keeping up on this map since about page 4, until this evening. TBK has asked me to pitch in on the XML and I look forward to it, as I believe this map has some very interesting gameplay. Getting those starting positions worked out will no doubt be a challenge. I guess I will have to fire up the old bonus calculators and see what falls out.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 pm

ender516 wrote:I have been keeping up on this map since about page 4, until this evening. TBK has asked me to pitch in on the XML and I look forward to it, as I believe this map has some very interesting gameplay. Getting those starting positions worked out will no doubt be a challenge. I guess I will have to fire up the old bonus calculators and see what falls out.

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear that you'll be a part of this. I look forward to working with you again.

natty_dread wrote:No I mean code them so that each player only gets one. It would make sense thematically - each starts with one country.

I think we are agreeing. If you mean that each player will start with more than one territory but only one European power then yes we are agreeing. Each player only should on;y start with 1 European power even in a 1 v 1.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 pm

A quick note: when you fix Tunesia to Tunisia, you might want to fix Usanda to Uganda.

Also, I wonder why you haven't used a territory more like Spanish Sahara instead of your Spanish Morocco. (It probably makes no real difference, I just remembered the place name.)

Postby MarshalNey on Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 am

I'll give this a nudge to a sticky, but before this gets stamped it will require an updated first post. The gameplay starting positions and deployment should be there, for instance, along with bonus values if possible.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby The Bison King on Fri May 20, 2011 9:33 am

MarshalNey wrote:I'll give this a nudge to a sticky, but before this gets stamped it will require an updated first post. The gameplay starting positions and deployment should be there, for instance, along with bonus values if possible.

-- Marshal Ney

Most excellent I'll have to figure those out in the next couple of days with Ender. I'll be out until Sunday though. Also what were the golden start numbers? like in the 60-70 range?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby isaiah40 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:45 am

The Bison King wrote:Most excellent I'll have to figure those out in the next couple of days with Ender. I'll be out until Sunday though. Also what were the golden start numbers? like in the 60-70 range?

You can find them here.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Fri May 20, 2011 11:58 am

Fast posted by isaiah40:
According to the original discussions here, you are good with any number from 66 through 71 inclusive, but I suppose we should refer to isaiah40's link since those are the official guidelines.

EDIT:

P.S. I see that what started as Djibouti, and then became B. S. ( :lol: ) (British Somaliland, I presume) has been turned over to the Ottomans as a landing point named O. S. I presume that means we want to call it Ottoman Somaliland, a term slightly out of date by 1914, but acceptable I think for the sake of gameplay.

2nd EDIT:

P.P.S Some of the bonus region names seem a bit anachronistic. I would suggest the following changes:

Tanzania -> Tanganyika

Angola -> Portuguese West Africa

Mozambique -> Portuguese East Africa

Namibia -> German South-West Africa

Cameroon -> Kamerun [it was a German colony, so the German spelling seems appropriate]

Some of these are a bit longer, so they may be a pain to fit in.

Also, when the shading goes onto Germany and Portugal, I find their colours hard to distinguish. I guess it's because Portugal is a small area and most of its yellowness is shaded over. The distinction is clear in the mini-maps, but on the main map, I just don't see the colour connection between Portugal and its colonies. I suggest swapping the colours of Germany and Portugal. That way, in Europe, there will be a larger yellow area which will be more clearly yellow, while the brown will be shaded and still brown.

3rd EDIT: (Yeah, I know, this is getting silly, but I don't want to double post.)

I have never been really comfortable with continents and territories sharing names. It is legal, but just seems like something that might be confusing at some point. So, I would like to suggest using "Spanish Sahara" for the bonus zone in place of "Spanish Morocco", and "Anatolia" in place of "Ottoman" (the European homeland).

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 22, 2011 8:33 pm

First to respond to all these edits:

P.S. I see that what started as Djibouti, and then became B. S. ( :lol: ) (British Somaliland, I presume) has been turned over to the Ottomans as a landing point named O. S. I presume that means we want to call it Ottoman Somaliland, a term slightly out of date by 1914, but acceptable I think for the sake of gameplay.

Yes, a necessary change, it's a shame but I was rather fond of B.S. :lol:

P.P.S Some of the bonus region names seem a bit anachronistic. I would suggest the following changes:

Tanzania -> Tanganyika

Please explain that one for me. I've never heard that one and I'm curious.

Angola -> Portuguese West Africa

Mozambique -> Portuguese East Africa

Namibia -> German South-West Africa

Those are just too long to fit, at the moment, if some space opens up I'll consider changing them.

Cameroon -> Kamerun [it was a German colony, so the German spelling seems appropriate]

I think that's how I had it originally.

Also, when the shading goes onto Germany and Portugal, I find their colours hard to distinguish. I guess it's because Portugal is a small area and most of its yellowness is shaded over. The distinction is clear in the mini-maps, but on the main map, I just don't see the colour connection between Portugal and its colonies. I suggest swapping the colours of Germany and Portugal. That way, in Europe, there will be a larger yellow area which will be more clearly yellow, while the brown will be shaded and still brown.

Maybe we'll see about that. Yellow just seems to "happy" for Germany. All of the colors are bound to change so this problem will probably disappear at the hands of an alternative solution later on.

I have never been really comfortable with continents and territories sharing names. It is legal, but just seems like something that might be confusing at some point. So, I would like to suggest using "Spanish Sahara" for the bonus zone in place of "Spanish Morocco", and "Anatolia" in place of "Ottoman" (the European homeland).

A bit pet peevish but I have no problem with those changes, you might have to remind me later on though.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Ok maybe I don't understand how start locations work entirely but I figured this would at least get the ball rolling. Here's my proposal on how to block bonuses at the start.
Of course this only predicts 8 player games.... :?

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun May 22, 2011 8:46 pm

The Bison King wrote:

Tanzania -> Tanganyika

I don't know whether or not that was the legit name of the territory back then, but I do know that there's a lake that borders Tanzania called, Lake Tanganyika:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Sun May 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
The Bison King wrote:

Tanzania -> Tanganyika

I don't know whether or not that was the legit name of the territory back then, but I do know that there's a lake that borders Tanzania called, Lake Tanganyika:

-Sully

that's right. That's actually the lake featured in the map. I'm not sure it should be the region name though.

Sergeant The Bison King

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas