California [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: California 1.1

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 pm

MrBenn wrote:I hate to say it, but I really don;t think the visual style fits the theme of the map at all... while it worked for Thyseneal, I don't know how well it works here.

I agree, but does it matter at this stage? I feel like we still need to figure out some of the gameplay concepts, bonus areas, etc.

-Sulls
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:15 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I hate to say it, but I really don;t think the visual style fits the theme of the map at all... while it worked for Thyseneal, I don't know how well it works here.

I agree, but does it matter at this stage? I feel like we still need to figure out some of the gameplay concepts, bonus areas, etc.

-Sulls

We're not in graphics yet. One thing at a time.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 am

I must say that I am very confused with your post Mr B. We have had this chicken and egg discussion before. You have stated that the GP always comes first, and I on the other hand have always maintained, that each map project is different, but in most cases, the GP and GFX develop side by side.

This IS the GP Workshop, and according to you, the graphics are not to be discussed yet. Or have you changed your view on this ? :?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Another thought bison, I lived in monterey and I can attest that from about carmel by the sea to north SF its one big metropolis with 2 great huge baysa and a lot of mountain impassables.

What about a north cali- socal map... keep the map intact for the most part but have a large blow up of carmel-north SF.. and a large blow up of Santa monica (lived there too) to SD.

two large blow ups and a fun map (which you have atm) of mountains and valleys in between the two.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Re: California 1.2

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Update time!

Changes:

I extended the mountains to defend Elderado from Lake Tahoe thus reducing the number of central valley borders by one.

I extended the mountains to defend San Jose from Can Luois thus reducing the number of borders of Bay Area by one.

I raised the wirth of LA to +6 but I'm probably going to re-arrange the territories in a later draft so that number might change again.

_ bumped Sierra Nevada up to +3 as well.

I enlarged the mini map and gave it greater detail

Sergeant The Bison King

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:12 pm

I think you should draw the territory borders of the insets on the main map as well.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:27 pm

natty_dread wrote:I think you should draw the territory borders of the insets on the main map as well.

I could do that easy enough. I'll do it once I'm 100% on the arrangment.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 pm

The Bison King wrote:
natty_dread wrote:I think you should draw the territory borders of the insets on the main map as well.

I could do that easy enough. I'll do it once I'm 100% on the arrangment.
What is the reason for this ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Legibility
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:05 pm

natty_dread wrote:Legibility
But this would make the mini-map LESS legible, by adding extra, and IMO, unnecessary info. The mini-map is only there to give bonus information, so unless there is a "good" reason to add anything else, I do not see the point.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby The Bison King on Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:15 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
But this would make the mini-map LESS legible, by adding extra, and IMO, unnecessary info. The mini-map is only there to give bonus information, so unless there is a "good" reason to add anything else, I do not see the point.

I believe there is a misunderstanding, Natty was saying to add the territories to the main map, on Bay Area and LA. He was not suggesting drawing territories onto the mini map.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 pm

The Bison King wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:

I believe there is a misunderstanding, Natty was saying to add the territories to the main map, on Bay Area and LA. He was not suggesting drawing territories onto the mini map.
yep, It is clearly MY misunderstanding. And natty is right, The borders SHOULD be on the map, as in the insets. :oops:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

Postby The Bison King on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Also the territ designations for LA are not quite right. I will post something on this a little later.

I'd like to hear more about this now. I'd like to make some changes in LA soon.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby The Bison King on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:32 pm

This is the map I was using as reference. Obviously I tweeked and skewwed it a lot because who want's to take over Antalope valley? Not this guy. :roll:

I want to fit in cool territories that people want to take, like Hollywood, Burbank, and Beverley Hills. So I think this obtainable just by bending the actual size of these regions just a bit. That being said for game play reasons I either want to reduce the bonuses borders by one or raise the over all worth of the bonus.

Sergeant The Bison King

General Contribution (3)

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Sorry, I don't get the Antelope Valley thing.

Beverly Hills is nowhere near the ocean. You should just call that territ Santa Monica or Malibu.
The territ to the South of that should be called San Pedro or Long Beach.
Orange Is a county south of LA.
Burbank is in the San Fernando Valley.
Hollywood is not in the center of LA.
I will fill the LA territs that you have with more accurate names tomorrow.

Names aside, the biggest beef that I have is the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. If ever there was an "Impasse" this mountain range would certainly qualify. It runs through Tahoe to the south and curls to the west just north of LA. Everything to the east of it should not connect to the Napa valley. Or "Central Valley".
Lieutenant porkenbeans

General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas