Conquer Club

CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [22.4.12] P6-V10 Gameplay?

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:46 am

pamoa wrote:I would suggest you change the following neutrals
as I think it is better if key connecting point are "active"
else they become blocking point
and can give a big advantage to some player with a good concentrated drop

Eastern Suburbs = Bondi
SE Suburbs = Marrickville
Sydney = City
Northern Beaches = (Narrabeen) Palm Beach is better as it is not blocking the access to the kayak line
Blue Mountains National Park = (Blue Mountains National Park) Jamison Valley is better as BMNP is an hot point
National Parks = Marramarra National Parks North

Good points, though I would probably prefer that Manly start neutral rather than Palm Beach as Palm Beach is the only Northern Beaches territory that borders National Parks. Also, cairns, have you thought about extending the border of Palm Beach to Kuringal all the way and removing that little speck of water? It would clarify the borders a little more.

And I don't see any problem making Jamison Valley the neutral either. BMNP is a pretty centrally located region to start as a neutral.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 am

nolefan5311 wrote:...Also, cairns, have you thought about extending the border of Palm Beach to Kuringal all the way and removing that little speck of water? It would clarify the borders a little more.

i already have extended that border but am not in favour of extending it all the way because there is a bay in there...nobody would know of course unless they checked another map, but doesn't seem right to me when i think it is clear that Palm Bach borders Kuringai-Chase N.P. :)

The other suggestions above re changing positions for the neutral starts i am happy to do. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:17 pm

cairnswk wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:...Also, cairns, have you thought about extending the border of Palm Beach to Kuringal all the way and removing that little speck of water? It would clarify the borders a little more.

i already have extended that border but am not in favour of extending it all the way because there is a bay in there...nobody would know of course unless they checked another map, but doesn't seem right to me when i think it is clear that Palm Bach borders Kuringai-Chase N.P. :)

The other suggestions above re changing positions for the neutral starts i am happy to do. :)

Ok, cool. Maybe just extend the straight horizontal line of the border between Palm Beach and Narrabeen all the way to Kuringal, cutting off that little triangle of St Ives Chase might be an option too. I wouldn't say it's unclear right now, but it's confusing just a little.

Also, I've run the bonus drop probabilities and they're very low, which is good. I'm running it by ian right now, should hear back from him in the next day or two. Would you be opposed to adding one more starting neutral? I've asked him what he thinks about lowering the start positions from 66 to 65, decreasing the golden number to 21, which would lower the probabilities even more, but then we may have an issue with the 21 starting regions and getting your opponent below 21 (and possibly even 18) too easily first turn in a 1v1. Hold off on changing anything right now until either he posts in the thread and I've posted what he's told me. Regardless, you're pretty close the Stamp, so hang tight :D
Captain nolefan5311

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [25.4.12] P6-V11 Gameplay?

Postby pamoa on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:05 am

65 not good at all in 1vs1 and 3 players games
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 pm

cairns, further review by Ian and myself indicates that you may need to lower the bonuses for Lower B.M, Upper B.M, BMNP, and Northwest Highlands even more. As is, a person can hold Parr State, Wilberforce, Winmalee, and Warragamba (4 regions) for a +12 bonus, or they can hold Winmalee and Warragamba (2 regions) for a +9.

What you may need to do is reduce each of the bonuses by 1, or perhaps combine the Upper BM and Lower BM bonuses into one continent at a +5 or something like that. That is, unless you're opposed to adding some sort of long range connection into the region, but I know you strive for geographic authenticity.. Maybe there can be a one way attack from Sydney to the Dam region, since you said that the dam is the sole provider of power to Sydney? Just an idea, let me know how you'd like to proceed.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby guttorm on Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Your definition of "classic" seems a bit peculiar.. makes me think of something very old and original that later things are modeled upon - not simply another word for great.
I´m sure it could be called classic australian within that specific geographical context, but it´s hardly one of the truly classic cities of the world.

..but exaggeration is the sign of these times and the map looks good so never mind..
Private 1st Class guttorm

Postby DiM on Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

guttorm wrote:Your definition of "classic" seems a bit peculiar.. makes me think of something very old and original that later things are modeled upon - not simply another word for great.
I´m sure it could be called classic australian within that specific geographical context, but it´s hardly one of the truly classic cities of the world.

..but exaggeration is the sign of these times and the map looks good so never mind..

it's called Classic because it is one of the cities featured on the Classic map
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby guttorm on Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

aha.. gotya.. I misunderstood within what context the word classic was used. Ignore my previous comment.
Private 1st Class guttorm

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2012 2:40 pm

guttorm wrote:Your definition of "classic" seems a bit peculiar.. makes me think of something very old and original that later things are modeled upon - not simply another word for great.

guttorm wrote:aha.. gotya.. I misunderstood within what context the word classic was used. Ignore my previous comment.

Thank you Dim, that is quite the reason it is called Classic Sydney, but also because it has "classic" gameplay - no frills or add-on bits.

However, to answer fairly guttorm's argument...

let's take this from the online Oxford Dictionary:

Classic:
Origin:
early 17th century: from French classique or Latin classicus 'belonging to a class or division', later 'of the highest class', from classis (see class)

Note that classic means ‘typical, excellent as an example, timeless,’ as in John Ford directed many classic Westerns, and classical means ‘relating to Greek or Roman antiquity’ ( the museum was built in the classical style). Great art is considered classic, not classical, unless it is created in the forms of antiquity. Classical music is the exception to this rule, being formal music adhering to certain stylistic principles of the late 18th century.

adjective
1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind: a classic novel a classic car
(of a garment or design) of a simple, elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion: this classic navy blazer

2. very typical of its kind: Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy I had all the classic symptoms of flu

classic

Pronunciation: /ˈklasɪk/
adjective

1judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind: a classic novel a classic car
(of a garment or design) of a simple, elegant style not greatly subject to changes in fashion: this classic navy blazer

2very typical of its kind: Hamlet is the classic example of a tragedy I had all the classic symptoms of flu

noun

1. a work of art of recognized and established value: his books have become classics
a garment of a simple, elegant, and long-lasting style.
a thing which is memorable and a very good example of its kind: he’s hoping that tomorrow’s game will be a classic

2. (Classics) a subject at school or university which involves the study of ancient Greek and Latin literature, philosophy, and history: an honours degree in Classics
(the classics) the works of ancient Greek and Latin writers and philosophers.
dated a scholar of ancient Greek and Latin.

3. (Classic) a major sports tournament or competition, especially in golf or tennis: the Australian Classic
(in the UK) each of the five main flat races of the horse-racing season.

If we look here in 2009 (Forbes Magazine) we'll find that Sydney is judged no 2 in the world for "happiness" after Rio.

And here, yes it clearly doesn't make the top "Classical" cities of the world.

But then i guess it depends on who is defining the term "classic".
The World's best place to live in 2011 - Sydney No 11. - nothing to sneeze at
The World's most livable City 2011 - Sydney No 6
The Best Cities for Design and Modern Architecture 2010 - Sydney no 3. And I doubt anybody would dare to argue about the Opera House and Harbour Bridge being classic pieces of architectures.

Yes it definitely doesn't fit the European classical sense in many respects, but if you define it by the proper definition of classic...I (and others) would go so far to say it has become one of the world's classic cities.

Now, back to topic... :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:cairns, further review by Ian and myself indicates that you may need to lower the bonuses for Lower B.M, Upper B.M, BMNP, and Northwest Highlands even more. As is, a person can hold Parr State, Wilberforce, Winmalee, and Warragamba (4 regions) for a +12 bonus, or they can hold Winmalee and Warragamba (2 regions) for a +9.

What you may need to do is reduce each of the bonuses by 1, or perhaps combine the Upper BM and Lower BM bonuses into one continent at a +5 or something like that. That is, unless you're opposed to adding some sort of long range connection into the region, but I know you strive for geographic authenticity.. Maybe there can be a one way attack from Sydney to the Dam region, since you said that the dam is the sole provider of power to Sydney? Just an idea, let me know how you'd like to proceed.

I have stated before and indeed just above that i don't want this map to have any other style of gameplay than classic.
Therefore any long range assaults across other territories of any kind are out of the question.
i am quite happy to reduce bonuses if that fits the criteria of getting some balance.
I have also added next version a bridge between Richmond and Winmalee (true to life) so there is one more assault path into the Blue Mountains to make it less isolated.

I'll also do some research to see if it possible that walking/hiking trails exist from Parr down to Bilpin and then to Katoomba.
That might be any another avenue to have that less closed off.
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Sat May 05, 2012 5:17 am

cairnswk wrote:i am quite happy to reduce bonuses if that fits the criteria of getting some balance.
I have also added next version a bridge between Richmond and Winmalee (true to life) so there is one more assault path into the Blue Mountains to make it less isolated.

this is good, and can be improved more by combining the upper bm and lower bm bonuses into one of +5 to make the western side less bonus-heavy. also consider blocking off, for example, springwood from blue mountains national park so that the latter cannot attack every single region along the road; it isn't supposed to be a transport hub.

cairnswk wrote:I'll also do some research to see if it possible that walking/hiking trails exist from Parr down to Bilpin and then to Katoomba.

no, do not do this. in fact, i'll go further and encourage u to put mountains between winmalee and kurrajong (i believe the road from winmalee to kurrajong goes thru richmond anyway, across that bridge u're about to add), to provide a barrier between the bonuses that are west and north of the river, so that the preferred strategy for this map is not just to take an easy western or northern bonus, then expand to the next easy adjacent bonus and so on to win the game without going anywhere near either the middle of the map or sydney itself.

etalong and narrabean ought to be ettalong and narrabeen respectively.

the northeast isn't quite right. there isn't an easy way to reach ettalong by road unless u go thru woy woy. it's the other way round on our map. we can make this corner bonus less attractive by removing the bridge to kuringai-chase and reducing its bonus from +2 to +1.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [5.5.12] P8-V12 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 05, 2012 6:11 am

iancanton wrote:
cairnswk wrote:i am quite happy to reduce bonuses if that fits the criteria of getting some balance.

this is good, and can be improved more by combining the upper bm and lower bm bonuses into one of +5 to make the western side less bonus-heavy. also consider blocking off, for example, springwood from blue mountains national park so that the latter cannot attack every single region along the road; it isn't supposed to be a transport hub.

do we really have to combine those two bonuses...i'm totally not in favour of it. i'd prefer to have a couple of small bonuses there to capture to even with the east side...
but i have added the mountains between springwood and BM NP.

cairnswk wrote:I'll also do some research to see if it possible that walking/hiking trails exist from Parr down to Bilpin and then to Katoomba.

no, do not do this. in fact, i'll go further and encourage u to put mountains between winmalee and kurrajong (i believe the road from winmalee to kurrajong goes thru richmond anyway, across that bridge u're about to add), to provide a barrier between the bonuses that are west and north of the river, so that the preferred strategy for this map is not just to take an easy western or northern bonus, then expand to the next easy adjacent bonus and so on to win the game without going anywhere near either the middle of the map or sydney itself.

Grose River added there as the impassables instead of mountains, and there is now a bridge from Richmond to Kurrajong.

etalong and narrabean ought to be ettalong and narrabeen respectively.

Done.

the northeast isn't quite right. there isn't an easy way to reach ettalong by road unless u go thru woy woy. it's the other way round on our map. we can make this corner bonus less attractive by removing the bridge to kuringai-chase and reducing its bonus from +2 to +1.

that bridge represents the railway bridge that can be traversed at a pinch to get into those regions, so yes it can be crossed...i'd rather not lose it otherwise it makes that corner too closed off.

Version 12....
Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [5.5.12] P8-V12 Gameplay?

Postby iancanton on Sun May 06, 2012 4:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:this is good, and can be improved more by combining the upper bm and lower bm bonuses into one of +5 to make the western side less bonus-heavy.

do we really have to combine those two bonuses...i'm totally not in favour of it. i'd prefer to have a couple of small bonuses there to capture to even with the east side...

nolefan5311 wrote:What you may need to do is reduce each of the bonuses by 1

these two bonus zones are small, but +3 and +4 are not both small bonuses. +2 and +3 may qualify as small bonuses.

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:mountains between winmalee and kurrajong (i believe the road from winmalee to kurrajong goes thru richmond anyway, across that bridge u're about to add), to provide a barrier between the bonuses that are west and north of the river, so that the preferred strategy for this map is not just to take an easy western or northern bonus, then expand to the next easy adjacent bonus and so on to win the game without going anywhere near either the middle of the map or sydney itself.

Grose River added there as the impassables instead of mountains, and there is now a bridge from Richmond to Kurrajong.

a river works just fine! i'm more comfortable with a +2 bonus for nw highlands instead of +3 because of its corner position.

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:the northeast isn't quite right. there isn't an easy way to reach ettalong by road unless u go thru woy woy. it's the other way round on our map. we can make this corner bonus less attractive by removing the bridge to kuringai-chase and reducing its bonus from +2 to +1.

that bridge represents the railway bridge that can be traversed at a pinch to get into those regions, so yes it can be crossed...i'd rather not lose it otherwise it makes that corner too closed off.

point accepted about being too closed off. however, whether u go by road or rail, u have to go thru woy woy to reach ettalong and the map shows that u have to go thru ettalong to reach woy woy, which is the wrong way round.

is it ku-ring-gai chase national park, not kuringai-chase national park?

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkhome.aspx?id=N0019

londonerry ought to be londonderry and falconbridge is correctly faulconbridge.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [7.5.12] P8-V13 Gameplay?

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 06, 2012 6:11 pm

iancanton wrote:...
these two bonus zones are small, but +3 and +4 are not both small bonuses. +2 and +3 may qualify as small bonuses.

Done!

iancanton wrote:a river works just fine! i'm more comfortable with a +2 bonus for nw highlands instead of +3 because of its corner position.

Done!

iancanton wrote:point accepted about being too closed off. however, whether u go by road or rail, u have to go thru woy woy to reach ettalong and the map shows that u have to go thru ettalong to reach woy woy, which is the wrong way round.

Ettalong was placed as a name off another map, so because of your reasoning i've renamed the region to...Brisbane Water National Park

is it ku-ring-gai chase national park, not kuringai-chase national park?

Done, although i've seen it spelled differently again elsewhere

londonerry ought to be londonderry and falconbridge is correctly faulconbridge.

Done! :)

Version 13.
Private cairnswk

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue May 08, 2012 2:17 pm

I really like this map. A lot of small bonuses without neutrals everywhere. Beta this shit already.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:I really like this map. A lot of small bonuses without neutrals everywhere. Beta this shit already.

Ah...DoomYoshi, thank you for your comments...but if it is "shit" (and i know it's only an expression that is used loosely) then it doesn't deserved to be BETAed ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 am

Let's get this one moved on up...

Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 10, 2012 1:37 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:Let's get this one moved on up...

Thanks nolefan5311..most unexpected. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Okay here is the first graphical concern. Your crosswalks aren't consistent. See image below. On some you have the crosswalk lines going from from one side of the road to the other side, while others go with the road. Also "Cove" in Lane Cove kind of gets lost with the outline (see second image. Can you reduce Blacktown and just not have the road meet as a four corner? In this way you can have Lane Cove a little bigger and move the name so it doesn't go over the outline
ImageImage
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Sydney [12.5.12] P8-V14 GFX?

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay here is the first graphical concern. Your crosswalks aren't consistent. See image below. On some you have the crosswalk lines going from from one side of the road to the other side, while others go with the road. Also "Cove" in Lane Cove kind of gets lost with the outline (see second image. Can you reduce Blacktown and just not have the road meet as a four corner? In this way you can have Lane Cove a little bigger and move the name so it doesn't go over the outline
ImageImage

Ped Crossings fixed - they should are be very clear and run the same way now. ;)
Lane Cove Fixed.
Bridges from Richmond to west are re-coloured correctly.

Still to do...fixing the borders so they are the same as i have done around Heathcote and Waterfall.

Version 14.
Private cairnswk

Postby Nola_Lifer on Tue May 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey, the border lines are thicker in some spots; i.e., S.E. Suburbs and Southern Highlands, while most of the others are thinner. Love how clean this map looks.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Hey, the border lines are thicker in some spots; i.e., S.E. Suburbs and Southern Highlands, while most of the others are thinner. Love how clean this map looks.

Yes that was in my last post that i was still in process of fixing that ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Wed May 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Hey, the border lines are thicker in some spots; i.e., S.E. Suburbs and Southern Highlands, while most of the others are thinner. Love how clean this map looks.

That whole statement sounds like an oxymoron.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 16, 2012 11:30 pm

chapcrap wrote:

chapcrap, i appreciate your post, but critisizing other's posts will only serve to deter them from posting, and there is little enough proactive posting done in the foundry these days. I would rather keep quiet than offer something that doesn't advance or encourage the map if i can't find domething decent to say.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 am

cairnswk wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

chapcrap, i appreciate your post, but critisizing other's posts will only serve to deter them from posting, and there is little enough proactive posting done in the foundry these days. I would rather keep quiet than offer something that doesn't advance or encourage the map if i can't find domething decent to say.

Are you trying to discourage me from posting? ;)

I was just saying that it doesn't make sense what he said. He says that the borders aren't that great and then calls the map clean. That's contradictory. It wasn't a personal attack.
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas