Quad Cities Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Quad Cities Map

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:The map with Sullivan's recommended bonus revisions.

\:D/ Looks great!

EDIT: Quoted irons so the image could be at the top of this page.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Please keep the latest version of the map on the first page of the topic, along with any gameplay information like territory counts, neutral values, and so on.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:34 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Please keep the latest version of the map on the first page of the topic, along with any gameplay information like territory counts, neutral values, and so on.

No problem.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby ironsij0287 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:48 am

So, anything else? I'm good as it stands right now as far as gameplay unless someone has any more input.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Actually, I think this is pretty good. Rock Island might be a little bit overpowered, but on a map this big that might not be relevant. 70 is a good number of territories, and I don't see any other major problem points. If no one else raises an issue, I'll promote this.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:18 am

No comments? Good. Looks like a promotion here.

ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 am

\:D/ Very nice.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:15 am

Onto Graphics. I would imagine there'll be some comments/suggestions here.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:19 pm

My only quibble is the boxes that have the names of the bonus areas are just not quick-reference friendly, nor does it look aesthetically splendid. Honestly, I'm not really sure what a good alternative would be, though.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:My only quibble is the boxes that have the names of the bonus areas are just not quick-reference friendly, nor does it look aesthetically splendid. Honestly, I'm not really sure what a good alternative would be, though.

Yeah. But I do at least have the bonus numbers on the small map to accompany them.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Would troop number circles or whatever you call them be a good idea? I'm thinking in some of the regions it might help a little.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Postby MrBenn on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:53 pm

This is a very good-looking map - it's good to see somebody with a good attitude too ;-)

I'll have a more in-depth look later, and have some thoughts about how to take it from good to great ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:06 pm

For the graphics, where do you want to see this map go, ironsij? Is your intent to develop it more into what looks like a tabletop foldable map? A brochure map for the area? Or something with that sort of theme? (Indian Empire, High Seas, Route 66, etc) Or more a simply crafted map with minimal aesthetics (Australia, Charelston, Greenland, etc).

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Probably the latter with minimal aesthetics. I used up so much space with the territories and labels that trying to add any additional effects to the map in my opinion would really muddy it up.
Sergeant ironsij0287

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 pm

You could try to add a sort of image to your background, maybe something related with the zone the map shows or just a texture instead of using that green background because your map looks like it's floating on a strange green substance.
You could also work a bit on river, the water can be improved a bit to look a bit less flat (charleston map is a good example) and the river edges should have softer changes of directions, less "angular".
Did you try to draw thinner creek where they start?
A question, probably a stupid one since the first time i read your map title i thought about one of this :oops: , but because there's that empty space between the Mississippi, Big Island and Turkey Hollow?
Isn't rivers and creeks redundant? I think that something like rivers are only passable by bridge is enough. or not? :-k
Your signature is hard to read imo.
Swap the position of armies and name in Campbell.
I tested the map on vischeck, the colors look fine and your good minimap is a nice addition.

Could you please post a version with yellow and orange 888 on the zones with the same colors? I don't think there will be problems since numbers have a black outline, but just to be sure... O:)

On the whole it's a nice map, you're on the right way!

Nobodies :)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas