Conquer Club

Conquer Rome (The Fall of the Roman Empire) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Fall of the Roman Empire (Conquer Rome)

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:30 am

Looks awesome Kaba, lookin forward to playing it. :)
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Arama86n on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 am

=D> =D>
Major Arama86n

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 am

Industrial Helix wrote:I think i favor the second version, but only if you put the same painting texture that you used int he first example. Red is more Roman to me.

Out of curiosity... what's the logic behind having two Barbarian spaces instead of one?

Originally I intended to have only 1 space - The Barbarian Tribes. But after much consideration on the subject I ended realizing that might a good idea to have a second line from where you could retake the 'Base Tribe' - It would make it harder for the emperor to control these points from his seat.

From those 'Augustus', you'll have to send troops to the tribe to then take the second line - it would be too easier to just clear them from the seat itself without having to move any troops
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 am

As for the barbarian tribes that should be included here, I think we should keep the more representative ones even if they might be a little 'offside' in this time-scope.

Like I said before: this map is not totally restrained to a closed period in Europe and Roman History - the players will make their own History :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:46 am

Kabanellas wrote:As for the barbarian tribes that should be included here, I think we should keep the more representative ones even if they might be a little 'offside' in this time-scope.

Like I said before: this map is not totally restrained to a closed period in Europe and Roman History - the players will make their own History :)

I agree with this method for the Barbarians... but I wonder if maybe Scots would do better for where the Saxons currently are and I'd like to see the Alamanni as one of the tribes... after all, its where half of Europe gets the word German from.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm

This one is ready for a move... here's hoping for a speedy trip through the gameplay workshop.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 am

Industrial Helix wrote:This one is ready for a move... here's hoping for a speedy trip through the gameplay workshop.

Thanks a lot Helix :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 am

Industrial Helix wrote: I'd like to see the Alamanni as one of the tribes... after all, its where half of Europe gets the word German from.

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the Alamanni never really crossed the borders and settled in the empire regions......
Major Kabanellas

Postby theBastard on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:58 am

Kabanellas wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote: I'd like to see the Alamanni as one of the tribes... after all, its where half of Europe gets the word German from.

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the Alamanni never really crossed the borders and settled in the empire regions......

yes they crossed and banished Romans from area known as Agri Decumates. it was around Rhyne river. but they were never too important and later they were included to Frankish Empire.

so, my advice, when Alemanni will be there:

from Angles do Anglo-Saxons. Franks remove to Saxons position and to Frank´s position add Alemanni. but Burgundians are better choose as Alemanni for me...
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Re: Conquer Rome (The Fall of the Roman Empire)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Not totally sold to idea of changing barbarian tribes....

Anyway, I've updated some of the artwork and relocated Sirmium to the region were it should be. We should start talking about game-play now. Is there any thing that might be worrying here?

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby theBastard on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

when Barbarian outpost are autodeploy, also capitals of Dioceses could be...

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:24 am

I have just three comments about this map:

1) I wanna play it.

2) I WANNA PLAY IT!!

3) I WANNA PLAY IT!!!
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 am

:D :D :D :D
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:08 am

theBastard wrote:when Barbarian outpost are autodeploy, also capitals of Dioceses could be...

Diocesis capitals will not start neutral so they shouldn't' yield any bonus alone. Also, I don't think that conceptually, Barbarians having autodeploy-bonus would mean that capitals should have it too :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby theBastard on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 am

Kabanellas wrote:
theBastard wrote:when Barbarian outpost are autodeploy, also capitals of Dioceses could be...

Diocesis capitals will not start neutral so they shouldn't' yield any bonus alone. Also, I don't think that conceptually, Barbarians having autodeploy-bonus would mean that capitals should have it too :)

than Romans are realy in ass :lol:

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 am

Okay this map is due for a bump... and review (sorry for the delay Kab)

First, let me say that this map is beautiful as always, epic as always, and the history engrossing as always. :)

That said, the gameplay may be your most ambitious yet, although it may only seem that way to me because of my problems reading the legend :? In fact after reading, re-reading and finally getting some guidance from Kab via PM I'm fairly certain that the gameplay framework itself is solid. The details, such as placements, can be debated later, but primarily I think the bulk of the work for this forum will be organizing the legend.

On that note, here are my concerns about the legend:
(1) The Text is not easy on my eyes. When there's a big block of text, such as in the lower left section or the upper right about the Emperor, the font becomes a real chore to read. Every single letter in the font is actually quite legible, but when it all comes together- particularly on the small map- it seems like someone shouting in all caps in a long paragraph. I like complex maps, but every time I read this legend I feel a sense of dread similar to searching for abbreviations in Waterloo (luckily I've memorized all of those).

Solution: Reducing the number of words would certainly ease my textaphobia. The font itself, well I'm no font expert as anyone can attest but maybe there's something out there that would work better...

(2) The Bonuses are written out in long sentences, and refer to places on the map that aren't readily identifiable for me. For instance, when I read that Diocese Capitals one way assault their respective Vicarious in the Roman Government, I honestly didn't see a Vicarious for quite some time. I looked up above and the word 'Vicarious' was lost in the fog of all that was up there. So I looked on the lands, in other corners... no dice. Having to go on safari for the name of a bonus will happen from time to time in any complex map, but usually I'll know at least the general area to look in (such as the land, other parts of the legend, etc.). In this case the words "Roman Government" might have given me a clue, except that I wasn't sure if the phrase referred to an actual part of the map or just flavor text (the Roman Government label I didn't notice until my sixth look at the map).

Solution: Again reducing the text so that the bonuses appear more as a list would help enormously. I think most CC players are used to digesting bonuses that way, and I think there are places where this could be acheived.
Also, since the bonus text will refer to different parts of the map often, I think using the symbols as much as possible will aid tremendously. The Third Crusade map used symbols to good effect for a huge laundry list of bonuses. In this map, the Diocese symbol was very helpful- I immediately identified the two areas of text that talked about Diocese Capitals. But the Emperor, the Praetors, the Vicarus... they get lost without any color or symbol to draw the eye.

(3) The Roman Government has this cool background which unfortunately just makes the font even harder to read. And the red text in particular starts to blend in.

Well this post was more wordy than I wanted it to be, but it's late so it will have to stand as is. Sorry for all of the words.

Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks a lot Marshal for your time and feedback :)

the big part of what you stated here (very valid concerns I might add) belong to the graphics part and I would feel more comfortable of leaving that study for when we settled the gameplay - I'm used to see things changing a lot and graphics become outdated due to game-play changes...

Anyway, I think that you've touched a good point with the icon/symbols part - that would be very helpful on comprehending the map. I'll get my hands dirty now and try to find a viable solution for that. ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby jigger1986 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:15 am

Just release it now! It looks incredible and I cant wait to play it.
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby Nola_Lifer on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I think you need to spread the Barb tribes out more or get rid of Sassanid or add Muslim/N/ African tribes. All of the Barb tribes are in Europe and right on top of each other while Sassanid stands by itself. Seems a bit unbalanced there.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 am

jigger1986 wrote:Just release it now! It looks incredible and I cant wait to play it.

This map is unfortunately not going anywhere until it has met the gameplay standard. Broadly speaking, that means:
(1) Clear framework that ties into concept
(2) Balance
(3) Clarity

Once these three general criteria are met, you will have your wish Jigger. If you want this map to move along, please comment in any or all of the above areas, with critique that either analyzes, supports or rejects certain aspects of the map as it stands.

In other words, to keep this map from languishing, be specific. If you like the map, tell the community what specfically (gameplay-wise) you like about the map and why you think it meets or exceeds the criteria above. As it stands, the lack of specific community feedback- positive or negative- has me feeling that the gameplay isn't clear enough to comment upon, which means that number (3) in the above list needs work. The historical and artistic aspects of the map are attractive, but without gameplay that is not merely functional, but high-quality, it's just not going to go forward.

Kabanellas wrote:the big part of what you stated here (very valid concerns I might add) belong to the graphics part and I would feel more comfortable of leaving that study for when we settled the gameplay - I'm used to see things changing a lot and graphics become outdated due to game-play changes...

Understandable that you don't want to make many graphical changes if the gameplay will mutate wildly ;)

However, my biggest concern, and what will probably continue to be a concern until it's addressed in a significant fashion, is clarity. The gameplay must be clear for this map to get a stamp. The things that I brought up were intended largely to that end.

Nola_Lifer wrote:I think you need to spread the Barb tribes out more or get rid of Sassanid or add Muslim/N/ African tribes. All of the Barb tribes are in Europe and right on top of each other while Sassanid stands by itself. Seems a bit unbalanced there.

I share this worry as well. I'm not a huge fan of how the Barbarian tribes are all going to get into each other's hair right away, except one. Personally I'd like to see them more spread out, but history also plays a part here... still I think there are historical incursions that could be included that might serve this purpose, if the idea worked with the concept that Kabs has in mind.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:14 am

Guys, I'm having some terrible last weeks - projects to finish and deliver among other personal stuff!!

With the free spare time (and mind) that I find, I keep juggling things on the map - and honestly I'm finding a bit hard at this point to make the game-play more perceptible than it is :(

Tried the symbols situation, but couldn't make them fit there... But I'll keep trying (I'm resilient enough) ;) .

btw Marshal, people didn't comment much on the King Court's thread before it went BETA (especially about the game-play) - so I'm not totally concerned about the same happening here. :)
Last edited by Kabanellas on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Kabanellas

Postby Nola_Lifer on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm

What about roads. Rome was known for its well connected roads. Can you find a way to connect the map with roads that allow for someone to move across the board quickly.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Yeah, and they all need to one-way assault Rome.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Rodion on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Kabanellas wrote:
Rodion wrote:Should be a great map, Nuno!

One thing I'd like to see is territories with real city/province names instead of codes like AFI, AFII, AFIII, AFIV and AFV. Do you think that can be done? :)

ohhh... How I wish. Unfortunatly I don't have the space for it especially on the small map. Also, I've merged some provinces in some areas of the Empire, so, if for some we could actually refer to them by their accurate historical name on the merged ones we couldn't.

Maps can be bigger now, so space might not be a problem anymore. I don't personally mind the lack of accuracy arising from merged provinces (maybe you could go with the "_____ & _____" format?) if we can keep the map more "historical" and less looking like a chess board with all the codes (AF IV) and stuff.
General Rodion

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:12 pm

Rodion wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:
Rodion wrote:Maps can be bigger now, so space might not be a problem anymore. I don't personally mind the lack of accuracy arising from merged provinces (maybe you could go with the "_____ & _____" format?) if we can keep the map more "historical" and less looking like a chess board with all the codes (AF IV) and stuff.

I support this. I'd prefer territory names to alpha-numeric code.
Cook Industrial Helix

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas